Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: The Exhausting & Debilitating Journey of Health Anxiety  (Read 221 times)

Offline brittanyborg

• Rec's: 7
  • Struggling to find myself again
    • Poke This Member
The Exhausting & Debilitating Journey of Health Anxiety
« on: June 12, 2014, 03:47:40 PM »
Hey Everyone - I'm new to this forum and just actually posted an introduction but I saw this Hypochondria section afterwards and feel posting here better relates to my situation. I'm hoping someone here will be able to relate with me and have experienced some similar symptoms but mostly I'm just looking for support.

I'm 18 years old. I guess I have always been someone who worries, even as a little girl I would worry about small things that seemed completely irrational to most people - even my doctor told me at age 11 that I showed symptoms of the on-set of anxiety. But my anxiety as a kid and even throughout all of my teenage years never even close to controlling my life, it never completely shut me down like it did to me 6 months ago. I started my first semester of university and everything seemed fine at first - I had never been more excited for anything in my life. Then I started to develop ridiculously weird symptoms that were completely out of the ordinary for me. I was exhausted all the time. I would sleep for 12 hours and miss class (which is not like me at all). I had no energy and my entire body felt weak. I was dizzy, nauseous and overall I just felt extremely ill. I ignored it at first until I started developing full blown panic attacks where I would wake up my roommates at 2am to help try and calm me down because my heart would beat out of my chest, breathing would become so difficult and I would uncontrollably shake. This happened multiple times and I have made a few post-midnight trips to the ER. Every doctor who has ever seen me has told me I have anxiety, okay I get it but I feel as if they are completely ignoring my long list of symptoms. Whatever is going on with me has completely taken over my life, I feel debilitated and can no longer function - definitely not how I used to.

I've had almost every test in the book done - and the ones that I haven't had I still want it just takes some convincing on my part to get my doctors to send me for the tests. I've given more blood and urine samples then anyone should ever have to give in their life. All normal. I've had a few different ultrasounds done - focusing on my abdominal and chest area, all normal. I've had chest X-RAY's done and they were fine. I've had several EKG's done on me because of how many times I truly thought I was having a heart attack or had some sort of cardiovascular disease. They were all also normal. I had a CT scan done on my head because of how bad and frequently I get headaches. The scan was also normal. I have had a colonoscopy recently done because I used to sleep on my bathroom floor crying over how bad the nausea was. That came back also normal.

I feel as if I'm at a dead end. I have had so many tests done and every single thing comes back completely fine but yet I still feel so terribly sick. I'm scared I won't be able to return to university this coming fall and I have already lost my very good summer job (that was not easy to get at all). My biggest downfall has got to be Google. Because when I look up the symptoms I'm experiencing it sends my mind on a rampage and I begin to freak out. I can convince myself I have any disease in the book. My doctor is now telling me he knows I have anxiety and wants to treat me for it but I am so hesitant on taking prescription medications for something that I do not believe I have. I don't know what to do anymore. My list of symptom includes but is not limited to the following:

• Horrible and frequent headaches (head pressure)
  • Eye Problems (Seeing spots - can't focus)
  • Dizziness
  • Extreme Nausea
  • Constipation and Diarrhea (always alternating between the two)
  • Fatigue
  • Face & Body Numbness
  • Absolutely no energy

The list honestly goes on and on....

I know most people reading this (if you kept reading that is) will think I'm crazy - and honestly who knows? Maybe I am. All I know is that my life feels like it has been snatched from me and that I would do absolutely anything in the entire world to feel better again - to feel like I used to. I don't want to wake up every day thinking I'm going to die anymore. I want to be better I just have no idea what to do.
If anyone can relate or provide absolutely any insight or support it would be very very much appreciated.
Thank you,
Brittany
Bookmark and Share
  • I don't know a perfect person, I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
  • "Storms make trees take deeper roots"

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: The Exhausting & Debilitating Journey of Health Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 07:12:16 PM »
You could have CFS or fibromyalgia...they won't kill you, and there are treatments.  Mine started about age 24...I'm now happily married, great career and family.  Anxiety and fatigue are symptoms.  God bless you, I'm sure you'll be fine with the right meds.
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline ashmaster

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 07:19:53 PM »
How do you treat CFS or Fibromyalgia? is it still anxiety/depression meds? To the origional poster are you on any meds?
Bookmark and Share

Offline brittanyborg

• Rec's: 7
  • Struggling to find myself again
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 10:24:43 PM »
-I have just researched CFS and Fibromyalgia and you are completely right - they definitely are both things that throughly would explain my symptoms. To be honest, at this point I just want an answer. Being stuck in the land of undiagnosed is something that I can't handle because it's let my mind think crazy thoughts and consistently lead myself to believe that I am dying. Also, as someone else stated are there treatments for these two disorders?

-To ASHWATER: I am currently not on any medications. Simply taking natural supplements and pills like probiotics that have been suggested to me by my natropathic doctor. I am not a strong believer in prescription medication unless it is at the utmost necessity. I feel as if the pharamacutical companies are just greedy and doctors will write you a prescription for almost anything. I have been prescribed so many unnecessary antibiotic treatments in the past couple months that I am completely done with it. I have never been more ill then when taking antibiotics.  (Sorry for that mini rant).
Bookmark and Share
  • I don't know a perfect person, I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
  • "Storms make trees take deeper roots"

Tags: