Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Triggers  (Read 267 times)

Offline Katiesue04

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • You only live once!
    • Poke This Member
Triggers
« on: June 17, 2014, 08:47:08 AM »
How do you deal with triggers?  Obviously you can't avoid everything at all costs.  It took me a couple days to figure out that I was definitely triggered in my last therapy session.  Now that I know I was triggered that is all I can think about.  My next therapy session isn't until Monday but this trigger is eating away at me.  Ugh how can I deal until Monday when I can finally talk over my trigger with her.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Triggers
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 09:36:03 AM »
A trigger is something to sort of kicks in and starts your anxiety off. For some it may be cars. Others elevators. Various things. But a good lot of them we can't avoid. So we have to try and learn how to deal with them. Why are they triggering our anxiety. What can we do to stop the trigger from making us anxious. As it stands now you are already living days ahead of yourself. Living in the next therapy session already. Time to come back to today. Live next week when it comes around. I assume something was said in the therapy session that made you anxious? Maybe keep a journal of your triggers. Why you think they are triggers. What they make you think of when you encounter one. How they make you feel. You can do this at home. Come the next therapy session you can bring your journal with you. Explain what you have been doing. Exploring your triggers. It will be seen as a step forward by your therapist. The fact that you are doing it during sessions. The more you learn about it and face it the weaker the trigger will become.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Rob783

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 01:06:52 PM »
In all honesty you shouldn't avoid your triggers at all cost.  More avoidance means more anxiety when you have to deal with it.  The best way to deal with triggers is slight exposure to them in a controlled setting.  For example I hate public places especially crowded places. So I go out and sit in a crowded place for 10 mins and leave.  Slowly your trigger wont be as bad.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Katiesue04

Exhausted
  • You only live once!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 05:57:23 PM »
My trigger is more health related...as a child I had to deal with my dad having leukemia(basically alone no family support). Now my coworker has a terminal illness and I see my anxiety flaring up again.  My therapist asked me a couple weeks ago if she thought I was a perfectionist and it turns out I am and that talk triggered something.  I turned into a perfectionist when my father was going through leukemia(thought I had to support the family so I wanted to get the best grades and worked three jobs in high school).  Went to college graduated got the job I have now.  Dealing with a coworker that has terminal illness and I can see my perfectionism/anxiety getting worse as I feel I have to fill his void when he is out of the office at the hospital.  Can't avoid work right now.  Just in a tough situation.  Need to explain it to the therapist and hopefully it will make me feel better but I can't do that until Monday and it's driving me insane.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kcg13

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • My mind ... both a blessing AND a curse ...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 11:40:33 PM »
I can understand where you are coming from.  When I was a senior in high school, my mom had breast cancer.  I felt like I needed to support her, not in the same way you felt, but I ended up giving up some stuff my senior year that I really wanted to do in order to help take care of her.  I can see where your co-worker has triggered some stuff - I am sure I would feel the same way.  I actually think it is kind of you to help relieve his workload while he is at the hospital - as long as it is not to the point that it is driving you crazy and you are not neglecting yourself or your family.  You don't have to be perfect and have everything perfect, but being helpful and stepping up isn't necessarily a bad thing.  I don't have specific advice for you except that you don't have to be a perfectionist in this situation.  Give yourself the grace to just be helpful - not perfect.  it is not your job to completely fill his job, but if you can help, then that is always appreciated - but not helping to the point of killing yourself.  It is about letting things go with this co-worker.  Maybe some positive self talk might help - one of my favorites I use on myself is "all I can do, is what I can do" (at the moment). You can only do so much, and that's ok.  Be helpful, but take care of yourself - you will make it to the next appt where you can get the professional advice!
Bookmark and Share
Our thoughts dictate our emotions .... in other words, how you think is what you will feel.

Offline Katiesue04

Exhausted
  • You only live once!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 08:19:57 AM »
Thank you so much kcg that was very thoughtful and maybe me feel a little better :)  You are right I will make it to my next therapist appointment I always do lol!  Today is Wednesday and I am dealing with Wednesday only today :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline kcg13

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • My mind ... both a blessing AND a curse ...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 12:52:39 PM »
Glad it was helpful ...one day & one thing at a time!
Bookmark and Share
Our thoughts dictate our emotions .... in other words, how you think is what you will feel.

Offline afj0823

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 11:47:05 AM »
Maybe keep a journal of your triggers. Why you think they are triggers. What they make you think of when you encounter one. How they make you feel. You can do this at home. Come the next therapy session you can bring your journal with you. Explain what you have been doing. Exploring your triggers. It will be seen as a step forward by your therapist. The fact that you are doing it during sessions. The more you learn about it and face it the weaker the trigger will become.

Smartest advice. I know this seems so simple, but i keep journals of my achievements but still suffer from anxiety from loud sounds, and smells. And reading this made me think of my  main reasons the anxiety got worse for me.
Thanks for this simple advice, and i like also what the other poster said about slight exposure, im reading the anxiety and phobia workbook and it discusses this extensively.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: