Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Lymphoma worry..even after biopsy..  (Read 113 times)

Offline Joey8924

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Lymphoma worry..even after biopsy..
« on: June 12, 2014, 11:24:38 PM »
Ok. I had a biopsy about 3 weeks ago on a lymph node I had a concern about. The lymph node was 1cm in size. it was very hard and non movable which are signs pointing towards lymphoma. The only good thing is that it never grew bigger than 1cm in over a year and I've heard cancer keeps growing and doesn't stop.

Now, a few days after having the biopsy, I felt the area to see if it was still sore, and to my surprise I noticed the lump had shrunk! It hadn't changed in size in over a year, never got bigger or smaller, and then after having a needle stuck into it, it shrunk. I've been told if it was cancer a needle wouldn't have made it shrink. Yesterday I was feeling it and it seems to be getting a little bigger again. It's still not the 1cm it was, but I feel it's getting there. The results of the biopsy said that it was a reactive lymph node and no cancer cells were found. I've also been told that needle biopsies aren't as accurate which had me worried as well. What kept me from worrying was that it had shrunk but now I'm getting worried because it seems like it's starting to grow. Does anyone know anything about reactive lymph nodes? Is this normal? Any help or advice would be great. Thanks!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ira

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lymphoma worry..even after biopsy..
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 11:31:17 PM »
Try to relax.  What you read online is a very bland generalized description, probably written by people outside of the medical field.  If you've had a small node for over a year and you have a clean biopsy, then you can lay your fears to rest.  Try to think that your feeling of your node is just from the obsessive worry.

I too have HA from my lymph nodes and everyday I get a bit scared but I know its just a mental obsession which I can beat.  Whenever I worry I come here :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Joey8924

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 02:06:45 PM »
Yea it's hard not to read stuff online. I keep telling myself I should be fine, but I think I'm worried again because the lump is growing again after the biopsy. I can't even find anything online that talks about lumps shrinking after biopsies. And I don't want to waste money on a doctors visit just for him to tell me it's normal and not to worry. I want a medical reason for it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 06:47:17 PM »
I wonder if it shrunk because the needle let out some fluid, almost like a cyst, and it "grew" again because it accumulated more fluid inside once the needle wound healed? If so, it certainly shouldn't be any worry, its not behaving in a suspicious way to suspect anything bad, plus the needle biopsy result should be accurate enough to be reassuring, only those of us with anxiety about health really question the results of such tests.  So remember its the anxiety talking, not an actual scary illness that is developing. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Joey8924

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 11:54:44 PM »
Is what you're suggesting possible 2sungo? If so that might explain a lot. If not, it's a good guess haha. And I think because I am so paranoid I am questioning the results. Especially since I've read that needle biopsies aren't that accurate. I keep wondering if there's a cancer laying beneath something that's undetected. It's really scary to feel a lump and not know what it is. I think actually I would feel better if I had symptoms such as the sweats or the itching without the lump. Because then I would think it was all in my mind. But to actually feel something physical is scary.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: