Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anyone have GERD or acid reflux???? please help!  (Read 125 times)

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anyone have GERD or acid reflux???? please help!
« on: June 15, 2014, 08:42:31 AM »
I have been having acid reflux for a while. I had endoscopy done showing mild gastritis and GERD. the doctor put me on omeprazole and it went away. That was last August... but the heartburn comes back every other month or so..... now it's really BAD..... I even have a sour taste in my mouth.....

I am back on the omeprazole. I started 3 days ago....

if you have GERD/acid reflux what works for you???? I want to get rid of it forever!!! :sprachlos020:
Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Offline Heg

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anyone have GERD or acid reflux???? please help!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 09:00:29 AM »
I've had the odd bout of acid reflux on/off all my life. Never particularly bad (though I remember one night when it kept me awake a while), but it can be quite unpleasant. I don't really know about treating it, but I know it's often meant to be caused by something you've eaten. I seem to be more likely to get it if I've just had something stereotypically unhealthy like a takeaway pizza. I don't think there's a way to get rid of it forever in a "cure" sort of way though, but maybe just look out to see if there are any food/drink triggers for it and then try and avoid them?
Bookmark and Share

Offline judi957

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 09:47:49 AM »
I don't think it ever really "goes away."  I think you always have the chance for it to flair.  I am on nexium all the time.  Been that way for about 10 years.   Sometimes I'll have breakthrough indigestion, so I use ginger chews which calms my stomach.  I also have to watch what I eat.

Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 10:03:24 AM »
I don't think it ever really "goes away."  I think you always have the chance for it to flair.  I am on nexium all the time.  Been that way for about 10 years.   Sometimes I'll have breakthrough indigestion, so I use ginger chews which calms my stomach.  I also have to watch what I eat.

Thanks... my doctor doesn't want me to be on omeprazole long term.... he says for a few weeks at the time....
what r your food triggers? i need to work on that. I already avoid coffee, alcohol, tomato products, and acid juices. I don't know what can be triggering it... maybe dairy or wheat?
Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Offline judi957

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 10:18:54 AM »
Definitely the acidic juices, especially orange juice.  Milk, at times, but not cheese.  Anything with grease.   I don't drink coffee, but colas will do it, too.  But I can drink tea.  Tomato products, especially heavily spiced.  Another thing I will do when it is acting stupid is go to a very plain diet.  I don't like boring diets, but my stomach needs a break every now and then.  I just had to experiment over the years on what causes it.  Strangely, what bothers me one month may not bother me the next.  I don't understand it, but just have to work around it.

Bookmark and Share

Offline AlyAmy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 11:36:39 AM »
I get acid reflux a lot from certain medications that I take. I take ranatide when it gets bad and it really helps. I also try to stay away from dairy, fizzy drinks and spicey foods, I also find drinking plenty of water through the day makes the symptoms a lot better :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: