Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Buspar anyone?  (Read 243 times)

Offline shardeni

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Buspar anyone?
« on: June 10, 2014, 09:16:49 PM »
Does anyone here take Buspar only ?  For anxiety?  Does it work for you?  I need to come off Lexapro because it is causing hair loss and my doc suggested Buspar.  I know it's a multi daily dose which I don't mind.  But what else might be the down side to it?  Are side effects intolerable? 

Thanks for any input.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Buspar anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 09:37:39 PM »
Does anyone here take Buspar only ?  For anxiety?

Buspar is one of a number of meds that work well for a few and not at all for most. It seems to be only effective for the generalized anxiety and social anxiety disorders.

Are side effects intolerable?

Most don't have any.

If Buspar doesn't work then maybe consider one of the antidepressants biased toward norepinephrine (aka noradrenaline) instead of serotonin reuptake inhibition such as desipramine (Norpramin) and nortriptyline (Pamelor, Aventyl).

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 10:48:52 PM »
Does anyone here take Buspar only ?  For anxiety?  Does it work for you?  I need to come off Lexapro because it is causing hair loss and my doc suggested Buspar.  I know it's a multi daily dose which I don't mind.  But what else might be the down side to it?  Are side effects intolerable? 

Thanks for any input.

I personally took Buspar for about month (when it first came out), it made me dizzy and did nothing for my anxiety :angel-smiley-006:

I personally know over dozen family/friends who have taken it and I think only one (female - early 40's) had a positive results.

I know medication may or may not work as advertized, it depends on your body's chemistry.

My only concern, is that Lexapro in my experience has been a very effective medication, and they are switching you to Buspar (Buspirone) which is IMHO not even close to the effectiveness of Benzodiazepines for anxiety, and totally worthless for panic attacks.

Another concern with Buspar is the overall studies are not very good compared to traditional Benzodiazepines.  They not regulated as a "controlled medication" like benzodiazepines (which would raise some red flags :fragend005:)

The beauty of Buspar is that it does not carry the risk of withdrawal as benzodiazepines.

I know that Drs. love prescribing Buspar whenever possible, it carries very little legal liabilities for them, but I don't know if this is the best interest of the patient.  (When I took my elderly mother in - they couldn't throw enough Buspar at her - as the answer to all her anxiety attacks - but none of the side effects of withdrawal or dependence   Humm  ::)

A month later, they finally gave in, and put on Lorazapam - that worked wonderfully - she is actually getting out of the house and taking 2 miles walks with her dog!

But, I would definitely ask more questions and do some research, especially during your transition period between AD/SSRI.  To keep your anxiety in check...

Please keep us informed...   :sign0111:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline shardeni

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 11:30:09 PM »
Thanks for your replies.  I have an RX for Xanax but I rarely take it.  Only if my anxiety is at an extreme level.  I am afraid of dependence.  Lexapro works well for me except now I am anxious about the hair loss it is causing.  It's very disturbing.  Going to dr on Wednesday .  Will keep you posted.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AmandaNanda

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Angry
    Angry
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 06:22:25 PM »
Buspar is the first and only medication I have taken thus far. When I initially started it I was taking it along with a birth control medicine and during this time I had a lot of pressure on my shoulders, and all of that combined somehow made my anxiety actually increase?? I had more frequent panic attacks and generally felt more out of control.

I have since changed my birth control medication and started the Buspar again, but so far it has had little to no effect on me. I will probably switch to a different one soon, hope it works better for you!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: