Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: What Started Your HA? And What Actual Ailments Do You Have?  (Read 222 times)

Offline judi957

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I just thought it would be nice to talk about something different.  I saw a post like this before from 2011, so I thought a new topic was okay.

What actually started your HA?  What are some ailments you have and face everyday, usually without too much worry?

I was thinking about this for me, and I don't remember having health anxiety until I have gotten older, and have had both normal and rare health problems.  Like some others have said, the usual symptoms say something wont' happen until you are over 50.  But I am over 50.   :sprachlos020:  And I think it is the rarity of two of these that causes me to jump to so many conclusions of everything being terminal.

I started when I was 23 and had a perforated duodenal ulcer.  Doctor said that was an "old person's disease" and wondered why I had that.  I contribute it to stress of the first years of teaching and a rocky beginning to my marriage--which smoothed out, thank goodness.  Funny thing, I had symptoms for about 4 months and just ignored them.  I wouldn't do that now but then I seemed to have had a large pain tolerance.

My second real scare was about 4 summers ago when I had a superior mesenteric vein thrombosis.  ER doctor said in his 30 years of practice, he'd never seen this, but had read about it.  Gee, what luck I have.  Why can't I win the lottery, then?  :yes:   Once I was home from the hospital, I did look this up to find out it was very rare and sometimes fatal.  Don't ask me the symptoms, I won't tell you.

In between all of that, I have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, a blood clotting disorder, hiatal hernia, incisional hernia, neck bone spurs, costochondritis, labyrinthitis, and a blood clot in my leg.  No wonder when I say something concerns me that my husband will sometimes roll his eyes.   ::)

But even though I have all those problems and have learned what they do to me, it is still something as rare as a brain tumor that always sets me into panic.  And I think because of my propensity for rare things makes me believe, yep that could happen to me.   Right now, it's the phantom smells.  Sure, it could be my sinuses, but that's not what I think.  My doctor said that the prednisone I took for my labyrinthitis is probably the culprit and will take 7-10 days to completely bring my nose back to normal.  Even my sister who is a speech pathologist agreed.  But HA wants to scream...NO.  And now I've been breathing through my nose to check smells, I think my nose has become over sensitive to smells, which puts my on the HA merry-go-round.

Well, what is your story?  I'd love to find out.

Bookmark and Share

Offline madmexican808

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What Started Your HA? And What Actual Ailments Do You Have?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 02:45:43 PM »
as a kid I suffered from ADHD and I was on adderall and concerta. I remember getting paranoid about sicknesses and cancer as a kid. I have had food poisoning and bad ankles for a while along with shoulder injuries. 10th grade I thought I had meningitis in my neck due to pain and stiffness but forgot about it due to distraction from sports (had 5 months off due to surgery) I had ringworm when I thought it was staph infection. This year I thought I had a mini seizure due to a flashing gif making my heart rate going up and I felt weird and shaky and brain zaps but I brushed it off and it never came back. april of this year had a rabies scare and thought I had symptoms of it due to a dog in my neighborhood but doctor said I was ok and the dog was alive and had his shots. but I still freaked out and after a workout a month later from a foot injury, I noticed my neck was spasming or twitching and I didn't know what it was and dr google came up with ALS. and that has been my fear since then...
Bookmark and Share

Offline madmexican808

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 02:47:03 PM »
When i thought about it, whenever I was not playing any sports and was sidelined due to injury or moving, I would worry not just about health but also the people I love. I would wonder if my family members would come home alive or not be sick. I guess when my anxiety is not affecting me and causes me to think of other people.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Walking Circles

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 07:32:12 PM »
Always been on the anxious side and had gone through a few bouts of minor hypochondria since I was 18. When I was 21 I had a bout of Atrial Fibrillation, I spend 3 days in ICU and never really got an answer as to why it happened. I have been a nervous wreck ever since, the disease fears just started coming one after another after that and haven't really slowed down though I do handle it a bit better, some days anyway.
Bookmark and Share

Offline madmexican808

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 08:55:38 PM »
Always been on the anxious side and had gone through a few bouts of minor hypochondria since I was 18. When I was 21 I had a bout of Atrial Fibrillation, I spend 3 days in ICU and never really got an answer as to why it happened. I have been a nervous wreck ever since, the disease fears just started coming one after another after that and haven't really slowed down though I do handle it a bit better, some days anyway.

what are you stressing about currently?
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 09:48:19 PM »
Mine began when at age 25, I began having horrible fatigue and weakness...I was found to have chronic fatigue syndrome.  This later morphed into fibromyalgia.  Since FM has so many weird symptoms, I often fear neurological diseases and anything related to them. 
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 11:02:42 PM »
I don't remember not having HA.  I remember as a kid running around to make my heart beat because I was afraid it would just stop.  (And to think they thought I was a gifted child  :laugh3: )  My mom had HA (not so much now though) and hers always fed mine as a kid, so I assume I learned it from her. 

I have nothing really serious, knock wood.  That I know about, anyway!  Endometriosis, constant ovarian cysts, a whole host of mental issues, migraines, allergies.  Nothing too interesting at all!  Let's hope it stays that way!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Walking Circles

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 11:43:42 AM »
Here lately I am stressing about Mad Cow, as well as cancer. I am just afraid that I will turn out to have some sort of cancer, mostly either bladder or colon.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Felicia_Kay

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 03:37:23 PM »
I had had some amount of anxiety and the rare panic attack for years. At almost the age of 20 I think is when my HA was set off, though. I was at work one day ( I wasn't stressed, having a pretty average day) and suddenly my hands started uncontrollably shaking, I had never experienced anything like that, and within in a few minutes my whole body began to shake too. According to a co-worker I went completely pale, as well. This same co-worker suggested that maybe my blood sugar was low because I appeared similar to how she gets when her's would get low. She later explained to me that she had something called reactive hypoglycemia. That seems to be what triggered my HA. After that day I found myself constantly having weird symptoms, looking them up on google, running to the ER all the time and my one big health obsession has remained diabetes.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: