Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Hey there! Just wanted to introduce myself.  (Read 50 times)

Offline Felicia_Kay

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hey there! Just wanted to introduce myself.
« on: June 12, 2014, 07:30:37 PM »
Hola! Just registered and wanted to introduce myself. Well lets see, I'm 24 years old and have been living with mental health issues since I was about 11. I first started to become a bit depressed, I started seeing a counselor and a psychiatrist where I was misdiagnosed with bi-polar. I was put on a whole list of medicines which I had terrible reactions to and severe withdrawals from when I tried to get off them. That whole experience turned me away from medication. At about age 14 is when I started to notice my anxiety. I still remember my first anxious thought; I touched the door knob going into class, there was something wet on it, I sat in that room for the next hour panicking that I was "contaminated". As soon as class was over I rushed to wash my hands.

Though the first thought came on seemingly out of nowhere, it was a generally slow progressing issue and my fear of contamination did eventually halt. At the age of 20 I was living a pretty normal life. I had a job I loved, awesome friends, and had just gotten my own apartment. While I still suffered the occasional panic attack or slight irrational thought, it was not debilitating and not frequent.  I knew I had anxiety, but it was easy to ignore.

Then one day at work, I suddenly started shaking uncontrollably, first just my hands and within a couple short minutes my whole body. I had never experienced anything like that before and I freaked out. It has been a huge spiral down since then. I started to get these shaky spells of, I quit my job, I moved back home and I managed to get myself pregnant during that time too. Quickly I went from a "normal" life to obsessing over my health non-stop. To this day health anxiety is my number one problem. I started obsessing so much that I started having multiple panic attacks every day. Eventually I became very agoraphobic and wouldn't leave my house. And I ate. I ate all the time to try to suppress my feelings, I gained 100lbs due to that.

In January of 2013 I finally got sick of being sick and after not being in therapy since I was 16, decided to finally go back. I have overcome a lot in this last year and a half; I can leave my house again, I don't have daily panic attacks and I have lost 95lbs! I do however still get stuck on my concerns with health, but it is not near as debilitating as it once was.  I am starting school soon, though, as I feel like I need to take the next step in my recovery, but I have to admit as it gets closer to school starting my health obsessions seem to be picking up a bit more. So that is part of the reason I joined here, just looking for a friendly, supportive place to come to in hopes I don't fall too far back into that vicious cycle. 

Well I guess that is kinda my story leading up to where I am today. I hope you all have a lovely day!
Bookmark and Share

Offline crikee57

• Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hey there! Just wanted to introduce myself.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 03:19:48 AM »
Hi Felicia,

Welcome to the forum.  It is great to have you as a member.  This is a wonderful place to get advice and support from people going through similar situations.  The members here are very helpful. It is nice to know we are not alone.

Feel free to explore the forum.  There are lots of useful topics to read.  Feel free to post and ask questions.  If you have specific concerns or questions start a topic in the appropriate section to get the best feedback. There is also a chat room for members 18 years and older that you can access once you have made three meaningful posts in the forum. 

Again welcome to our community.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Tags: