Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How do I tell the difference between real symptoms or panic?  (Read 153 times)

Offline Feelingfragile

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi guys

Having a fairly scary moment so thought I'd try to make sense of it on here. My throat tightness is back but this time there is a numbness there that im finding really hard to cope with. Im feeling like im having to force myself to breathe. Thing is I have really strong feelings of dread before and they pass but its like the symptoms are evolving making it worse each time. Is this normal?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How do I tell the difference between real symptoms or panic?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 08:16:21 PM »
If your primary symptom is a feeling of extreme but vague dread, then its probably panic yeah. Nothing else is that terrifying.

The breathing and swallowing thing is interesting. There've been numerous studies done, and they show that people having panic attacks do not actually have any physiological change during such an attack. The symptom exists only in your mind. Which isn't to say its not distressing - clearly it is. But it means theres nothing that can actually hurt you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nelly22

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 08:28:43 PM »
I think what you are feeling is normal. My symptoms change often and so do the feelings I get when I have a panic attack. It seems like they are never the same as the one before. I struggle with a feeling of throat closing/swelling and tightness as well. I am working on getting myself to believe that it's just my mind creating it, but it is so hard. Despite how often I feel it, nothing bad has ever happened. Best of luck to you :)
Bookmark and Share

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 10:38:51 PM »
Im feeling like im having to force myself to breathe.
This really describes a lot of panic attacks I had when I was younger (they've changed over the years!)  I was SURE I would suffocate, but your breathing isn't really affected, like Lunatone said.  It's just a feeling - a scary one, but it can't actually hurt you.
Bookmark and Share

Online Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 12:37:26 AM »
I can really relate to Post by "MOLLYFIN' - Depending on the strength of past panic attacks - (before I had medication).

I would start to feel a choking sensation in my throat, especially at restaurants and public places, and sometimes when I would be working out at the gym.  I never had them before, but started to have them when I was 19 -20 years old.

The sensation would start to turn into a dread and feeling of suffocation, that would in turn spiral into hyperventilating, where I would need to breath into a paper bag to help return my breathing back to normal.  Some episodes were minor, while others actually sent me to E.R. - I thought I was dying (Sever Panic Attack).

I know there are many techniques w/o medication that help with trying to catch your breath  - (but in my case, the use of proper medication removed these frighting and terrorizing episodes).  Which makes sense - since many of the Panic Attack Disorders are Biological and not Physiological based).

Hope you feel better, :action-smiley-065: and make sure to monitor them... If they start to worsen over time, do not hesitate to see a doctor - they can really help.... If they are not that serious, I would look into some wonderful natural mental and breathing techniques to help you manage these episodes.

Keeps us informed on your progress -   :sign0111:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Tags: