Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: When to see the doctor?  (Read 156 times)

Offline Caroline1902

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
When to see the doctor?
« on: June 10, 2014, 09:25:21 PM »
Hi everyone,

I know many of you can relate but I think I've had ALS, skin cancer, ovarian cancer and a brain tumor - all within the last few months. 

I now have a mole or more likely an age spot on my face which has flaky dry skin on it.  Of course, I've been playing with it so it looks worse.  I had a similar "mole" or "age spot" on my leg with flaky skin or something crusty on it which I had the doctor check out about 6 weeks ago.  It was nothing.  I really do not want to see the doctor about this newest mole or age spot scare but hopefully I am not being irresponsible.

My question to you is when do you go to the doctor?  I'm driving myself crazy charging off to the doctor every two seconds and I'm also embarrassed.  Is a good rule of thumb to wait two weeks before booking an appointment?  Obviously every situation is different and may warrant a visit ASAP.

I have to get a grip though!  Going to the doctor takes a lot out of me but of course the reassurance is always so lovely. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: When to see the doctor?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 09:34:53 PM »
Going to the doctor is great reassurance and many with HA go often.  However long term, reassurance does not help you with your anxiety.  Reassurance will calm you short term, but I am sure you know that you soon turn to something else to fear.  It is a vicious cycle.  I do go with a wait and see policy myself.  If it is something more urgent like a bad cough or something I might go quicker, but things with the skin I would wait for a week or two to see if it improved.  Ultimately it is a case by case thing, but running to the doctor constantly gets costly both financially and emotionally.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Offline Caroline1902

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 09:40:41 PM »
Thank you, Crikey!  This is the approach I would like to take as I have mentioned, it takes a lot out of me going to the doctor.  And I truly do not want to live like this anymore.  I never used to be like this!  I went for my physical and that was that.

Bookmark and Share

Offline crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 01:31:55 PM »
I used to run to the doctor for everything, but I can proudly say that it has been 10 months since I went to the doctor.  I am learning to accept that the body is a quirky thing. It will have the odd thing here and there, but rarely are they a true cause for concern.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Offline Seeker

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 02:56:57 PM »
If there is a single concern going to doctor is a good idea. But when there are more than one issue than sometimes even doctoring sating everything is ok doesn't help much. You can always think how doctor missed something etc... it's everything in our heads (and I don't think physically :)). Our bodies are fine :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: