Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: New Dog Anxiety  (Read 122 times)

Offline Katlyn87

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New Dog Anxiety
« on: June 11, 2014, 10:29:30 AM »
I am hoping someone will be able to tell me that this will go away. I feel so silly. For months and months I have been begging my husband for us to get a dog. First we were going to get a puppy, but then we decided am adult rescue dog would be better for us. We found the perfect dog. We have had her for 3 days now and she is very calm, loves people and other dogs, and doesnt bark or chew. She is also adorable and smart. I just cant stop worrying about her. Like for example, is she going to be depressed when in her crate while I am at work? Is she going to suddenly change her personality? Am i still going to be able to have a social life? What is going to happen if I am an hour late coming home? These are the questions that constantly spin around in my mind. I have gotten so worked up about it that I am sick to my stomach and cant sleep or eat. I love the dog she is amazing and I dont know why I just cant live in the moment. Did anyone else go through this? I am hoping that with my anxiety disorder it will just take time to adjust to my new routines.
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: New Dog Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 01:22:50 PM »
Few deep breaths. Relax now. The dog seems to have settled in just fine. That is a big plus. As you will get used to having the dog about, so the dog will get used to how things around it. Try leave a TV on or a radio even when nobody is in the house. That way the dog will still hear voices and sounds. Life has to carry on for you. It will carry on for you. You have done a good thing taken this dog into your care and home. I am sure the dog is happy. Yes. Dog's miss people when people are not around. That is normal. But they are smart. They begin to know the hours. Kind of amazes me at times. Like they have a built in clock. If you know you will be late a simple radio or TV on will do the trick. Just as company for the dog.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline houndlvr1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 02:33:48 PM »
Hi! Hope I can help reassure you a bit.  I am the Director of a dog rescue and you sound like a wonderful, caring person who went into the decision of whether to bring a dog home (or not) responsibly. Good for you!!!  Adding a member to your family (whether two or four legged) is a big decision and it can be life altering in a very positive way.
Dogs are always looking to us to be their leader and they live their lives happy to serve us in the capacity of companion. You are lucky to have a dog and your dog is very lucky to have been given a second chance at life.  Thank you for that!
Now to your concerns.  Please rest assured that your new dog will acclimate to your home and his sleeping quarters just fine.  Dogs are simple in that they don't have some of the burden of human emotions that we do.  Your dog will settle in to your routine and very soon may become your shadow.  Dogs sometimes miss people when they're not at home but they don't truly have a concept of time which is why often whether you've been gone five minutes or five hours, their greeting at your door is always exuberant. 
If you are going to be very late (2-3 hours longer than normal) you can keep your dog occupied with something like a Kong toy stuffed with peanut butter to stave off boredom. You can also consider a pet walker once a week for a nominal fee or you can find some interactive toys that dispense treats if the dog can figure out the puzzle that keeps the treat "hidden".
Bond with your dog and you'll earn a lifetime friend who will literally live to make you happy - and will always return your kindness with unconditional love.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Katlyn87

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 02:42:12 PM »
Thank you very much for your kind words! I stayed home from work today and I am comforted to see that although not put in her crate, she has spent most of the day in her crate napping! I am amazed at how much she is sleeping and it makes me feel much better. I am still having some worries (to be expected with my brain) of course but I am quite reassured about at least 1 or 2 of my major concerns.
Bookmark and Share

Offline houndlvr1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 12:51:49 PM »
Dogs like their crates if they are made comfy for them.  A nice toasty blanket goes along way for me too on these rainy, damp days.
So happy you are enjoying your pup!! 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: