Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: morning palps  (Read 77 times)

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
morning palps
« on: June 13, 2014, 07:06:44 PM »
So on Monday when waking I felt quite dizzy and since I was half awake only I think I had some kind of fluttery palp, in any case it set me back a lot this week raised my anxiety levels, along with my pulse rate and sometimes my blood pressure (though not that bad on the latter).  I will see a cardiologist on Monday morning for reassurance, I hope.  This morning I woke up again with a fast pulse as I have every morning this week (its around the 90s range I think) and I kept getting skipped beats--with my head on the pillow I could hear my heart beat and also I felt my wrist and could notice when it would just stop and start up again.  I'm guessing those are PVCs and I know they are generally harmless but they are annoying and not conducive to a good rest.  They seem to abate sometime later on and haven't been bothersome since I got up, or at least I am not noticing many of them.  I know that my ventricles are a bit slow to relax which from what I understand is not strange for someone over 50 like myself, and I spoke to a cardiologist (not the one I am going to see, but one who was visiting the place where I work) and he said its a totally normal finding for someone in their fifties.  That was comforting, and so far as I know there aren't any other issues with my heart, and other than some mild plaque in my carotid arteries (again an aging thing, I do take Lipitor so I was kind of surprised I even had a mild version of it since my cholesterol has been well controlled on Lipitor and my anxiety/depression issue caused me to lose about 25 lbs rather quickly when it began over a year and a half ago, and I have maintained that weight more or less since, and that has improved my sugar and cholesterol numbers even more.  I sometimes wonder if the meds I am on are aggravating the palps (less than 15 mg remeron, 50 pristiq, 1 mg of klonopin or slightly more on really bad days) or it is just anxiety.  The dizzy feeling could be something ear related, it is rare and I have to pay more attention the next time it happens, only seems to happen when I lay down or am laying down.  Has anyone else had something like this where its worse in the morning or laying down and did it finally go away when you got better?  I did have a rough week but I did function well in spite of it all.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rap_Talon

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: morning palps
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 07:20:19 PM »
I can only speak of my own experiences of course, but I used to get this for a while. I'd wake up in the morning, and my heart would be going about 100bpm, which the doctor said was excessive. He got me monitoring it, and I tried upping my fluid intake the night before. Found that the more hydrated I was, the less rapid my heart became. Doc thought I might have been dehydrated, causing my heart to work harder.

You're doing the right thing in seeing a cardiologist. I'm sure they'll find that it's something completely harmless, and set your mind at ease :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 08:27:34 PM »
thanks for the reply, I don't drink a lot of water before sleep b/c being older I have that fun thing we men get (BPH) that would make me have to get up too often to go to the bathroom.  I think it might also be anxiety or one of the two ad meds, but hopefully I will get an answer.  The skips weren't so bad the mornings after but I definitely am having an off week and that can of course be a factor.  Today I was just tired, after getting some stuff done in the morning and eating a fairly large lunch with company, I just pretty much have rested, no get up and go.  Maybe tomorrow will be different.
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 08:58:43 PM »
I get PVC's.  I went to see a cardiologist who had me wear a Holter monitor for 24 hours and also a stress test.  Everything came back normal.  I did find out I have a congenital heart defect but that doesn't have anything to do with the PVC's.

I feel them when I lie down on my left side.  Or after I have eaten a big meal.  Or if I'm just sitting and relaxing.  They really come on with no explanation.  My cardiologist said they are nothing to be concerned about. 

It's a scary feeling, though, I know.  I am a very anxious person, too, so that may contribute to them.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Tags: