Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Dizziness/Vertigo  (Read 492 times)

Offline Trinity

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Dizziness/Vertigo
« on: June 13, 2014, 01:38:11 AM »
I figured i would see if anyone can relate. having troubles with dizziness thats different from my normal anxiety dizziness. I will be seeing doc in a couple days to see what the deal is.

so far within a month i had a week long headache, a cold with head and ear pressure, vertigo (1 bad spell where stuff in room looked like its moving slightly up and down,  my head and eyes felt like they were spinning and almost vomited and it brought on panic) week long ear pain, daily unsteadiness feel like im gonna fall over affecting my eyes, if i turn my head a certain way i feel like i will fall over and my eye feels like it cant keep up or moved way faster then it was supposed to for the head position. its such a difficult feeling to describe but as im walking it feels like the back of my head is heavier and im leaning back as im walking forward type of feeling. legs feel unsteady like they dont know which direction to take me lol.. and i get the sinking  dropping dizzy sensations. pressure on and off in my left eye with slight aches in head and eye at times. laying down feels best. also feel feelings of lightheadedness also.

can anyone relate, and what was your cause if other then anxiety or even if you were told anxiety!
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
Re: Dizziness/Vertigo
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 02:06:36 AM »
Labryinthitis/some kind of inner-ear infection probably.
MAYBE BBPV.

Reasonable to think possibly anxiety, too. At least your sensitization to the symptoms seems to be anxiety-caused.

I can tell you what it definitely is not, before you even bother googling:

Tumor
NF2
Meinere's disease

This has happened to me. I went as far as getting an MRI. It cleared up, but it did take a while. If it is an inner-ear infection (as mine was) expect the dizziness to persist for about 6 weeks.

Again, before you bother googling, it is rare to incur hearing damage from infection. I would encourage you to see your GP to determine if there is an infection and whether or not it is bacterial. From what you've said, it sounds viral (which is good).

Don't be surprised when you do vomit (I did).
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline Trinity

Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 02:26:17 AM »
Thanks nom for your reply!  the only thing i left out was my hearing went quieter in one ear followed by a high pitch ring during one of my  worse vertigo bouts. both ears have had pain the left being the most affected, but with my cold it just so happens the left nostril was also the one that was plugged so i guess not to surprising left side was affected more.  pain in ears is gone now, just left with some pressure/fullness and popping. My doc did mention meneires to me once but never diagnosed me  i think she was  more making sure that i hadnt had the diagnoses before. and yes i have pretty big anxiety  so im highly sensitive to any symptoms especially ones involving my head! Thankyou again, and im done googling. had to much fun with that these last couple weeks = P
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 02:32:46 AM »
I also had ringing. That symptom lasted the longest.

I don't mean to frighten you at all, but I actually developed tinnitus around that time (it has very, very slowly lessened and isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be; I often forget I have it). My hearing, ultimately, was unaffected. I had audiological testing to see if I did have NF2 (I had risk factors; my <1 yo daughter had a birthmark that could've been early NF1 -- it wasn't).
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline i960

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 04:49:42 AM »
Sounds like labyrinthitis. There's unfortunately no cure but time. It's most important to get out there and retrain the vestibular system by being active and not avoiding activity due to fear. Obviously, if you're vomiting, that's understandable, but if you aren't, consistent walking and balance exercises can speed up compensation.

There's also a similar version of this general balance malaise (though without vomiting/vertigo) that a lot of anxiety sufferers tend to go through, known as psychogenic dizziness. However, once you're feeling actual vertigo it's truly a vestibular issue.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JCtitan

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 05:25:13 AM »
I to have been experiencing lightheadedness since the beginning of the month that does not go away. I also get bouts of nausea on and off. I'm beyond worried. I fear the worst and have fallen in to severe depression/sadness because of it :\. I really hope everything works out for you. Keep us updated
Bookmark and Share

Offline Trinity

Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 11:15:54 PM »
I went to doc's today, they couldnt give me a definite diagnosis, ears looked "great" they said. I asked for a diagnosis they said theres sooo many causes for vertigo but more then likely its a inner ear infection from the cold virus i have. said it could take another month to clear up and i have a follow up appointment then.  my bp was 122/60 i forgot to ask if that would be a reason to be dizzy when walking around or standing since im feeling just about every type of dizziness there is.. from lightheadedness to unsteadiness to spins to swaying. but they didnt send me for a mri or anything so must not be anything to serious. although it always feels that way when one has anxiety!
Thankyou for the responses, Jc I read some of your posts I hope you feel better soon, this is depressing but it has to get better, we cant stay dizzy forever 1-2 things will happen before that happened's... it will either go away or we will get used to the sensations enough to where it doesnt bother us anymore!
Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 12:09:15 AM »
It's not that people will get used to it it's that their vestibular system will recompensate. One key indicator that typically points towards things like labrynthitis and vestibular neuritis is if you had a recent cold or flu preceeding the dizziness.

As far as other forms of dizziness do remember though that vertigo is not a common symptom of unsteadiness as caused by anxiety. Vertigo as in room totally spinning and nausea growing vertigo is physical.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JCtitan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 12:37:45 AM »
@trinity the dizziness and the symptoms I can cope with when I know it's not serious. What scares me is what I (think) is the cause of these symptoms that puts me in extreme depression. Get well soon trin.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sleek_chic01

• Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 09:06:02 AM »
hi Trinity, did your vertigo ever get better? I'm having the same exact symptoms you describe to a T. I am too scared to go to a doctor, but this vertigo really makes me feel like im losing my mind.  Did you also have problems looking in the mirror? When I look in the mirror it's very weird and scary almost like I'm not looking at myself or that I can't focus on myself even though I know that I am. Then I looked at myself in my camera and the same thing happened. It feels more like my brain is sending me mixed signals and the right side of my head feels heavy. Has anyone else experienced this?

I notice when I take valium it helps a lot, but when it starts to wear off I feel like im going crazy again. Going anywhere or doing anything feels like a struggle. I also notice that loud noises, bright lights, and fast movements throw me off. I had a panic attack at a restaurant yesterday because I just felt strange and everything around me felt disoriented. I'm supposed to go to the beach in a week  with my family and Ifeel llike I won'tbe able to if this continues.  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Chloe1990

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 09:30:46 AM »
Does anyone ever feel like they are dizzy but the room isn't moving or anything? I'm
Not sure wether it's vertigo or not...
Bookmark and Share

Offline sleek_chic01

• Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 12:15:01 PM »
Does anyone ever feel like they are dizzy but the room isn't moving or anything? I'm
Not sure wether it's vertigo or not...

hi Chloe,

I feel that way right now, but I notice when I close my eyes I get an unsteadyness like a spinning inside my head. Anxiety can cause some weird symptoms.  However, anxiety does not cause vertigo, but it can make it worse. How long has this been going on? Try to replace your negative thoughts with positive ones. I hope u feel better soon.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 01:58:21 PM »
Mine started with a stupid sinus infection.  I was feeling the vertigo type feeling as if the floor felt like it was moving underneath my feet and in small rooms made it terribly worse cause it looked like the walls were moving up and down or jumpy. There was not a spinning motion though. And if I sat in the bathtub, it felt it, any hard surfaces, outside I felt it less. Wasn't as bad. And if I bet my over, looked down, leaned over I would feel it. And also felt like I was rocking when I would lean over to do something. And it was a huge anxiety trigger for me. When I finally got to see my main dr 4 weeks after it began, my anxiety was so bad that it made the symptom worse. I already had myself convinced at this time it was a bad ear problem that I would have to live with forever. Mdds was my main worry. If you don't know what that is, it's when people are in motion for a long period of time like on boats, airplanes, but I had not been on a cruise. I had played hours of video games prior to when the symptoms started but I didn't think at the time clearly that we had had some major weather changes and I was suffering with a very painful dry nose. But my dr put me on amoxicillin and it was only 500mg and I also had some nasal congestion. Anxiety made it all worse, my head was super heavy, I felt like my body was leaning forward, I felt dizzy headed but I believe that was coming from sinuses cause after the antibiotic that subsided. And it helped a little bit with the floor moving feeling but then I was feeling off balance when I would walk. Like I was on boat. It was a feeling on the inside, not on outside cause I was walking perfect. Just felt like I was walking marshmellows. So she referred me to ent in may. I was put on a steriod for 6 days, and another strong antibiotic for 2 weeks and the symptoms improved. I no longer felt a sense of imbalance when I walked which was a relief. And I wasn't feeling the floor moving feeling but by this time I already had myself convinced I had a brain tumor so I wanted my ent to go ahead and do a ct scan of my sinuses and brain anyway. So I had that done and there was evidence of a chronic sinus infection cause even after all those meds my maxillary sinuses still had about an inch or so of mucus and she said the infection was clearing up. This condition and having to wait so long for proof it was a sinus infection put me in the bed, every time I walked, my anxiety would strike due to being so afraid of that feeling.  And when I tried walking more to get my legs back in shape I don't know if it was still due to my sinuses not being completely healed or my anxiety but I would still feel that feeling. It wasn't so much the floor moving anymore, it was more my head felt bouncy. Like when I would lean or move my head down, look down. I did notice that when my mind was off of it, it didn't happen. So maybe my mind was causing the symptoms from thinking or just waiting for it to happen? I guess the mind can do that when it's anxious.

And yes I get that dizzy head type feeling and I believe it's anxiety cause it seems to do it more when I am tensed up and stressed, anxious. I don't see Anything spinning. Just in my head feels like it's moving a little bit. 

Anxiety can cause vertigo. It can cause the spinning room feeling. Anxiety centre website gives a long list of all the symptoms that anxiety can cause and vertigo is up there. Anxiety can really stress out the vestibular system.
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"

"Anxiety is not a doctor. Neither is the internet."

Actual diagnosis : chronic sinusitis.
Google diagnosis : brain cancer.

Symptoms : dizzy head feeling.

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 05:33:06 PM »
MANY anti anxiety meds cause vertigo, too.

I've had vertigo my whole life.  My father still has (at age 87) Meniere's Disease which is just an inner ear problem.  With me, the slightest stuffiness causes problems with my left ear.  Sudaphed or Claritin D will clear it up in a few days.  If you can open the sinuses, the ears will eventually drain and the problem clear up if it's sinus related.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Trinity

Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 03:38:45 PM »
Im still getting the weak spells/dizziness, not so much room spinning as it feels i myself am rocking/swaying/unsteady, for me i just got diagnosed with a eating disorder not otherwise specified... unintentional.. i just underate in calories for too long of a time due to suppressed appetite leading to malnutrition and a bmi of 17. So i get low/normal blood sugar which i believe strongly correlated with the unsteadiness and faint feeling, weak legs etc. I was told as i eat more the blood sugar will balance itself out and i dont have diabetes.. I also have a lower blood pressure 90/58 and when stressed it goes to 126/76 pretty good fluctuation lol. but how low im going when i feel weak i dont know as i dont check at home. so to try to fix things i added more calories in my diet, making sure i drink water and eating salty stuff in case its the bp, working with a dietitian . also doc did find in the ear i have a swollen lymph node under (about the size of an inch) that i have bubbles with fluid on the ear drum. she offered to send me to ent im gonna see if getting nutrients from a well balanced diet will help first if not i will go to ent. she said could be from allergies.  I hope you all are feeling better and find the causes of the dizzies. of course i must add that muscle tension (chronic subjective dizziness) can play a role in it too, for me it seems a few things are causing my dizziness, including stress/anxiety!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: