Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Muscle Tension and Breathing Issues  (Read 139 times)

Offline artsyJ

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Muscle Tension and Breathing Issues
« on: June 13, 2014, 02:54:58 AM »
Ok, so I have been having major issues with feeling as though I am able to breath.  At some points in my day it feels as though I am breathing through a straw. My chest is very tight and my throat feels very contracted. I am also wondering if it is possible to hyperventilate without truly having a panic attack.....just anxiety breathing symptoms 24/7. One more thing I would like to add...does anyone else have a constant tight sensation where the base of the skull meets the neck.... and shoulder tightness .......I've been afraid of a multitude of illness, and just NEED some help/ advice!
Bookmark and Share

Offline crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Muscle Tension and Breathing Issues
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 03:13:18 AM »
I know the feelings and sensations you are describing all too well.  I have spoken to my doctor about the feeling of not being able to get a good breath.  She checked me out and assured me that my lungs are clear and healthy.   It is never bad to talk to your doctor and confirm that all is good.  My doctor then explained to me about a common anxiety issue called Oxygen Hunger.  Many with anxiety get that feeling of not being able to breathe despite the fact that nothing is wrong and they can breathe just fine.  When we get anxious or uptight we tend to breathe with our chests, but unfortunately this is not the correct way to breathe.  Breathing from your diaphragm is the correct way and the best way to get a full and deep breath.  When you lay down this is how you naturally breathe so try laying down and feel it.  Do some breathing exercises to practice it so the next time the feeling hits you can be sure to breathe the correct way and it may likely resolve your issue.

Yes I get a lot of shoulder tension and the area between my skull and my neck is a huge issue for me.  I get headaches and pain in that area often.  It is just the anxiety and muscle tension causing these pains.

Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 03:18:49 AM »
Also have had this. Look up chronic hyperventilation syndrome.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 07:53:09 AM »
I have this too The breathing problem and the tightness in neck and shoulders plus tension headaches. The more I think about my breathing the more I feel I can't breath. I am going to start doing some yoga. When I used to do yoga everyday before I had my kids my anxiety was under control for the most part. Good luck I know how terrible this feeling is!!!
Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Offline artsyJ

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 04:55:12 PM »
Thank you all so much! Just got a chance to read these replies. It helps to know I am not alone. I have had more blood tests, x-rays, CT scans, and check ups than I care to count, so coming to terms with the fact that I am not dying of a serious disease is hard for me, but I am trying! I will try the breathing techniques and see if they help.
Bookmark and Share