Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: am I sick with anxiety, or is it something else?  (Read 222 times)

Offline chriscam1234

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
am I sick with anxiety, or is it something else?
« on: June 15, 2014, 06:34:40 PM »
Hi, my name is chris.  I'm a 19 year old male with crippling anxiety symptoms. I've had it everyday since my first panic attack in school, sophomore year.  I just want to discuss the way I've been feeling over the last few months. I've had to go get my heart checked, because I had so much pressure in my chest and always feeling faint, that I thought maybe I had a coronary artery disease. Of course, I may not have thought that if I didn't read about it. This was about four months ago, and after the cardiologists ran an echocardiogram, a stress test, a 24 hour holter monitor, and said my blood pressure was fine, there was no arrythmias and I have a strong heart, there was some amount of relief but only for about a day. Once I felt like the heart disease was ruled out I then thought maybe I had carotid artery disease because there's always a pressure in my neck and head, which causes me to get pale and get really dizzy and lose all my energy. The last few weeks have been by far the worst however. I got a job, thinking that I was finally ready to feel better, but one day I had a panic attack. I got those high blood pressure symptoms where you feel faint and out of the body. I also spent the last half hour of work trying to stay awake because I felt like I was about to pass out any minute. The next day at work I went back, worked for about an hour and ask the manager to drop me off because I almost fainted again. When I walked into the breakroom, they said I looked pale, then I got this pressure in my head that made me really dizzy. I've since quit my job and the last three weeks I've been stuck in bed. Everywhere I go I break into a cold sweat, and get shivery, out of energy, and sick. I've never actually fainted but I don't know how much closer you could get. It's almost impossible for me to function when I go out and about, because I get so sick and tired I can't even stand. Does anyone have similar experiences, and know for a fact that they have anxiety?does anyone know if there are other illnesses that cause these symptoms. any help or insight would be more appreciated than I could express in words. thank you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: am I sick with anxiety, or is it something else?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 05:46:41 AM »
What you are feeling is depersonalization. Very common with anxiety. That spaced out feeling. Like you are on the verge of passing out. But it never really happens. It can be frightening. But the more you understand it the more you will see it can't actually harm you. It may make you feel like crap. It does go away after a while. It can vanish for good as well. As simply as it came on. I think your worst mistake was the reading you done. You fed your mind with ideas. What you fed your mind with soon became your symptoms. That happens to a lot of people. So now you need to distract that mind of yours. Fill it with more positive thoughts. No matter how bad it may seem, there is always a road back. Bit of therapy might help. Give you a better understanding of things. Teach you ways to deal with things. Just believe in yourself and you will get there in the end.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline i960

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 06:14:11 AM »
Just how close have you gotten to fainting? Do you have that feeling of impending doom and the feeling of loss of control but no actual terminus - meaning no fainting or loss of control even though you're certain it's coming? If so, that's a classic panic attack.

However, your comments on others saying you look pale and the feeling of potentially passing out do give me some concern. I would have expected that if you had an echo you most definitely would have had an EKG as it's pretty run of the mill if going to a cardiologist. Anything abnormal? No arrhythmias?

Listen the best thing for you would be to not keep yourself bedridden. Long periods of bedridden time are not good for the body in general and the only way to confront this issue is unfortunately to confront it. Recognize it's there but accept it will not kill you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Julie A. Cook

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 08:23:43 AM »
It sounds like you have panic disorder which brings on feelings that you're going to die or go crazy in the process.

You need to see a good psychiatrist who will help you with talk therapy, an antidepressant, and a med to calm your nerves which are overly sensitized.

This takes time and atience and courage and work on yourpart, but you can come out out of this a better and stronger person.  Your nerves are overactive, and the more you ruminate, the worse they'll become.  Get help quikly so you can stem the ide and get back on your feet.

Best regards,

Juoie
Bookmark and Share

Offline chriscam1234

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 05:28:34 PM »
thank you guys for the responses. I actually do have an appointment to see a psychiatrist on the 25th, so hopefully i can get put on a better medication. I went to the urgent care recently and they gave me propranolol, which is a beta blocker. at first it cured some of the symptoms but once I started trying to go out into the world, the panic attacks were just worse. I don't have any arrythmias or plaque on my arteries according to the cardiologists, so while me looking pale and wanting to faint seems concerning, I'm sure now it's just the panic. I've also never actually fainted or had any serious stroke or heart attack symptoms. I've only had similar symptoms but they always go away so I'm trying to remind myself it couldn't have been an actual cardiac event. I also got some advice on staying in bed, which I completely agree with. however, I am trying to keep my activity limited for the next few days, only because I know I'll have a new medication to try soon, then I'll probably get back to going out into the world more.
Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 06:57:15 PM »
I'd talk to a cardiologist or other physician on if you should be using propranolol regularly. Beta blockers are in a different class of drugs than something like a benzodiazepine or SSRI and they commonly affect cardiac function. I don't know in which order the drug came into play here, but if you started taking it after going to the ER for a panic attack and then later on you're feeling entirely different symptoms like extreme tiredness, potential fainting etc. you really should ask a doctor about it.

Unless one has absolutely debilitating anxiety, most anxiety can be immediately reduced by countering the effects of the SNS fight or flight mechanism through controlled breathing.

You're 19, you do not have CAD. You may potentially have other legitimate causes of chest pain (that might not even be cardiac whatsoever) and this is unsurprisingly driving your anxiety. Echo, EKG, stress test, and a 24 hour monitor should completely convince you of zero cardiac issues. Just followup on if you should be using that beta blocker at all.
Bookmark and Share

Offline chriscam1234

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 02:38:07 AM »
thanks again for the input. I did talk to my doctor and she said it was fine that I was on the propranolol, however I did stop taking it because it didn't work. I have some rebound symptoms but they're starting to go away. I'm now on seroquel and klonopin. I think this situation is starting to get taken care of for now. I was very relieved to hear some other opinions. I think I got all the answers I would need. I wish you all the best.  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 05:11:07 AM »
Okay well talk to your doctor on how to get off Klonopin. Benzodiazepines are unhealthy long-term and can cause as much anxiety as they appear to take away.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: