Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Boyfriend with Occasional Depression/Suicidal Thoughts  (Read 193 times)

Offline saffron

• Dare to be different
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Boyfriend with Occasional Depression/Suicidal Thoughts
« on: June 16, 2014, 10:45:28 PM »
My boyfriend suffers from depression sometimes, depression so bad that he feels suicidal. He's never actually been diagnosed by a professional, but it runs in his family, and he's told me that he's pretty sure it is depression. His suicidal thoughts are no where near as bad or as frequent as they used to be, but a lot of the time they show up at random without warning, and when they do, I have no idea how to help him, because I've never been in his place before. My best friend was suicidal, and I was able to bring her out of it, but she and my boyfriend are very different people, with depression for different reasons.

Does anyone have any advice for that kind of a situation?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Boyfriend with Occasional Depression/Suicidal Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 05:45:48 AM »
Obviously he has some form of mood changing disorder. He may be slightly bi polar. Go from good to bad in the space of a minute. It can be like a tap. Never know when the bad is going to be turned on. Just try and get him talking about himself and how he feels and if his thoughts are directed towards anybody at all. As in, is there is a reason he is feeling like this. May be something from his past. Something might trigger him and his mind then begins to change. He gets these bad thoughts. But just been there, as you are, is a great thing. Shows how loving you really are. Is always great to have a person like that around. More just trying to get a full understanding of him. Even if you could get him to begin a journal. Work with him on the journal. It might help him to understand his own mind even better.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline poppadr3w

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Boyfriend with Occasional Depression/Suicidal Thoughts
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 08:47:23 AM »
My boyfriend suffers from depression sometimes, depression so bad that he feels suicidal. He's never actually been diagnosed by a professional, but it runs in his family, and he's told me that he's pretty sure it is depression. His suicidal thoughts are no where near as bad or as frequent as they used to be, but a lot of the time they show up at random without warning, and when they do, I have no idea how to help him, because I've never been in his place before. My best friend was suicidal, and I was able to bring her out of it, but she and my boyfriend are very different people, with depression for different reasons.

Does anyone have any advice for that kind of a situation?

Encourage your boyfriend to seek professional help to gain stability in his life.,

Just as important, stick by him. These situations are tough and may strain a relationship, but staying together and weathering the storm as a couple will make your relationship stronger.

I am happy to see that you care enough to come to a forum and ask for advice. Many people these days would just drop out of the relationship thinking that it takes too much work.

Many people feel better when they are more active. Maybe find some activities that keep you both moving around, such as general exercise, sports, or even taking walks, especially on sunny days to get adequate amounts of vitamin D. Help him find hobbies that he enjoys and embrace them with him, or at least support him.

Best of luck!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: