Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Elevated tumor marker  (Read 207 times)

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Elevated tumor marker
« on: June 16, 2014, 03:09:21 PM »
GYN tells me one of my tumor markers is elevated, but it's "not a great diagnostic tool" so I need to get it retested in three months.

I'm waiting for him to call me back, because I always think of questions AFTER I hang up the damn phone.  But in the meantime I'm just freaking out. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Elevated tumor marker
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 03:29:41 PM »
why did they measure this for you?
Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 03:33:50 PM »
Is there any other testing they can do to insure you this is nothing to worry about? CT, MRI, PET scan something other than watch and wait? Hypos don't do well with that. What were the tumor markers for?
Bookmark and Share

Online sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 205
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 03:43:49 PM »
it seems i recall you were going to have CA125 done because of a cyst?  And you've had this done in the past and it was elevated at that time but, in the end, turned out to be nothing.

was the test the ca125?  if so, and imo, I would take it with a grain of salt.  I've heard how bad the test was and practically just good for freaking women out. So much so, that if my gyno suggested that blood test, I would decline.  If the doc or I was that concerned about a cyst, I would have the cyst removed or, at the very least, biopsied.

sorry that you are now going to be dealing with for another 3 months
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 04:38:17 PM »
I assumed it was the CA125 but didn't ask - that's one of the questions I'm attempting to talk to him about.  Because if so, yeah, it was elevated somewhat with my endometriosis.  (On the other hand, he declared that result "normal" - despite actually being pretty darn high at 249 - so what the heck "slightly elevated" means to him is beyond me; not sure if I should ask for the number or that'll just make it worse.) 

I'm just upset partly because I feel like my best case scen -

Okay, MIDTYPING this, his nurse called back saying the results were all clear except the vitamin D; there was a misunderstanding with the point of my earlier call; she thought I'd simply never heard - and I asked specifically about the CA125 and she said yeah, that was a little elevated, so it was that, and apparently it wasn't something the office felt worth mentioning twice/his nurse felt necessary to mention since I had to ask.  Argh.  This crap is ridiculously confusing. 

Anyway.  I'm upset because best-case scenario, I'm looking at three months of crazy anxiety for nothing.  And while that isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things, it's not really ideal.  And I have NO IDEA how I'm supposed to deal with it because I know darn well how this all turned out last time, but I don't really feel any better about the situation.  And if that doesn't help, what could?
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 09:05:33 PM »
Well, guess I'm not getting a call back tonight.  Oh well; it's not urgent.  I'm actually kind of glad I got to talk to his nurse.  I'm pretty sure she could tell me I had spider eggs in my brain and make me feel like it was no big deal. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: