Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: doctor appointments as of late....  (Read 116 times)

Offline zav4999

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
doctor appointments as of late....
« on: June 15, 2014, 07:30:33 PM »
so i scheduled a few appointments so i can get help with my anxiety and depression issues. I had my first appointment with a mental health place last friday, it was basic questions and i don't really know what's going to happen till my next appointment in july, i guess there so many clients and so little staff so the appointment gap is soooo far from one another. So I had scheduled an regular doctor appointment to get lab work done ect. and went to that saturday an getting blood work done tomarrow. But last wednesday i had saw the social worker/therapist at the same family practice, and she was real nice. I had finally got to talk about how my issues with anxiety started, how it had led to depression. She was quite interested in my story, she kept telling me how interesting it was, she does this for a living so im not sure how my story interested her so much but it did. I had been prescribed 50 mg zoloft from a previous appointment and she said i should take that. Im scared to take them so im waiting on it but she said when i do i should break a 50 mg in half and take half for a few days then start on a whole pill. I had told her i had been on lorazepam for years and that kind of got her attention. I know it's not meant to be a long term med but i've never had help with my anxiety before and it's the only thing i was ever told to do. So she wants to try and get me off those. So now i'm pretty scared because i need to start a anti deprsnt which i've been so hesitant to take for years and I need to get off my anxiety med that i've been on for years. I just want to get some help with my anxiety. It seriously controls my life, even if i think i am able to manage it, im tired of being ok with just managing it but still having it daily and affecting me.
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: doctor appointments as of late....
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 08:18:18 PM »
Hello Zav...

I want to begin by applauding you for reaching out and seeking help for your anxiety disorder.  That is a very big first step in your favor.  And from what you have said in your post, it sounds as if you have met some caring people that really have your interest at heart.

Regarding medications, I have a number of friends who are on Zoloft for their anxiety disorders, and they are doing quite well.  Let me share a few things with you about Zoloft.

Zoloft is an anti-depressant that is classified as a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI).  Don't left the term "anti-depressant" fool you.  Yes, Zoloft can certainly be used to treat depressive disorders, but it treats anxiety too, and SSRI's are actually somewhat more effective treating anxiety than depression.

Your therapist was very wise to suggest that when starting Zoloft, you break the tablets in half and only take 25 mg to start.  This can help to keep "start-up" side effects down.  Now some people have no start-up side effects at all, others have a few, and some more severe, but start-up side effects can be very normal, and are not going to endanger you.  They are not an allergic reaction.  Some of the classic side effects include an actual increase in anxiety, insomnia, sweating, and upset stomach.  These are caused by the Zoloft causing an immediate increase in serotonin.  These side effects usually only last some 2-3 weeks, and then diminish rapidly.

And here is another suggestion for you.  Don't worry about the lorazepam (Ativan) right now.  When starting an anti-depressant like Zoloft, it is a good idea to take a benzodiazepine like lorazepam, to help manage any start-up side effects.  I would be better to deal with the lorazapam later down the road.

And Zav, anti-depressants take a long time to work, so please don't be discouraged if you don't see any improvement for many weeks.  It usually takes 3 to 12 weeks of therapy before degrees of improvement are seen, and that is once you are on a therapeutic dose of Zoloft.  The lowest therapeutic dose of Zoloft is 50 mg.  If you start on 25 mg, stay on that dose for 7-10 days, and then increase to the 50 mg.  Most people that I know that are on Zoloft for anxiety problems, are taking 100-150 mg to see really good effects.

I am hopeful that I have helped you with my response.  I am here if you need to ask me any questions.

The very best to you, Zav!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline zav4999

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: doctor appointments as of late....
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 05:12:29 PM »
hey chuck thanks for the helpful response. Yea I need to stop delaying the Zoloft and try taking it. Just been real nervous to take it and since my doc wanted me to wean off Ativan, I was worried how I was going to be able to stop one an start the other. I have another appointment went the therapist/social worker Thursday, I want to see what she says. Kind of sucks because I don't have a full time job right now so i'm on the no cost medi cal and from what ive heard none of these doctors that accept medi cal will prescribe any patient any type of benzo's. I don't need any prescriptions for it but every doctor I've told since I've been on medi cal has had a big issue with benzo. like I shouldn't be taking them, but hey it's the only thing I was ever prescribed and never felt I had to reach out for help with my anxiety until recently. But yea I know i'm going  to need to have some type of anti anxiety med while I start taking this Zoloft and im hoping I start feeling better off it and can safely get myself off the Ativan because i'd like to get off it, just worried its going to be a hard process.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: