Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: working moms and my work is refusing to be flexible, need advice  (Read 142 times)

Online livelaughlove

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi everyone, I need some advice. So, I have been working where I work for a little over 3 years full time from 8-5, monday through friday. I have 2 children ages 15 and 9. My husband works and makes really good money but he doesn't get health insurance so we get health insurance through my work. I make barely no money, a bottom of the wrung medical assistant, so i only work for the health insurance. Well, at my job I am one of the most important employees and have done so much to improve the office. The patients love me and more importantly the doctors really love me but the office is not run by the doctors, it is run by management, so the doctors are  employees just like me. The office I work in would be screwed if i left and that is really visible. My husband makes enough  money to buy our own health insurance and to support the entire family, we just couldn't live as lavishly as we do, but that is fine with me.
So here is the problem, for the past year, i cannot get to work on time due to issues with my daughter and also more and more frequently my husband has to travel a lot for his job (so basically I am by myself with 2 kids and 2 dogs working full time). So for me to get to work by 8 I would have to leave my house by 7:25 am and I don't get home until 5:45 pm. The problem is that my daughter who is 9 has inattentive issues so getting her ready in the morning is very time consuming and it would be wrong to push her because that makes her upset and that is not fair to her, she can't help that she has issues. Now that my husband is traveling a lot, that makes me even more late because I have to take her to a neighbor that can take her to school or if i take her to school then i am 45 minutes late for work. Anyways, I am sick of it. So i tell my work I need flexibility with my hours especially with my husband having to travel so much and they said no. They say no because if they say yes to me then they have to say yes to other employees too and they don't want to do that. I understand that but considering i am one of your most important employees that both the doctors and patients enjoy being around and that is a good hard worker and i have a true problem (im not just some disgruntled employee that doesn't want to come in at 8.. i have valid reasons) then you think they could cut me a break.
Well they won't cut me a break so I want to resign. If they can't work with me after all I have done to turn that office around and run smoothly then screw them. My husband wants me to quit and go back to school but he wanted me to wait until the fall to do that so we can finish up some house projects. But now i am so mad at my work i don't even think I can go back in to work, and I am going to be late, no matter what they say, because I don't have a choice. I called out today because the kids are sick with strep.
Am i wrong too say that since they can't work with me then I should quit? The extra income and health insurance is nice though but i need flexibility is what it comes down to. I think I just answered my own question. But i would like to hear advice from others. What would you do?
Bookmark and Share

Offline bluerose

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: working moms and my work is refusing to be flexible, need advice
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 02:52:23 AM »
It sounds like you have a good grasp of your situation.  Being happy is more important than having a lavish life style in my opinion.  If you are really ready to quit your job because of the inflexibility then I would give them your notice.  There's a chance that they could come around once they realize you're serious about quitting but I wouldn't count on that.  If you do quit your job chances are you'll find a better fit somewhere where the management appreciates you.
Bookmark and Share
You wanted justice, but there was none, only love.

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
Re: working moms and my work is refusing to be flexible, need advice
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 08:11:22 AM »
The situation for women has changed vastly and generally for the better. However, the dilemma re children can persist.

In my experience life changes irrevocably if we have children. It's the big turning point in life. Suddenly we are responsible for another life, not merely our own. Whose needs come first? The child's? Our own? Can women have it all? Maybe. Once I had children I placed them first causing me to make very difficult decisions. My children turned into my first responsibility. But I pass no judgment. Life is so complicated.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: