Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of death  (Read 286 times)

Offline Blake

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fear of death
« on: June 12, 2014, 09:51:20 PM »
Anyone else fear death to the point it interrupts their life.
I don't wanna die I am scared of it. The unknown , what happens , not being able to feel talk my family kids etc
When I think our talk about death my heart races and if I don't stop I have a panic attack. Funerals are so very hard for me.
This is what causes a lot of my anxiety issues.

Honestly I don't know what I have. I have been told GAD, bipolar depression, anxiety/panic disorder, hypochondriac, tons of fears, chemical imbalance  etc.
how can I figure out what I really have. How do I get to the bottom of it. How do I control it ?

The older I get the worse it is

Awwwww I am new here and I am all over the map with trying to figure where to post my concerns and really just don't know where to begin :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of death
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 06:00:19 AM »
Death comes with life. I think we all accept that. To me it is the greatest mystery of life. We wonder what happens after death. Really there is only way we will ever find out. And none of us are in a hurry to find out.  :laugh3: But with anxiety people can fear the worst. For you the worst seems to be death. You think of what will be left behind. It is just the mind taking something bad and using it against you. I would buy a book about life. All the good things about life. I would read it over and over. The subconscious mind picks up on what we read. The idea would be to replace the death thoughts with more happier thoughts. It can be done with the right sort of reading.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 08:30:45 AM »
Death is my obsession because I'll soon have to be carted off. Too old, mind and body deteriorating. I intend to have a good time on the other side because it sure was a bumpy ride here. The huge problem is getting out. How to make it out.

Watched a DVD, Amour, a French film that won awards. For once, a realistic portrayal of what can happen. Surprisingly it was not censored. This taboo subject is coming out of the closet. That cheers me.
Bookmark and Share

Online TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 08:41:34 AM »
I am not afraid of death I am more afraid of Living! I do fear suffering before death but I don't fear what happens after we are dead because for me I believe in God and his son Jesus and knowing I have many loved ones waiting on me makes it better.

Living here on Earth we only have so many days ,years etc  but it is what we do during the time we have here like are you enjoying each day and not wasting the days well for me yes I have due to my health mental and physically wise but I don't push myself hard enough and I don't get the help I really need so it is a choice and I think we could all try harder . I do!

I like what Cuchculan said lol no hurry to find out!! I also Love what Tinam7 said having a good time on the other side lol well me too!!  I say we will have a great time on the other side and it has to be a lot easier ! 

My beliefs in Heaven get me through!
Take care and live like there is no tomorrow and think that after death there is Life !!
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

Offline Pink Cat

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 04:06:30 PM »
I'm probably not the best person to give advise on this sense I feel the exact same way, but maybe some of the things that take the edge off for me and give me some hope might do the same for you. 

I looked into near death experiences because that's probably as close as we can get to first hand accounts of what happens when we die.  I found this book interesting; though, the author seems a little coo-coo in regards to other subjects in my opinion.  I couldn't find huge flaws in his logic and other people seem to have confirmed most of the observations in this book.  I believe some of the information on the Wikipedia page is cited from Moody's book but it can't all be, so I'll link that too.  People have offered purely scientific explanations for what people see when they die, but, for me, it doesn't seem to explain everything. 

Here is the book: http://selfdefinition.org/afterlife/Raymond-Moody-Life-After-Life.pdf

And here are a couple of websites that, for the most part, observe the same things as the author of that book: http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/extrasensory-perceptions/near-death-experience.htm ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-death_experience

These things, for me, were more helpful than religions texts, but if you believe a particular religion to be the truth, that is probably a good place to take some comfort too. 

Some advise when poking around on the internet about this stuff: don't trust people.  lol  Some people, understandably I suppose, are biased, and would like very much to convince you one way or the other.  Everything with a grain of salt, you know? 

I'm still afraid of death, just like you, but things like the stories people tell about their experiences with almost dying and how it changes their lives brings me a little hope and helps take the edge off. 

I hope those things aren't too stressful to read.  It took a lot of stress and hopelessness to make me go and read them because I was so afraid they would be stupid and scare me worse.  Eventually, not looking for answers was just as bad as having bad answers so I got myself to read them.  If it wigs you out to read things like that, maybe read them with someone.  I read them with my boyfriend. 

Bookmark and Share

Offline Pink Cat

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 04:13:11 PM »
One more thing that helped me.  If I found a reason that I thought was a well grounded one for there being life after death, I'd write it down so I didn't forget it and just freak out about something that I'd already found a helpful or satisfactory answer too (Which I do a lot.  lol).  It's easier for me to keep track of things if I write them down, and that way I can read them all over again all in a convenient place. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline bodhi

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 06:01:54 PM »
I recently read a spiritual teaching that says this....

"Make a vow to yourself that you will only die once."

When you worrying about death you are reliving death in your mind every time. It is fact that you will only die once, so you are worrying you are spending your life experiencing death over and over. Why do that to yourself?

I stopped worrying about dreadful things in the future by making this oath to myself.

"Yes, that may or may not happen, but if it does, I VOW to myself I will only experience it once... then, and not now"

Could there be a war? Who knows... but I will experience it then and only once, not now, and not over and over again in my mind.
Could I get cancer? Who knows... but I will experience it then and only once, not now, and not over and over again in my mind.
Could I lose my job and house? Who knows... but I will experience it then and only once, not now, and not over and over again in my mind.

Otherwise you are torturing yourself over an over needlessly. And the facts are, due to law of averages, you are highly likely to live a long life.

Bookmark and Share
Buddhism 5 Minute Introduction: http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/5minbud.htm

Offline natp89

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 11:18:07 PM »
I can't give you any advice cause I'm on the same boat.. I'm scared i can't even hear of ppl dying I have nightmares I panic when I think of it. I'm so scared to do certain things its horrible.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LotusFish

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 11:47:45 PM »
I'm in the same boat.

I have found that talking to someone about it helps me. I can't afford a therapist (nor do I have time to visit one) but there are two people in particular that I talk to but they are people who are close to me and good listeners. One of them is my husband. I don't really need feedback but I just need him to hear what is going on in this head of mine because he can't read my thoughts. He has told me before that he's glad that I am open with him and it would worry him more if I said nothing. He doesn't always understand, but he does listen and ask questions. I like the questions because they help me work though whatever it is that I am going through. Often, those questions put things in perspective and help me realize how irrational I am being. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have him to listen.
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 08:04:42 AM »
We have two threads on Death, that's how popular it has become. It is coming out of the closet. We can talk about it as much as we wish, put it back in there, lock it up and live our life. Remember, it is the great equalizer. No-one escapes it.

There are books about it in our library. I like reading them. Also like staying as healthy as possible, physically and mentally, the best way to hang around as long as we can, find some purpose and enjoy ourself.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: