Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anyone getting Anxious about taking anxiety meds?  (Read 192 times)

Offline lilyofthevalley

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anyone getting Anxious about taking anxiety meds?
« on: June 16, 2014, 09:01:14 PM »
What a dilemma!! I finally had my doc prescribe me some Anxiety medication, and I filled it, but haven't taken it because I am afraid of any side effects.

My doctor prescribed me a drug called Citropram 10mg. I only took anxiety meds once before, Prozac, and I was off it in less then two weeks because I hated the side effects. That was over two years ago.

Anyone else ever anxious over taking their anxiety medication?

Bookmark and Share

Online Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anyone getting Anxious about taking anxiety meds?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 10:30:57 PM »
Hi Lily,

Here is my  :twocents: 2 Cents worth of my experiences.

I have taken over 12 different antidepressants, including Prozac.

Citalopram (Celexa) is by far the gentlest one I have ever taken when it comes to side effects  :yes:, Prozac is one of the MOST stimulating ones and had many harsh side effects at first, - so your doctor prescribed an excellent choice for someone who is sensitive to medications,* Like me...  ::)

A couple of things that really helped me - when I was terrified of taking my first meds:

1)  I will usually take 1/2 the dosage for the first couple of days - and then go up - the doctor already put on 10 mg which half of the usual 20 mg starting dosage.  You can still get a pill cutter and cut the 10 mg in half, until you get comfortable.

(Celexa (citalopram HBr) should be administered at an initial dose of 20 mg once daily, with an increase to a maximum dose of 40 mg/day at an interval of no less than one week. Doses above 40 mg/day are not recommended )

2)  Invite a friend or relative to be with you when you take the first dose, = I know this really lowered my anxiety about taking the medication - my friend can always help if something goes wrong (of course, nothing serious ever happened)  But it was so comforting to have someone there.

Some Additional Tips that really helped:

3)  Having your doctor or psychiatrist prescribe  a low dose of Benzodiazepine along with your AD (Celexa), just in case you need it.

The problem most people have when starting an AD, including me on Prozac, was the initial side effects actually increased my anxiety, which made even more anxious, that I wanted to stop using it.  Many psychiatrist now prescribe a low dosage of  Benzodiazepine to lower the anxiety and side effects of my AD. (Prozac) in my case, so I could stay on it long enough (4-6 weeks) so it could do its magic! 

4)  Having the benzodiazepine on hand - is a good backup plan, just in case you start having increased anxiety, it will provide some quick relief, until Celexa kicks in...  And even, if you find out you don't need it, it is always nice to have it just in case...   :happy0151:

We are cheering for You  :sign0111:

Keep us informed on your great progress  :action-smiley-065:

I had an earlier post regarding the use of "Combination Medication" and how helpful it was for me:

Side Note:  Medications are a wonderful tool that can be used by your doctor to quickly and safely bring a HALT to these unnecessary Panic attacks and anxieties – Combination Medication Therapy along with  the wonderful CBT and mental therapy and techniques that will PUT YOU BACK IN CONTROL.

Combination Medication Therapy
1.   Having your doctor or psychiatrist use both an Antidepressant/SSRI and a low dose of Benzodiazepine I have had the most successful experience. 
2.   The Antidepressants will antidepressants take up to 4 to 6 weeks to begin relieving anxiety symptoms  and in some people if used alone it can actually increase anxiety (as It did with me…) .  Which is one reason I had such a hard time staying on antidepressant.
3.   The benzodiazepines are fast acting anxiety blockers (brings relief within 30-60 minutes) and can help shield you from anxiety attacks that may initially arise from the SSRI or Antidepressant you are taking.

Combination Medication Therapy - The strategy is to hold the individual on low-dose benzodiazepines (e.g., alprazolam 0.25 to 0.5 mg tid or qid plus antidepressant) for four to eight weeks. When the patient's panic has abated and antidepressant levels are adequate, the benzodiazepine can be slowly withdrawn.
http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/articles/ssris

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 11:02:44 PM »
Good luck!  Never-Quit's advice is great. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kavenchols

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 04:03:03 AM »
Hello, Studies indicate that depending on the diagnosis and the drug being prescribed, anxiety is considered a often more common side effect...
Bookmark and Share

Offline lilyofthevalley

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 09:58:12 PM »
Hello Everyone! Still have not taken the medication... I chickened out. However, I have a plan to start it this weekend at the start of my vacation. My husband agreed to stay up with me and make sure that I am okay after I take the meds.

I know I need to take the medication. My anxiety has been getting worse and worse. I just really hope I can get up the courage to take the medication!
Bookmark and Share

Online Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 10:23:26 PM »
Sounds great  :grinning-smiley-003:

We will be cheering for you  :action-smiley-065:

I am confident that you will start progressing and healing very quickly to bright future ahead of you !!!   :nature-smiley-016:

Keep us informed on your progress  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline lilyofthevalley

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 09:46:17 AM »
Thank you for your positivity!! I really needed that. I did take it last night. So far, so good. A bit tired this morning, but I am not sure if that is a drug side effect or not since I wasn't tired last night after I took it. I hope this works. Feel proud that I actually took the medication!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 10:32:22 AM »
All the time. Mainly because I have had a bad experience with Sertraline in the past. I was suffering from severe insomnia and severe sexual side effects even after 5 weeks of being on the meds. The sexual side-effects were not that bad - I could deal with them. But the insomnia drove me crazy. And therefore there was no actual relief from my anxiety because the side-effects of the drug not only masked the anti-anxiety effects, but they also increased my anxiety. And the side-effects didn't appear straight away - they progressively got worse over the weeks. My sleep was becoming less and less each night and the sexual side effects was increasing in severity as well. So I decided to throw in the towel. I tried so hard to keep going because it is very common to have side-effects and increased anxiety at first - but after 5 weeks, I just started to lose hope.

However, I am now on Citalopram just like you (20mg/day). Although I am getting the same side-effects, unlike the previous antidepressant, they started instantly but now they are getting less severe over time (I'm only on week 3 at the moment). So this gives me some hopes about this med. Not only that, but there has been a few days in which I have felt good and thought to myself (wow these meds are actually working) - so I suspect it will start to get better from now on.

One thing I have to say is this: if you start to worry about the side-effects, the anti-anxiety effects may become masked (that is what I believed happened to me before). Not only may the anti-anxiety effects become masked, but you may also get an increase in anxiety over the side-effects (again, this is what I believed happened to me). So the meds could be working, but your increased anxiety over the side-effects may make you believe they are not working.

You have to work with the antidepressants. And don't expect them to be magical pills. And definitely expect to get side-effects - but realise that they are just side-effects from the medicine. If you can deal with the side-effects, and therefore not allow them to worry you, then you will definitely get relief from the meds. All meds have side-effects - worrying about them does you no favours neither does it help with the anxiety. I think I learnt this the hard way because I worried excessively over the side-effects.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: