Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety or reality?  (Read 449 times)

Offline amyjeannie

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety or reality?
« on: June 13, 2014, 11:05:16 PM »
Recently I've posted quite a bit about my fear of a brain tumor. The fear went away for about two weeks and now it's back but this time in full force! I'm scared these 'symptoms' might not be anxiety but actual symptoms of a brain tumor!

First off, trouble with vision. My eyes have a hard time focusing and there is a lot of pressure behind them throughout random times of the day. I went to the eye doctor last week and he told me my prescription changed (I actually made my eyes stronger by not wearing my glasses, though it seemed like it was worse). Tonight has really been bad because there are times when my vision is really cloudy, only in my RIGHT eye, in random spots. FREAKY!

Second, localized headaches. They are especially prevalent in the upper top corner above my RIGHT eye. My doctor suggested headaches but they're not that painful and they don't last long....thank goodness! However, still a headache, still a worry!

Third, creepy whispers that aren't actually there. This just started this week and it's creeping me out! I keep hearing 'Amy' and it's always right behind my left ear. Nobody is there and it's always when I'm either alone or working quietly. This one really worries me because I know that hallucinations have been known to be a symptom of brain tumors.

Fourth, feeling faint. Let it be known that I have never fainted before so I don't actually know what it feels like but I start to get really lightheaded and have the urge to either just sleep or fall on the floor. It's weird and I hate it!

Fifth, pain in right ear and right side of neck. This one really freaks me out. There is a lot of pressure in my right ear and it never gets relieved and then just the past two days I've had terrible shots of pain that goes up the right side of my neck behind my ear that last for about a minute. I know neck pain is also a symptom of a brain tumor.

Last but not least, twitching. No need to explain that one any further.

So sorry for the long post but I'm just not sure all this is just anxiety or the reality of an actual brain tumor. I am a 21 year old woman. Thank you!
Bookmark and Share
Philippians 4:4-9

Offline Lars Thorwald

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety or reality?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 12:12:47 AM »
I'm no doctor but seems like anxiety to me. Brain tumors are rare.
Bookmark and Share
"For days after death, hair and fingernails continue to grow but phone calls taper off." --Johnny Carson

Offline Kmj023

• Rec's: 1
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 05:32:52 AM »
I agree with the person above, don't think it's a brain tumor. Probably anxiety.  If you continue to feel this way, see a doctor about it and have a scan for reassurance.
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"

"Anxiety is not a doctor. Neither is the internet."

Actual diagnosis : chronic sinusitis.
Google diagnosis : brain cancer.

Symptoms : dizzy head feeling.

Offline RYN079

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 06:26:45 AM »
I have/had the exact same symptoms, but instead of hearing Amy I hear my mobile ringtone.  Pressure can be caused by blocked sinuses and/or teeth grinding and/or jaw clenching.  Localised headaches are due to muscle tension in the neck.  Even eye problems can be caused from what I justmentioned.

To me, none of your symptoms look like C.
Bookmark and Share

Offline crazymommy

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 07:55:48 AM »
I've had all these too.... The vision thing has freaked me out a few times but it has come and gone for so long that I'm starting to see that it can't be anything serious... And the thing I hear inexplicably is the noise my phone makes when I get a text.
Bookmark and Share

Offline 3r1cR0c9

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • i'm not crazy just a little unwell...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 06:30:01 AM »
i have almost the same symptoms except my tinnitus has definitely decreased a great deal. i've had an MRI last December & my symptoms were worst around that time. my brain MRI showed nothing except a little flare in my sinuses so i'm almost certain you don't have a brain tumor. i'm no doctor though.
Bookmark and Share

Online chunkymonkey

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 04:25:22 PM »
omg i am going through the same fear like you! for the past few months, ive been getting pain above my right eye that comes and goes, my right eye is much more blurrier than my left, feeling dizzy all the time, nausea, A LOT of twitching all over my body-i mean twitching every 30 seconds, ear pain, trigeminal neuralgia symptoms and buzzing in my feet. Im going to see my dr this thursday and im hoping he'll refer me to get an MRI to help ease my anxiety but at the same time, im scared to get an MRI. im 23 and i have 1 more year of college and im constantly living in fear. hope we can go through this together!
Bookmark and Share

Offline amyjeannie

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 04:40:23 PM »
Chunkymunkey please keep me up to date on what you find out! I am praying we are both okay! Keep me updated! If your MRI comes back fine then I have a feeling mine may too :) Your symptoms are literally EXACTLY like mine!!! It makes me feel not alone :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 04:57:24 PM »
Recently I've posted quite a bit about my fear of a brain tumor. The fear went away for about two weeks and now it's back but this time in full force! I'm scared these 'symptoms' might not be anxiety but actual symptoms of a brain tumor!

First off, trouble with vision. My eyes have a hard time focusing and there is a lot of pressure behind them throughout random times of the day. I went to the eye doctor last week and he told me my prescription changed (I actually made my eyes stronger by not wearing my glasses, though it seemed like it was worse). Tonight has really been bad because there are times when my vision is really cloudy, only in my RIGHT eye, in random spots. FREAKY!

Second, localized headaches. They are especially prevalent in the upper top corner above my RIGHT eye. My doctor suggested headaches but they're not that painful and they don't last long....thank goodness! However, still a headache, still a worry!

Third, creepy whispers that aren't actually there. This just started this week and it's creeping me out! I keep hearing 'Amy' and it's always right behind my left ear. Nobody is there and it's always when I'm either alone or working quietly. This one really worries me because I know that hallucinations have been known to be a symptom of brain tumors.

Fourth, feeling faint. Let it be known that I have never fainted before so I don't actually know what it feels like but I start to get really lightheaded and have the urge to either just sleep or fall on the floor. It's weird and I hate it!

Fifth, pain in right ear and right side of neck. This one really freaks me out. There is a lot of pressure in my right ear and it never gets relieved and then just the past two days I've had terrible shots of pain that goes up the right side of my neck behind my ear that last for about a minute. I know neck pain is also a symptom of a brain tumor.

Last but not least, twitching. No need to explain that one any further.

So sorry for the long post but I'm just not sure all this is just anxiety or the reality of an actual brain tumor. I am a 21 year old woman. Thank you!

I've known several people ( 7 or 8) either firsthand or secondhand, two of whom were my dad and sister, with brain tumors.    You aren't describing brain tumor.  You are describing an amped up nervous system which is reacting physically.  OR minor aches and pains being processed through anxious thinking. all brought on by stress or runaway anxiety.  In other words:  your body is reacting physically to your emotional state of mind.  Yes, hard to believe and thus often harder to get under control.

so do you have a brain tumor? I'd bet my house that you don't.  In fact I would be shocked if any person posting on here worrying about any neuro issue actually HAS what they fear.  People greatly underestimate what anxiety and stress do to a body. All of the time you see people post the word JUST ANXIETY, like it is no worse than the common cold.  Runaway anxiety and stress are SERIOUS.  It greatly affects peoples lives.  It ruins relationships. It limits job potential.  It sucks joy out of our lives.  It physically takes a toll on our bodies. Unfortunately it just doesn't get better the until the anxiety or stress is addressed and then properly managed. 

Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline amyjeannie

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 05:14:41 PM »
What do you suggest to get the anxiety under control? I am supposed to go see a counselor once I go back to college in August but that's 2 months away!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 05:21:06 PM »
What do you suggest to get the anxiety under control? I am supposed to go see a counselor once I go back to college in August but that's 2 months away!

i've been a member here for years.  I've posted thousands of posts  :winking0008:

below are the blatherings on how i think people can get better

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,60476.0.html

and

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,67619.0.html

my advice pretty much doesn't change.  and while i think it is great you are going to see a therapist, you don't have to wait 2 months to start helping yourself.    :bigsmile:  the links above have my thoughts on this disorder 

good luck
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline amyjeannie

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 05:31:20 PM »
Thank you so much! Oh and did I mention I'm tired like all the time and the only way I escape my symptoms is when I sleep? Is being tired a symptom of a brain tumor? I forgot to mention that before!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 05:47:22 PM »
yes being tired is a symptom of a brain tumor....  before your heart stops beating  :winking0008:   being tired can come from having a cold or sinus infection (or any infection) and most any disease out there  BUT   anxiety/ stress/depression also cause tired/fatigue.  In fact tiredness and fatigue are practically a given with those disorders.

amy I know you are scared and all,  but believe me, you are worrying about the wrong thing   :yes: 
Bookmark and Share

Offline amyjeannie

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 08:47:53 PM »
You just said it's a symptom of a brain tumor  :traurig001: :traurig001: :traurig001: :traurig001:
Now I'm really freaking out!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »
You just said it's a symptom of a brain tumor  :traurig001: :traurig001: :traurig001: :traurig001:
Now I'm really freaking out!

GOOD LORD did you not read my whole response?  You are only responding to what you've decided is real.  That is the definition of anxiety disorder.

Now take a few breaths and read the whole response and see how your response that being tired = brain tumor is
Ludicrous.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: