Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Coming off lexapro  (Read 182 times)

Offline nurseanxiety

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Coming off lexapro
« on: June 11, 2014, 09:19:56 PM »
What is the best way to taper off Lexapro?  I know I should follow what my dr tells me but I got the feeling she wasn't sure.  I am on 10 mg daily.  She said to take 10 one day,  5 the next alternating for one week. .  Then 5 mg a day for a week, then every other day for a week, then every third day , then stop.  Does that sound okay ?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 134
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Coming off lexapro
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 11:11:22 PM »
What is the best way to taper off Lexapro?  I know I should follow what my dr tells me but I got the feeling she wasn't sure.  I am on 10 mg daily.  She said to take 10 one day,  5 the next alternating for one week. .  Then 5 mg a day for a week, then every other day for a week, then every third day , then stop.  Does that sound okay ?

I think the best way of weaning off an antidepressant is to reverse how you weaned onto it.  For most taking Lexapro that was probably 5mg for a week or two and then 10mg. If that's how you started Lexapro then take 5mg for 7 days after which you can quit. If you want to be ultra cautious then take 2.5mg for another week, but given you've only been taking Lexapro for about 3 months you shouldn't need to.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all suggestions are general in nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags:

anything