Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Scared of Lymphoma  (Read 178 times)

Offline KirklandHarris

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Scared of Lymphoma
« on: June 16, 2014, 12:50:22 AM »
I originally was scared of a brain tumor, which turned out to be nothing thankfully, however, it took a couple of months to get an MRI so all that worrying left my body in awful condition as I'm sure all of you can imagine. I found that out at the beginning of May, but that's not to say I haven't been worried since then. It wasn't at the level that I previously was, or necessarily about health, but those small health concerns I still had along with having to get A LOT of work done for all of my AP classes for the last month of my senior year still had me a little in shambles. I've only been able to relax for about a week.
So about my lymphoma fears, the main reason I'm so worried about it is because back in January I was laying in bed when my top lip started swelling out of nowhere. It was on the part that points up under my nose, but only on the right side. I wasn't having trouble breathing in a sense that I felt like it was an emergency or anything, but I was panicking pretty badly which might have led to some hyperventilation or something like that. The swelling was completely gone by afternoon the next day. The same thing happened again about 2 months later. I also noticed that soon before that happened, my inner thigh of my right leg look like it had a red patch, kind of like a rash on it, that itched just a little from what I remember. Ever since I've started worrying a lot, I've also noticed that doing physical activities that don't seem difficult will make my heart rate go up to what feels to me like it's probably 120-130. For instance, yesterday I was playing golf, which isn't the most strenuous of activities, and it felt like it was beating that fast at some points throughout the day. Sometimes when this happens, I feel a little out of breath. Nothing crazy, I'm just breathing a little harder than usual. I also sweat more than other people from what I've gathered. It's nothing crazy though, just enough to make my shirt under my armpits wet when it looks like other people aren't having the same problem. I'm not having night sweats by the way. With that being said, I'm in really bad shape compared to what I have been in the past. It's also really hot where I live right now. I also sometimes feel like I have chest congestion, like bronchitis, but a really really mild case. What I mean by that is my chest has that gross mucusy feeling, but just enough to barely even know it's there. My neck and the lymph nodes in my neck also feel sore and a bit big today, but I was messing with them a lot yesterday so that might be the cause.

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ THE ABOVE STATEMENT, I'LL SUMMARIZE AND ADD A FEW MORE SYMPTOMS BELOW
  • Lips swelling up for less than 24 hours on 2 separate occasions
  • Feeling slightly out of breath after doing simple physical activities outside like playing golf
  • Increased heart rate to above 120 when doing said activities
  • Itchy spot on chin (might just be dry skin)
  • Sometimes slightly yellow stool. Makes me think I have decreased liver function or something. I've also heard it can be from GERD though, which I think I have. One time it was very yellow, but it hasn't looked like that since.
  • Feeling like I have slight chest congestion sometimes. It feels most evident after working out, which I've only started doing again in the last week.

The reason I'm so afraid of lymphoma is because I've seen cases where it presents itself in this recurrent swelling of lips and heart problems. Having the other symptoms doesn't ease my anxiety either. However the case reports said that the type of lymphoma that presents itself this way is more common among asians, and I'm white.

I also feel like I should share the classic lymphoma symptoms that I don't have.

• Weight loss. If anything, I've gained maybe 10 pounds over the course of the year.
  • Night sweats
  • Tons of itching, other than that one spot on my chin that might just be dry skin.
  • Fatigue. If I have nothing to do I could sleep for up to 12 hours if I'm feeling lazy, but as soon as I decide to get up if I've had at least 5 or 6 hours I feel fine for most of the day.
  • Fever. As far I can tell, I haven't been having any.

As far as the swollen lymph nodes I'm kind of confused on what to be looking for. Should I even be able to feel them at all if they're not swollen? Because I'm pretty sure I can feel them, but they move around like they're supposed to and they don't feel awfully hard. They feel semi firm, but not really hard. Well, one of them feels kind of hard right now actually but could that just be from me messing with it so much yesterday and today? Even the hardest one just feels like a firm little rubber ball thing in my neck. How hard is too hard?

I'm sure you guys can do a good job of calming me down and taking a rational approach to this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline KirklandHarris

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared of Lymphoma
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 02:40:00 PM »
Does my situation really sound that scary?  :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 02:57:29 PM »
actually it doesn't sound scary at all. 

honestly, having been a member here for years, it sounds to me like you are a stressed young person who is allowing his anxious overthinking to take minor blips in the body and turns them into something catastrophic. 

What I think would do you a world of good is for you to start working on the anxiety disorder.  Going from one illness to the next; from one medical test to the next never helps.  It only further entrenches the disorder you have. 

What are you doing daily to work on the disorder you have?  what is working?  What isn't?  What are you willing to do to get onto your healing path.

If at this point you are only engaging in reactive behaviors (ie googling symptoms, monitoring your body--how you feel, seeking repeat reassurance), I would strongly urge you to sit down with your parents ( I assume you are a high school student being you are talking about AP classes) and tell them about your worries (unfounded worries of disease).  Have them get you set up with a therapist or aid you in getting your thinking disorder under control.  The last thing you want to do is waste your college and young adult years worrying yourself half to death.

Suffice it to say, I think you are worrying about the wrong things   :yes:
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline KirklandHarris

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 06:16:30 PM »
Hey sixpack. I've noticed that you tend to have the best responses to these types of things. Thank you so much for being such an active member on this page. I think my anxiety rose up from my initial brain tumor fears along with a combination of not being able to hang out with any friends for months on end because of all that work. I've heard depression and anxiety can sometimes go hand and hand and not being able to see any of my friends for months at a time definitely gave me time to think about the negative things. I actually graduated about a month ago as valedictorian :) so I guess all that work was worth it in a way.  I'll take your advice :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 06:56:15 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS on being valedictorian!  That is quite an accomplishment.  The first of many, I am sure.   Having anxiety or depression doesn't have to hold anyone back as long as the person understands the disorder and works steadily to change those obsessive ( for want of a better term) thinking habits.  What, honestly, helped me to REALLY get me headed into the right direction is internalizing, on the emotional level, that anxiety and depression and just plain ole stress (no matter what in life stress is part of it  :winking0008:) affects bodies physically----often in amazing and unusual ways. 

my son just finished up his first year in college.  He is a physics/math major.  His overall gpa was 3.8 something.  that darned A- and B+ in two classes  :winking0008:  .  what are you doing with yourself this fall?
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline KirklandHarris

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 07:11:10 PM »
I'll probably be a physics/math major too honestly. I've always liked that kind of stuff.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 07:16:12 PM »
I'll probably be a physics/math major too honestly. I've always liked that kind of stuff.

ahhhh very good.  You will be busy as well then!  But don't forget to have a little fun   :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: