Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: After Images  (Read 114 times)

Offline Anth

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
After Images
« on: June 16, 2014, 08:43:17 PM »
Hi, i am new to this forum and i just want to bring up an issue which has been playing on my mind lately. Whenever i stare or sometimes look at my teacher's face and immediately glance towards the wall i get a after image of there face which vanishes when i blink or look away. This only happens when i make try to get the after image but it has scared me as i have never heard of anyone getting after images like i am. I have had my eyes checked and they are fine and i am getting a CT scan tomorrow morning to make sure it isn't a neurological issue. I do have anxiety and could this be the reason why i am getting after images like that? I am really worried as i mentioned and it will be great if i could get a reply, thank you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrsdmilkman

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: After Images
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 08:59:04 PM »
Ive done that before. Never really worried about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline celiacruz12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 09:16:16 PM »
I have after images that stay there for a long time, but do you were glasses cuz I do and maybe its related.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Heg

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 09:19:46 PM »
I think what you're describing is something everybody gets and is due to the way the eyes work. If we stare at a certain scene / image for a long time without looking away, the light receptors at the back of our eyes temporarily run out of pigment they use to send signals to the brain and stop being able to work (this is because they get overstimulated as they're not given a break to replenish this pigment). We don't notice it happen at the time, because while we keep looking at the same thing our brain cleverly fills in the image for us, but the moment we look away and see something new, they need a minute to catch up before they start to work again. What this then does, as we have different light receptors for different colours, is give us a kind of photo-negative after-image of whatever it is we've been staring at that lasts for a brief moment. It's especially obvious if what we switch our gaze to is an uninteresting flat surface (like your wall). It's completely normal, and even the basis for some cool optical illusions like these http://psychology.about.com/od/sensationandperception/ss/negative-photo-illusion.htm
Bookmark and Share