Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: CBT therapy?  (Read 258 times)

Offline sarahjxde

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
CBT therapy?
« on: June 16, 2014, 12:23:29 PM »
So I've been seeing this therapist for a while now because i have anxiety and a dizziness/fainting phobia, but all we do is talk and I feel that it is not helping me. I am looking into CBT and I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with it?

Also, I just talked to a psychiatrist today and I told her that I was on Prozac and she said that might not work for me because thats more for depression and OCD and can cause extra anxiety. Is that true?
Bookmark and Share

Offline e77

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: CBT therapy?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 12:36:43 PM »
CBT can be helpful, lots of exercises to challenge fears with reason.  It has helped me with episodes of panic, needs consistent practice to be effective, but its pretty straightforward and easy to understand.  Many people try several medications(trial and error) before they come upon the one that helps.  Hope you find the treatment program that works for you soon.  Take care
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 12:47:13 PM »
Can't respond re Prozac, but can praise CBT. Approached it on my own with the Sam Obitz book and his helpful TEA form examples, along with a book from the library. Believe there is even a CBT for Dummies book.

It takes work to learn it on your own, but what can be better than helping ourselves? Learning is wonderful. Am now waiting for a book on ACT (Acceptance, Commitment Therapy) to perhaps buttress or add to CBT. Don't be afraid to look into CBT. There is much to read on the web and even here with some research. If you go to Medication and Therapy section the top saved thread has information and forms for CBT that might get you started.
Bookmark and Share

Offline forever young

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 01:46:01 PM »
I have taken Prozac and it really helped me more than any other anti depressant I have taken. I have panic attacks and agrophobia. It really helped me wish I had stayed on it. I went off after a year and had a time getting back on it due to insomnia. I am still trying to get on something to help. How long have you been on it? It takes about  6- 12 wks to work and then I feel it gets better with more time. How much are you on? You need the right dose. I was on 40 mg for a while and was doing okay on 20 mg. I feel if it works it is a great anti depressant as it gives you energy but for some it is too much. It takes time to find the right anti depressant that works for you. If you think OCD has a lot of anxiety in it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shaggy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 02:31:03 PM »
I'm doing CBT at the moment but I just started seeing her so we haven't done much yet. I was also seeing a therapist and like your experience, all we did was talk and so I looked for a different therapist one that specializes in CBT. I like it way better so far and on our last appointment she thought me how to do progressive muscle relaxation.  I'm going today for an appointment and if I remember correctly she told me she was going to give me some papers to track my moods and negative thoughts. Also I have the book ' the anxiety and phobia workbook' and it helps a lot too. My therapist said she was actually going to recommend it to me if I didn't have it already lol.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sarahjxde

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 07:10:50 PM »
CBT can be helpful, lots of exercises to challenge fears with reason.  It has helped me with episodes of panic, needs consistent practice to be effective, but its pretty straightforward and easy to understand.  Many people try several medications(trial and error) before they come upon the one that helps.  Hope you find the treatment program that works for you soon.  Take care
Thanks for the reply!  I'm Excited to try it out and see if it will help me get my life back again
Bookmark and Share

Offline sarahjxde

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 07:12:59 PM »
Can't respond re Prozac, but can praise CBT. Approached it on my own with the Sam Obitz book and his helpful TEA form examples, along with a book from the library. Believe there is even a CBT for Dummies book.

It takes work to learn it on your own, but what can be better than helping ourselves? Learning is wonderful. Am now waiting for a book on ACT (Acceptance, Commitment Therapy) to perhaps buttress or add to CBT. Don't be afraid to look into CBT. There is much to read on the web and even here with some research. If you go to Medication and Therapy section the top saved thread has information and forms for CBT that might get you started.
I looked up the Sam Obitz book and bought it.im   Hoping that by reading that book and trying CBT will help this fear i have. Thanks for the reply!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sarahjxde

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 07:16:13 PM »
I'm doing CBT at the moment but I just started seeing her so we haven't done much yet. I was also seeing a therapist and like your experience, all we did was talk and so I looked for a different therapist one that specializes in CBT. I like it way better so far and on our last appointment she thought me how to do progressive muscle relaxation.  I'm going today for an appointment and if I remember correctly she told me she was going to give me some papers to track my moods and negative thoughts. Also I have the book ' the anxiety and phobia workbook' and it helps a lot too. My therapist said she was actually going to recommend it to me if I didn't have it already lol.
Thanks for the reply!  I actually do have the anxiety and phobia workbook that I'm currently reading. I hope I can find a good therapist who does CBT since there aren't a lot in my city. Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sarahjxde

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 07:19:26 PM »
I have taken Prozac and it really helped me more than any other anti depressant I have taken. I have panic attacks and agrophobia. It really helped me wish I had stayed on it. I went off after a year and had a time getting back on it due to insomnia. I am still trying to get on something to help. How long have you been on it? It takes about  6- 12 wks to work and then I feel it gets better with more time. How much are you on? You need the right dose. I was on 40 mg for a while and was doing okay on 20 mg. I feel if it works it is a great anti depressant as it gives you energy but for some it is too much. It takes time to find the right anti depressant that works for you. If you think OCD has a lot of anxiety in it.
I've only been on 10 mg prozac for like 2 weeks so I'm on the lowest dose. I'm seeing the person who provides my medicine next week so I'll probably have it increased to 20 mg. I'm glad that it worked for you and hope it does the same for me . Thanks for the reply!
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 07:58:28 AM »
Want to mention that the Obitz book can be subject to criticism. It is not scientific, too short, large print, too personal. Some people prefer Claire Weeks, David Burns, maybe others. But the Obitz book remains my foundation. He starts with childhood (briefly) and that is where I have to start too.

He provides a good number of "Error" categories, errors in thinking (TEA, Thought, Error, Analysis) with examples of TEA. We are working with the brain, not so easy to recondition. Requires patience, commitment, and hope for change.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: