Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Something possibly wrong with my eye, freaking out.  (Read 147 times)

Offline Cimyr

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Something possibly wrong with my eye, freaking out.
« on: June 11, 2014, 04:38:23 AM »
So awhile back I went through a lot of paranoia as a diabetic about losing my eye sight, I actually think I made a post here and thats why I ended up joining the site. Anyway I went to the eye doctor and all that blew over, no problems, just a slight (Gonna spell it wrong) Astygmatism? Er something like that, anyway, today was pretty normal, nothing wrong with my vision. Then I went and took a nap a few hours ago and when I woke up I noticed I saw a small spot in my vision, not a dark splotch or anything very obvious. It's more like when you look at a light for a moment and you get that thing in your vision for awhile.

Anyway I thought thats what it was and didnt think much of it. This was a few hours ago, now I can still notice it. It's not blocking vision completely or anything like that but Im starting to freak out, I can only see it consistently when I close my right eye, and when using my left eye it's more of a greyish spec. As I said, it's like what you get when you stare at a light. Which all Ive done is look at my computer screen for awhile tonight, though it happened when I woke up, not after staring at it for abit.

I had my mom look at my eye when it first happened, I was curious if she could see any blood but according to her the only thing she saw was that my eyes were blood shot and stuff. I even looked in the mirror myself and didnt see anything like that. I dont know if Im wrong or not but I was under the impression that if blood was blocking my eye sight Id be able to see it on my eyelid, but I dont know if thats true or not.

Also I recall hearing that if I didnt get it taken care of IMMEDIATELY I would go blind, which Im scared about because it's 4am and I dont know of any eye doctors open at 4am. Im not sure if a hospital deals with that sorta thing.

Sorry for that lengthy post, Im just freaking out a bit here. I really dont want to go blind.

EDIT- Sorry, let me clarify. I said "speck" it's bigger than a speck, but it's not covering my entire eye or anything, it's just a small spot in my vision. Sorry.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 37
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Something possibly wrong with my eye, freaking out.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 08:31:39 AM »
It could be the start of a visual migraine; that's how mine begin.  However, I usually only have the spots for a few minutes, 10 or 15 at most, before it starts to progress. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cimyr

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 09:21:20 PM »
I did some looking into what a Visual Migraine entails and as far as I can tell nothing has happened to my eyes aside from this "Floater like spot". Im giving it a day or two and then if it seems like a problem Im going to go to the eye doctor. Ive heard that sometimes "Floaters" can just sort of do this, and since my vision doesnt seem worse off because of it Im hoping sitting and observing it for a day or so wont put me at risk of anything.
Bookmark and Share

Offline southflguy

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 09:36:59 PM »
Sometimes people with diabetes can get these things called cotton wool spots (I currently have one but I'm not diabetic).  I'm currently freaking out because I don't know what the cause is and my ophthalmologist just said to see him in a month (plus I have many other symptoms).  With diabetics it is a symptom that can come and go even as your glucose is improving and stabilizing.  They supposedly fade after several weeks.  It can also happen to anyone for no apparent reason.  I'd describe mine exactly as yours.  If I close the opposite eye and blink I can see the afterimage of what looks like a crescent or a half moon that is gray.  I know exactly what you're going through.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cimyr

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 01:38:11 AM »
Sometimes people with diabetes can get these things called cotton wool spots (I currently have one but I'm not diabetic).  I'm currently freaking out because I don't know what the cause is and my ophthalmologist just said to see him in a month (plus I have many other symptoms).  With diabetics it is a symptom that can come and go even as your glucose is improving and stabilizing.  They supposedly fade after several weeks.  It can also happen to anyone for no apparent reason.  I'd describe mine exactly as yours.  If I close the opposite eye and blink I can see the afterimage of what looks like a crescent or a half moon that is gray.  I know exactly what you're going through.

Thanks a lot for that, it makes me feel a bit better. Mine is just an image of a small oval, barely big enough to cover one letter in my post right now(Whatever the average font size is here). Hopefully it just decides to leave me be after a few weeks, but Im definetly going to keep an eye on it(Like I have a choice) in case something goes wrong. Last I want is to lost sight in my left eye because I didnt worry enough for once.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: