Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: "guilt/punishment" part in depression  (Read 215 times)

Online creamcheese

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
"guilt/punishment" part in depression
« on: June 13, 2014, 07:28:12 AM »
I am wondering if somebody can explain the "guilt/punishment" part that is associated with depression.
I have anxiety/depression concurrently and low-moods, so I feel guilty for having a bad mood because I feel like I have so much in life to be thankful for that I'm not paying attention to due to my mental state of mind. Because of this, I am constantly worried and think I'm setting myself up for being punished.
Is this common with depression?
Bookmark and Share

Offline celiacruz12

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: "guilt/punishment" part in depression
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 07:54:22 AM »
you should not feel guilty, because of your depression you are unable to get the same pleasure from your every day activities as others due. I too have felt that I should be happy for what I have but sometimes its not as easy as it sounds but what you are feeling is completely normal, What I have found helpful is not analyzing my life moment by moment but just live in the present and be thankful for being able to experience life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline katiejanekaboom

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
Re: "guilt/punishment" part in depression
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 08:59:01 PM »
I've done this a lot, too. I think it is just something that depression can sometimes bring on. I feel guilty when I get depressed, too. I feel like I have a good life and should be happier, but sometimes it isn't that easy. And I tend to punish myself a lot whenever I start getting happy. I think something in my mind tells me I don't deserve to be happy, so I sabotage my happiness. Messed up, huh? The best way I get over it is to remind myself I do deserve to be happy, and it isn't always the worst thing if the depression gets the best of me. I'm constantly trying to stop being so hard on myself.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: