Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Follow-up (MS fears)  (Read 163 times)

Offline LASD

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Follow-up (MS fears)
« on: June 12, 2014, 01:33:08 AM »
Hey everyone,

Not sure if anyone remembers my first post but i posted a couple months back talking about my history and my fears of MS. 
2 weeks ago I had a follow up MRI of brain and neck. Both came back normal. The MRI's were taken 8 months apart from one another. They were ordered by the 6th different neuro that I have seen (all of which have cleared me of anything sinister).

Up until the second round of MRI's I was really feeling out of it. Left side of body was tingling, and I had just a sort of malaise that I could not shake. However, after the results came clear again I felt much better, making me think it definitely has an anxiety component in it.

However, on friday, I drank a lot of alcohol. Maybe too much. I woke up on Saturday with a horrible hangover, and all my symptoms were back in a fury. My arms and hands shook like I had parkinsons, my legs felt wobbly, and the vertigo was horrible.

Fast forward to today, and most of that is gone. However, the fatigue is absolutely killing me. My right eye feels as if its numb (it feels REALLY weird) and I'm having an absolutely terrible time at concentrating studying for my final that is tomorrow (in a course called "healthy and diseased brain" nonetheless).

What are the chances that this is really something crazy like MS? Can both the MRI's and 6 different neuro's miss it? I would like to think of myself as rational, but what I'm feeling right now is not normal by any stretch of the imagination. Even my mouth is tingling, coupled with an immense head pressure thats driving me insane. I know everyone is going to read this and think nothing of it, especially since 6 neuro's have already thought that, but I just can't help but remind myself of all the MS horror stories I've seen online of people going YEARS before being diagnosed, even with clean MRI's. I feel like my story might be headed down that path, and this is something that I fear the most.

Can someone slap some sense into me? I'm tired of all the second guessing... :(

Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
Re: Follow-up (MS fears)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 02:21:00 AM »
MS is a somewhat ridiculous thing to fear. It is manageable and very rarely lethal. And, there are drugs still in development for more effectively reducing lesions in a broader range of persons.

And no. MS is not a hard diagnosis. It is strikingly apparent on MRIs (I could diagnose this as a 22 year-old laymen whose only experience is excessive googling).

They would not miss it.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline LASD

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 02:26:04 AM »
Thanks for the reply! If the lesions on the brain are what actually cause the symptoms, then how come some people         (~ 5%) have MS even with an initial clean MRI? Were the lesions there, but just too small to be noticed?
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 02:30:53 AM »
Sometimes the lesions are in parts of the brain not accessible to MRI.

However you've had two. And with your variety of symptoms multiple parts of the brain would present lesions (i.e. lesions would be enough in numeracy to detect).
Bookmark and Share

Offline LASD

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 02:32:30 AM »
Oh i see. Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated!
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 02:34:21 AM »
Additionally, assuming the very worst, say you had MS. Yours would be incredibly mild and probably not require treatment if you've had two clean MRIs 8 months apart and no REAL deficit.

This is unrealistic, though. You don't have MS.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LASD

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 02:43:55 AM »
Yes i believe my body took a hit from the alcohol consumption over this past weekend couple that with this being finals week, and i shouldn't be surprised I'm feeling this way. Thanks for helping me think
Bookmark and Share

Tags: