Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Has anyone had success with acupuncture?  (Read 188 times)

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Has anyone had success with acupuncture?
« on: June 13, 2014, 06:33:26 PM »
I have GAD and have heard that acupuncture can be good.  Has anyone had any experience?
Bookmark and Share

Offline dbirm77

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
Re: Has anyone had success with acupuncture?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 06:43:13 PM »
I tried it early on but did not find it relaxing...but to be fair, I am not the type of person who enjoys a message either so I may not be the right type of person to 'get' it. Anything that has been around as long as acupuncture must have some therapeutic benefits...
Bookmark and Share
Expect.....anxiety to come.
Accept.....anxiety and all it's sensations.
Ask.........anxiety for more!

Rinse and repeat!

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 07:03:04 PM »
Thanks for sharing, dbirm.  Maybe it would be good for me as I love massages.
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 07:29:51 PM »
Tried it once when this episode first began, its a relaxing thing at the time but it certainly is no cure for this.  Plus sometimes the needles itch a bit, especially on the feet. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 12:14:11 AM »
Thank for sharing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline poppadr3w

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 08:02:16 AM »
I tried the holistic route for awhile when it came to anxiety, but I don't think I gave it enough time. I was on St. John's Wort and such, but I hit a bump in my life that was very rough (Grandmother passing away), so I needed to get medicine that would work for sure. Xanax has been a God send, but I'm also now on Prozac and small doses of Propranolol.

My friend does acupuncture, so for awhile he'd come over and stick me with needles. He is new to it, so he's kind of rough, but he was good overall. I also saw another guy through my insurance who was very good as well, but I felt like he wasn't listening to what I wanted to do at times. For example, my chest would hurt and/or feel tight and I'd want him to stick some needles in there to help relieve the tension. He'd say, "Well, we need to work on the emotional components since that's what's really bothering you." Well, yeah, work on the anxiety and emotional issues AND the symptoms that exacerbate it. I went there many times and I did start to get annoyed, which I guess he sensed because he finally did stick some needles in my chest and it helped a bit. He was much more gentle, though. I guess it comes with practice.

I also do chiropractics once a week and get massages (I did get them weekly, but now my schedule is all messed up). They are great for tension relief, and the women that do it will hone in on the problem areas if I ask them to. It's about 30 minutes or so and they use essential oils, so you smell a bit weird afterwards, but I like the smell.

I'd say to give it a shot. I definitely felt some peace after the acupuncture sessions for a few days. One spot that I really liked was between the eyebrows. It sounds painful, but it's not, and it's very relaxing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 01:00:03 AM »
Thanks for your input.  I do have to try acupuncture some time.
Between the eyebrows, huh?
Bookmark and Share

Offline poppadr3w

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 08:30:33 AM »
Thanks for your input.  I do have to try acupuncture some time.
Between the eyebrows, huh?

No problem. I am a big supporter of a combination of "Eastern" and "Western" treatment.

It may hurt slightly, depending on who does it, but once they are in they don't. The needles are very, very thin, not like a hypodermic needle. And they're not like the large needles in the movies, either (Like that scene in one of the Final Destination movies).

Yes, it sounds weird, but between the eyebrows (Somewhere in that area) was very calming. I didn't think it would be, but once I had a needle put there it was just like... complete tranquility. It was awesome. Other spots that they generally would stick me for anxiety were in my forearms, calves, and feet (Which I hate, but it's whatever).

I definitely believe that it's worth a shot. My insurance covers it, luckily. That and seeing a massage therapist helps ease tension in your muscles as well. Especially when they use essential oils such as lavender.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: