Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I Really Need Help.  (Read 216 times)

Offline saffron

• Dare to be different
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I Really Need Help.
« on: June 12, 2014, 10:30:01 PM »
About 2 weeks ago, I had a really terrifying experience. It was around 3 in the morning (I'm what some might call a night owl, so I tend to stay up rather late sometimes), and I was getting ready to go to sleep. I wasn't thinking about anything out of the ordinary, and then all of a sudden, my head started spinning, my heart started beating very fast, and it wouldn't slow down. I felt like I was going to pass out, or  that I was having a heart attack or something. I was terrified of passing out, because I was afraid that I wouldn't wake up. My imagination kept running wild with what could possibly be happening to my body. It seems like I had a panic attack judging by the symptoms, but it lasted for much longer than 10 minutes. I was able to calm myself down for maybe 5 or 10 minutes at a time by breathing deeply and repeating "I am fine" over and over in my head.. but as soon as I would stop, the feeling would come back. I was up all night. I couldn't fall asleep until 6 in the morning.

Ever since then, I haven't felt the same. I haven't had another panic attack, but whenever I don't have something to distract myself with, I feel...worried for no reason.

I'm planning on seeing a psychiatrist soon, maybe they can figure out what's wrong with me. But I just felt like I had to share this with someone.

(Sorry if this post is in the wrong forum)
Bookmark and Share

Offline e77

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I Really Need Help.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 11:21:18 PM »
I think your post is in the right place.  It sounds like panic/anxiety, it can often come from " out of the blue."  The fight flight response is very unpleasant so I understand not feeling the same since the episode, getting sensitized to it.  Your doc, of course, will diagnose you.  Wishing you the best, hang in there.
Bookmark and Share

Online Lunatone

• Rec's: 19
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 11:46:39 PM »
when you panic, you have a rush of adrenaline. Its what creates most of the symptoms. It takes roughly ten minutes for your body to produce enough adrenaline to cause those sensations.

Any single part of an attack lasts only a few minutes at most, but they seem to go on longer because they keep happening in 10-minute chains. So that it kept happening in 10 minute intervals is a very good sign that it is panic, and you were terrified enough to continue the chain. Fortunately this is self-limiting, and after a few hours exhaustion takes hold and you fall asleep.
Bookmark and Share

Offline saffron

• Dare to be different
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 12:44:47 AM »
Thank you both so much for your feedback. I'm so happy that I found this place. If I really do have a panic or an anxiety disorder, I look forward to helping and supporting everyone. No one should have to suffer such a terrifying process on their own.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Belmont

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 03:54:32 AM »
Hi Saffron, my name's Patrick and I'm a pretty long-time sufferer of, well, pretty much everything you described in your post up there.  I was just browsing around for somewhere to post about what I go through and found this place, and yours was the first thread I clicked on, so I registered and here I am. 

I've read many texts from people who understand and treat these problems and they say that it's just the body going through the motions of what would normally happen if you did something like high stress exercise or were running for your life.  In other words, it's scary because it happens at times when you aren't exercising, therefore you don't understand the sudden weakness and heart rate increase.  Unfortunately, because you have a panic attack, it can mean that you'll give yourself more of them if you let it control you.  Every day for me is a struggle just about, but you're right - distracting yourself is a great way to take the edge off.  What I do is find something that I can analyze like the names and back stories of favorite book or movie characters and just think about them.  I also find that sitting or laying in front of an electric fan in a cool room or spraying some cool water in my face helps.  The initial panic shouldn't last too long, and I tell myself that, and that there's nothing really wrong.  I'm not saying I handle it well sometimes, in fact I've probably made a fool of myself in the past.  I'm just trying to give you some tips on how to deal with the whole thing. 

I remember one time I was alone in my apartment in or around 2007 and I had the WORST panic attack I can remember, so bad that I had no energy and thought for sure I was about to die.  The thing is, since I was so pumped up mentally I couldn't fall asleep (and usually that helps to "reset" my mind).  I ended up going to the hospital and worrying my dad, when all they had to tell me was I have panic problems (thanks guys, but I knew that lol).  You're not alone.  Also remember, there are hotlines to call even if you're just having a panic attack and it helps to talk to someone.  Good luck with whatever you face each day.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Julie A. Cook

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 08:27:08 AM »
SAffron, talk theapy with a qualified psychiatrist and medication to calm down the fligh or fight adrenaline surges.  For me, talk therapy is very important.  I do use meds, but talking and reassurance from a good pdoc or therapist is essential.

Best of luck.  You will recover.  It takes time, patience and courage.

Best regards,

Julie
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 02:40:10 PM »

I'm planning on seeing a psychiatrist soon, maybe they can figure out what's wrong with me. But I just felt like I had to share this with someone.

Make an appointment as soon as possible with a Psychiatrist - He will diagnose your condition, and if needed will give you the helpful medications to put a HALT to your Panic attacks, this will make it easy for you to schedule visits with psychologist or other wonderful strategies you can learn to control Anxiety. :yes:

In an earlier post- I made some suggestions - that I wish I had back in 1979 when I had my first Panic Attack! - see below for previous post that I hope will prove helpful...
==============================================================================================

The Good news... - you have all the symptoms that qualify you as having had a Panic Attack Disorder (and might still have) - I too, can remember the exact day, time, and how it came out of nowhere - Running out of the store, feeling of dread, NO FEAR I HAD COULD EVEN come close to the DREAD and TERROR LEVEL of that First Panic Attacks :sick0002:.

According to the Mayo Clinic: PANIC ATTACK DISORDER: is a sudden episode of intense fear that triggers severe physical reactions when there is no real danger or apparent cause. Panic attacks can be very frightening. When panic attacks occur, you might think you're losing control, having a heart attack or even dying.

Having first hand experience of TERROR Attack - I yet to experience any fears that were as strong as my first years of Panic Attacks- I can really relate with your situation.

You have come to the right place, we have great people that gone through years of what you are experiencing - and we have a lot of empathy for your situation.

This site has many helpful resources on you can educate yourself on, and of course many people here. :action-smiley-065:

My advice, having been where you are now, and having 15 years of my life taken away from me....  I am now a grandfather in my 50's - My Advice, if you really are ready to handle this Demon, and be done with it:  :grinning-smiley-003:

1) Stay Strong, - Educate yourself as much as possible, and TAKE ACTION:  Only you have the power to change your life.

2)  Get an appointment with your Doctor to rule out any Physical Problems that can mimic Panic and Axiety Disorders - such as Angina and myocardial infarction (eg, dyspnea, chest pain, palpitations, diaphoresis) Cardiac dysrhythmias, Mitral valve prolapse, Hyperthyroidism (eg, palpitations, diaphoresis, tachycardia, heat intolerance), Hypoglycemia

3) If you are o.k. physically - get a referral to a PSYCHIATRIST - this is the doctor that can professionally diagnose your condition and prescribe any medications needed (which are very safe, when used properly), and supervise your response to medications.   

Please ask questions, we have many knowledge people here that really care! :action-smiley-065:

==============================================================================================
Keep us informed of your progress - we are all supportive of you ---  :nature-smiley-016:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline saffron

• Dare to be different
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 06:10:40 PM »
Hi Saffron, my name's Patrick and I'm a pretty long-time sufferer of, well, pretty much everything you described in your post up there.  I was just browsing around for somewhere to post about what I go through and found this place, and yours was the first thread I clicked on, so I registered and here I am. 

I've read many texts from people who understand and treat these problems and they say that it's just the body going through the motions of what would normally happen if you did something like high stress exercise or were running for your life.  In other words, it's scary because it happens at times when you aren't exercising, therefore you don't understand the sudden weakness and heart rate increase.  Unfortunately, because you have a panic attack, it can mean that you'll give yourself more of them if you let it control you.  Every day for me is a struggle just about, but you're right - distracting yourself is a great way to take the edge off.  What I do is find something that I can analyze like the names and back stories of favorite book or movie characters and just think about them.  I also find that sitting or laying in front of an electric fan in a cool room or spraying some cool water in my face helps.  The initial panic shouldn't last too long, and I tell myself that, and that there's nothing really wrong.  I'm not saying I handle it well sometimes, in fact I've probably made a fool of myself in the past.  I'm just trying to give you some tips on how to deal with the whole thing. 

I remember one time I was alone in my apartment in or around 2007 and I had the WORST panic attack I can remember, so bad that I had no energy and thought for sure I was about to die.  The thing is, since I was so pumped up mentally I couldn't fall asleep (and usually that helps to "reset" my mind).  I ended up going to the hospital and worrying my dad, when all they had to tell me was I have panic problems (thanks guys, but I knew that lol).  You're not alone.  Also remember, there are hotlines to call even if you're just having a panic attack and it helps to talk to someone.  Good luck with whatever you face each day.

Hi Patrick, thanks for the tips. I've actually been doing similar things with characters and stories. I write my own stories as well as fanfiction, so creating back stories and writing different scenes really seems to keep my mind occupied. I've also discovered that you're right about having a fan in the room as well. My ceiling fan keeps me cool, and it gives me some background noise to focus on. I can't stand being in complete silence.

I also think I know what you mean about going to the hospital. I didn't have to go to the emergency room, but there were several times during the attack where I strongly considered waking my parents up and demanding that they take me.

It's also really good to know that there are hotlines for things like this. I'll definitely keep that in mind if I have an intense one like I did during my first experience.

SAffron, talk theapy with a qualified psychiatrist and medication to calm down the fligh or fight adrenaline surges.  For me, talk therapy is very important.  I do use meds, but talking and reassurance from a good pdoc or therapist is essential.

Best of luck.  You will recover.  It takes time, patience and courage.

Best regards,

Julie

Yes, I've made contact with a therapist I've seen in the past for different reasons, and I have an appointment set for next week. Thank you for your words of reassurance; I have a feeling that talk therapy will definitely help.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: