Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Worried about recent beef recall  (Read 109 times)

Offline Walking Circles

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Worried about recent beef recall
« on: June 15, 2014, 07:36:13 PM »
Has this latest beef recall got anyone else frightened? All the news websites are blowing it up as if the meat came from cows that certainly had Mad Cow, but FSIS says that it was a simple failure to remove a certain part in cows that were in the age range that they start watching for Mad Cow. On their recall list I don't see any stores in my home state, and I have only ate beef once in the last couple of years but it was ground beef bought at whole foods (the Laura brand ground beef to be exact). Also they say that the cows in question were inspected prior to slaughter and showed no signs of BSE, and now Whole foods is claiming that they have proof that the cows were not actually in the age range that requires the removal of certain parts.

Should I even be worried about this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Worried about recent beef recall
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 08:10:21 PM »
No, you shouldn't be worried. the meat in question was packaged between september of last year and april of this year. Ground beef doesn't last that long. And yeah, the inspectors fond nothing to suggest the cows had Mad Cow disease, and the recall is due to "an abundance of caution". That's the way they worded it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Walking Circles

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 08:22:10 PM »
The ground beef I ate was earlier this year or late last year, I don't remember, but they aren't saying anything about ground beef so far are they? It really seems like sometimes media outlets do a disservice to those of us with anxiety issues in the way they word things.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 08:29:57 PM »
No, nothing about ground beef. And after that amount of time, you'd definitely be showing vCJD symptoms if you were infected. It has physical and behavioral symptoms that come about really quickly and are really obvious.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: