Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I actually worked up the courage to go to the neurologist  (Read 416 times)

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I actually worked up the courage to go to the neurologist
« on: June 11, 2014, 03:08:12 PM »
I'm in the waiting room now and freaking out about a brain tumor. I don't even want him to order an MRI - I just want him to tell me I'm crazy and that I have anxiety!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

• Rec's: 8
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I actually worked up the courage to go to the neurologist
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 03:36:32 PM »
Two days ago I went through what you're going through right now. I had a neurologist appointment Monday afternoon and it was horrifying. But I have to tell you, it turned out alright and it probably will for you too. Let us know how it goes.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 03:54:52 PM »
I'll keep you updated. I've posted on a lot of the brain tumor posts on here.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 04:33:33 PM »
Freaking out! He ordered an MRI ASAP!!! So scared!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline LAD123456

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 05:45:16 PM »
alright, exactly what did the doctor say? Did he give you any indication why he wants a MRI?
Bookmark and Share

Offline crazymommy

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 05:47:43 PM »
If the doctor could tell how worried you are, the ASAP could have been for your benefit, as opposed to any medical necessity!
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 06:12:20 PM »
He said he wanted to look for scarring that would cause seizures. He talked to me about migraines. I told him how anxious I was about having a brain tumor and how I would dwell on this. He did an exam in the office. Reflexes, eye test where I follow his finger (I think I failed it. I felt like my eyes were shaky or bouncing when he did it). He asked me if I have a family history of epelipsy. I don't. He said he needed to do some "investigations". So scared. I'm on the verge of tears. I already miss my children and keep thinking about not being here to be with them and see them grow up. :-(
Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 06:26:09 PM »
(I think I failed it. I felt like my eyes were shaky or bouncing when he did it). He asked me if I have a family history of epelipsy. I don't. He said he needed to do some "investigations".

For what it's worth, my eyes bounce too.  Also, if a neurologist could diagnose you only off of an exam, why would they ever (ever) use an MRI or other test?  The truth is, they can't, and they have to rely on technology.  Period.  He's just performing due diligence.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 11:47:32 PM »
I wish I had never gone to the appointment today. I even walked in there feeling so confident and so sure that I would leave REASSURED - and here I am. 10pm and paralyzed by the fear if a tumor being found on tomorrow's brain MRI. Will they call me right away if they find one? I have an appointment next Friday for a follow up, but will I have to wait THAT long? Can't I have a "good feeling" if I DONT receive a call by Friday afternoon??? It's a STAT order, just looking for some help guys. Thanks for sticking it out with me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline amyjeannie

• Rec's: 0
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 11:56:11 PM »
Let us know how it goes! I currently am freaking out about a brain tumor as well! I went to my doctor and she did that eye test thing too and she told me I don't have a brain tumor but after hearing what wegngis said I am afraid she may have just been trying to calm my fears. I went to the eye doctor and he said everything looked fine as well but I just don't know if I believe them without an MRI. See, I'm having some pressure behind my eyes and even though it may be due to sinus I highly doubt it, mostly because of headaches every day.

Anyway, enough about me, I just want to make sure you are okay. Let us know how it goes! I have a feeling you are fine but the doctor knows what's best and I'm guessing they will give you the results right after the MRI but I'm not 100% sure about that but hopefully I'm right so that you'll feel okay :)
Bookmark and Share
Philippians 4:4-9

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 01:26:52 AM »
If they find a tumor, they won't let you leave.  If you're allowed to go home, no brain tumor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 7
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 02:15:05 AM »
molly is correct. They have different procedures based on initial findings.

A tumor is not a death-sentence; assuming this goes as poorly as it possibly could.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline crazymommy

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 06:42:14 AM »
I've had this happen....where I've gone to the doctor looking for reassurance and came home with even more fears!  My allergist sent me to an ENT for something he saw in my nose that was "like nothing he had ever seen before". So I get nervous enough for that, go to ENT hoping to be reassured and he orders Cat scan!  Ugh I was a mess waiting for results and someone to interpret.... It was nothing tho. And then a long while back when I was in the midst of worrying about MS I went to the eye doctor and confessed fully to HA and said I was afraid of MS and hoping for her to help me. It's the only time that I've talked about HA to a doctor and didn't downplay. Well don't you know she says "well, you have elongated something or others and we DO see that in MS patients." And she proceeds to ask me about other neurological symptoms and explains how MS is officially diagnosed. I was lucky I could drive home I was such a mess.

I am telling these stories only to show... I don't have MS. And whatever is in my nose is still there. But nothing's happened and it's been almost 3 years. The problem with HA is that it makes you interpret normal bodily functions in a terrible way. Then when you explain what's happening to a dr, they are kind of backed into a corner - they may firmly believe that there's nothing wrong. But if they don't know you, and they hear you say certain things, they are going to do some tests to follow through.  They have to!  But it doesn't mean anything is wrong....  Try to stay as busy as you can until the MRI. Accept that you won't be yourself until it's over and just pass the time. And when you get an all clear, get a plan going deal with your anxiety. But for right now now its not realistic to solve the anxiety piece of things.  When you're right in the middle of the worst part of a scare, you can't see past it. None of us can!  So just get busy for now and put one foot in front of the other for a while.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 09:42:11 AM »
Here goes. On my way to the MRI. Please pray! It's STAT but I'm praying I don't get a phone call today or tomorrow :-(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

• Rec's: 1
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 10:09:46 AM »
Praying.
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."