Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Rough patch right now, still on pristiq and a bit more  (Read 331 times)

Offline insights

• Rec's: 90
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Rough patch right now, still on pristiq and a bit more
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2014, 07:03:22 PM »
no ectopic beats even though I swore I felt three pauses that morning in bed

I thought this might be the case. Good news!  :happy0151:

we could switch, this time she mentioned brintillex, a new SSRI she described as Lexapro plus, or, after I mentioned previous success on it, Zoloft.

Brintellix (vortioxetine) isn't that special. It is basically another SSRI which also has Buspar like effects on the serotonin 5-HT1A receptor. It is the same idea as Viibryd (vilazodone). I think a regular SSRI supplemented with Buspar is a better option as the two can be fine tuned to individual needs.

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 06:25:20 PM »
Well I texted with the pdoc today, I had left her a message that I couldn't make up my mind what to do.  She said a conservative approach for now would be to add back 5 mg of Lexapro, and when I asked if there would be a problem with the half a 15 mg remeron pill that I take in addition to the 50 mg of Pristiq, she said not likely.  So I will give it a go, the transition from Lexapro to pristiq wasn't that bad (minus a few night sweats) and maybe the low dose of Lexapro will up the serotonin effects enough to get a consistent positive result--I do remember feeling mostly good during the transition until a week after I dropped the Lexapro.  What I should do later I am not sure, maybe the combo will work well, or maybe I will use Lexapro to get off pristiq and either try it again (this time with the small dose of remeron perhaps) or transition to another ssri from Lexapro.  Ian I do feel leary about any new antidepressant that hits so many receptors like Brintillex, like you say maybe it isn't that much different than an ssri and buspar, plus I think more time is needed to see how good it really is and how long it works without pooping out for many. 
The remeron does seem to let me sleep and it does counteract the sexual side effects of pristiq.  So its good for something.  Today I did feel a bit miserable from stomach issues, a bit of dry mouth, a fast (for me) pulse in the low 90s and an aching back the latter of which has nothing to do with anxiety/depression or medicines, just too much hard work outside that I need to refrain from for a bit. Sometimes my eyes feel weird too, I think that must be a pristiq thing, but I see just fine.  On the other hand I had good news, my students did really well on their finals so that helped cheer me up.
I also wonder if there is  a time factor to this illness, when it first appeared some 25 years ago it took a good couple of years to fully recover, and during much of that time I was still productive even though I felt sick every day.  It kind of faded away after some time on effective medication, at that time Klonopin and Pamelor, but I didn't like the orthostatic hypotension and fast pulse with the latter or glassy eyes with the former. Eventually I transitioned to Zoloft, then serzone, both of which worked fine and were easy transitions, and dropped klonopin along the way at some point (though I always carried it "just in case").  Round 2 happened about 12 years ago, also starting off with a panic attack like the first one (though subtle symptoms of stress/depression may have proceeded both) and the move off serzone to Zoloft  was not fun.  However I was mostly better within 3 months and considerably better in a year or so.  At some point I got onto Lexapro and that was excellent until this current round, which did not start with panic, but rather sustained anxiety for 3 days and has proven more difficult to get under reliable control.  I also experienced much tragic loss during this time which certainly didn't help. Looking back I can say at least that I was productive this year, and there have been frequent good days/periods punctuated by bad days.  A really bad day means I get very anxious and then tearful, extra klonopin helps that a bit, but I often don't take extra or enough extra beyond my 1 mg daily total fast enough to stop the "meltdowns".  At least they have been few and far between of late. I hope that no matter what I do, at some point the illness just runs out of time and I will get better like before, of course I dread it happening again, I can see myself getting better only to start watching for its return around the 10 year mark.  But by then there will be a few more options, and maybe if I pay attention to early warning signs (I know I was stressed out for months before it happened this time over a move and some other stuff--but never did I think I would get sick again and I thought just raising the Lexapro would take care of it within a couple of weeks at most, boy was I wrong) earlier treatment can nip it in the bud before it goes ballistic again. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 05:25:43 PM »
Just another update, I have been better since I added on the 5 mg of Lexapro to the 50 pristiq and 7.5 remeron.  Still taking 1 mg klonopin in divided doses as before.  Today I did feel a bit downish, but not enough to stop me from doing some work until it got too hot and I came inside.  Last week I remember a day where I felt so "normal" it was almost scary.  I really savored that day.  The other days weren't as stellar but not bad at all, well within "normal" actually.  I think what got me today was the fact that I had a palp or something while out with some friends yesterday, it was hot, and while standing outside I felt not the typical flipped PVC feeling but just a moment where I felt like I was sinking or something and couldn't move/breathe whatever, it passed quickly.  I really couldn't say if I felt anything in my chest, it was more of a head feeling, but I didn't black out or anything.  Maybe it was some other weird body thing, but it upset me a bit  because throughout this long illness (year and a half so far this time) I have been spared palps or similar stuff for the most part till recently.  However I did a treadmill test last week and it was fine, the cardiologist said no problems I can exercise.  I am trying to rationalize my fears away, mainly with the idea that whatever it was, it didn't harm me and really no matter what I cannot control everything about my body or my life, as my therapist has pointed out we have less control over our lives than we like to think that we do.   Worrying does not help a situation like this, I got checked out, even if they missed something (oh how we anxiety sufferers tend to go there) worrying will not fix it, and only takes away from the possible pleasure one can have in that moment instead.  Also my back pain has improved since I last wrote, while I did have some joint/back pain today from some hard digging in the garden, it was not nearly as bad as a few weeks ago.  I will see the pdoc next week, I am a bit concerned that she will be away for 3 weeks without a pdoc backup (there is a PA who can write prescriptions I think) but even that worry is illogical because why should anything happen then that hasn't already happened, and I can always go to a regular doc or  emergency room (not that the latter is particularly useful in my experience anyway) if I have a problem.  I guess we anxious folks like to know our security blanket is always there, but docs and therapists have lives too.  I can always call my therapist as well if I have a bad experience or day.  Overall I am trending better, the bad days are not as bad and farther and fewer than before, and the good days can be really good.  I am less afraid of being by myself (and I have to be alone a lot during the summer months), and the agoraphobia is so much better than a year ago, if I feel any its small and I can fight it.   I am checking my bp/pulse less often, going days without doing either, but today I did check and even not feeling stellar at the moment the bp was low and pulse in the mid 80s, nothing to worry about.  I did get the weird top of the arm burning feeling today, thought maybe I had sunburn but it has calmed down by now so I think it was just some residual anxiety.  At some point in the future I will want to get off Pristiq since it has no official way of going down or up in increments (Ian I did read the fruit juice idea, it could work I guess but the time release factor would probably be compromised), if I am truly lucky Lexapro might work again (there seems to be no studies on whether a med can work a second time if it worked fully for years, then didn't work fully, and is tried again) though I have heard of a case through someone I know of paxil pooping out and then working again after a few months on another AD that didn't work so well. It would be good if the drug companies would do this kind of research (it wouldn't be hard, all you would need is a questionnaire, access to a large body of patients/former patients, and access to a computer for statistical analysis) but they have no incentive to do so, long term studies that might involve other meds they don't sell don't seem to matter to them.  But it sure would be useful for patients. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: