Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Rough patch right now, still on pristiq and a bit more  (Read 268 times)

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Rough patch right now, still on pristiq and a bit more
« on: June 10, 2014, 07:31:10 PM »
Rather than add to the long pristiq thread I started earlier, I wanted to say that I have been doing much better in general since I last wrote, but the last couple of days have unnerved me.  Started when I was in bed, waking up and had a dizzy spell lying down, possibly a flutter in my chest, and felt like I couldn't move till it was over.  Tapped my wife and told her what happened, she checked my pulse, it was fine.  Nonetheless that started the wheels going, I had a couple of similar experiences in the past few months where I lay down and got a dizzy feeling, flutter, whatever.  Once when my eyes were open I thought it looked like the ceiling was moving so I reasoned that must be an ear thing, not heart.  This time I didn't open my eyes, but it felt unpleasant, that's for sure and its not something I have a lot of experience with.  Now I have not had many of the usual palps that come with anxiety this time around and even without it, the kind that you feel after the fact when you get an extra bit of blood in the next "normal" pump, the one where it feels sort of like something flipped once in your chest.  These ones worry me more b/c they seem longer, and only seem to happen if I am laying down or maybe once sitting.  So my anxiety ratcheted up yesterday and today, today it was sufficiently bad that I went to the nurse at where I work, she called a bunch of my docs and the urgent care centers for the medical group in the area, naturally no one can see me right away.  She did get me an appt with the cardiologist next week so I will hopefully get an answer that puts my mind at ease.  I am still taking 50 mg of pristiq, a bit more than half a 15 mg remeron pill, and 1 mg of klonopin in three doses, half at night with the remeron and .25 each on waking and around 4.  Also take some fish oil and vit d, for whatever that might be worth.  I did take a quarter or a bit less extra klonopin in the morning today and a bit of a 10 mg beta blocker that my pdoc prescribed for when my heart rate is up in the afternoon shortly before seeing the nurse, but when I saw her my pulse was 100 and bp was 150/84.    Not horrible, but more than I am used to and I definitely felt uncomfortable.  Luckily this time I did not get teary over the anxiety, I slowly calmed down and went home and kind of curled up on the couch letting my thoughts just flow by.  Its such a contrast to weeks of low anxiety to the point that I was drinking green tea in the morning just to wake up b/c I was so tired without becoming anxious, and doing a fair amount of stuff on the weekends with my family.  I will see my pdoc also on Monday, her last suggestion was to up the remeron slowly and then go off pristiq but I didn't do that b/c I was doing okay and I don't think a high dose of remeron will be any better for my health than the pristiq, and after hearing on this forum so often about the remeron tending to poop out easily I need something that will give me long lasting relief like what I had in years past.  Of course there are extenuating circumstances that only add to the stresses, the summer vacation is coming up and I'd rather be working with people around, and a colleague just lost her sister so that brings back bad memories of the losses I have dealt with in the past year and a half.  But I know that when I am truly well I have a resilience that gets me thru such things, its seems I've lost that, though if I am honest with myself I have still managed to do a lot on my good days and sometimes on my not so good days.  I just wish there was something that would make the anxiety just go away quickly when it does act up, I can't will it away and the medicines, unlike before, only seem to go so far this time around.  Maybe its a matter of more medicine or time, who knows.  But I guess I can take some solace in that there are so many of us going thru this mess, and I just have to focus on the good as best I can. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 86
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Rough patch right now, still on pristiq and a bit more
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 09:24:32 PM »
Maybe its a matter of more medicine or time, who knows.

Given you're at the low end of the 50-400mg therapeutic range, I think upping the Pristiq dose should be the first option. IMHO, there is not much point in taking a med at doses that aren't fully effective. A higher dose may also allow you to discontinue the Klonopin and maybe even the Remeron.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline 2sungo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 09:47:17 PM »
Ian, I did try to up Pristiq to 100 once but it made me more anxious and my pulse and bp went up (how much was med and how much was anxiety I don't know) so I don't want to go that route again.  If Pristiq was available in smaller doses than 50 mg, it would be a lot easier to increase the dose but the nit wits who made it didn't make it in small doses, and there is no reliable information as to whether the pills can be divided into smaller doses since it is time release and a solid with a coating on it.  Also what is weird is while my pdoc does say some folks do better on more than 50 mg of pristiq (I think she has one patient on 200 mg) the actual studies by the company that made it found no real difference in response to it at higher does, but did find more side effects.  The good news is that today was better than yesterday, the remeron does let me sleep well, but when I got up the pulse was already up in the high 90s which for me means the anxiety is likely to be significant.  I got thru the early morning classes okay, but got very tense during my break, I couldn't even focus on what I was doing at the time, so I broke down and took a quarter of a .5 klonopin.  That did help my anxiety/mood, even though my pulse remained high for a while.  Later at home I worked outside till dark, the anxiety was less than yesterday.  At least I feel like sometimes that extra medicine may work when I am in that state, I usually try to ride it out but there comes a point where its ridiculous to suffer if I can avoid it, so I took the extra klonopin.  At this point I don't know if I will ever get off klonopin, but who knows what the future may bring, just maybe these setbacks will continue to get less frequent as time goes on.  One day at a time. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 04:31:28 PM »
Well its still been pretty rough, a day after I last wrote not only did I have fast pulse waking but also numerous pvcs.  That part lessened in subsequent mornings, but I've been pretty depressed and anxious this weekend, I got so tense this morning I just kept shaking my right hand/arm and finally took an extra quarter of a .5 klonopin just to get it to stop.  And I did get teary for a short bit as well, not had that happen in many weeks, I just feel so tired of it all.  I know I am stressed over going to the cardiologist tomorrow and later on to the pdoc, although the remeron does help me fall asleep and stay asleep pretty much till its light outside, I found myself not wanting to get up this weekend except to make sure I take the pristiq on time, then back to bed.  My energy levels are as low as my mood, and I feel like nothing works for long this time around, and its very frustrating. Just a week ago I was able to drink some tea and get things done, now I wouldn't dare touch anything with caffeine for fear of provoking more anxiety and feelings of unwellness.   Maybe I need more of both an ad and klonopin, I just don't know this time.  Maybe the norepinephrine part of pristiq and remeron is bothering me, but then again Lexapro didn't do everything I had hoped for either this time around.  In the past couple of episodes an ssri plus klonopin would take care of this, and then I could go off the klonopin.  Not so this time around, and its been a year and a half.  There have been times I feel I am doing well and getting better, and then these relapses come along and they are difficult to accept, not that I have a choice of course.  And the one thing that hasn't been so bad this time around, palpitations, seem to be coming back and anything heart related really gets my HA going.  The short dizzy spells which I think are palps really bother me because they are "new", even though they are rare. And I don't recall them before remeron and pristiq, even though my doses of both are not exactly high. I guess I should think CBT style in that my evenings are still better than mornings, even on a bad day, so that is evidence its just depression and anxiety, not something worse. Plus no palp has killed me yet, and I've had plenty of scary ones in past episodes and occasionally even between episodes when I was otherwise fine.  Sometimes I wish my whole block was full of people like me (who knows, maybe there are a few) and we could just keep each other company when we are freaking out, but the world is not like that.  At least my wife is supportive, but I hate stressing her out too. I just hope and pray this gets better soon.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 09:08:48 PM »
Maybe the norepinephrine part of pristiq and remeron is bothering me, but then again Lexapro didn't do everything I had hoped for either this time around.

While Pristiq is a slightly stronger norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor than its parent Effexor (venlafaxine), this is saying much. At your current dose I suspect Pristiq is only acting as a SSRI. Remeron is such a weak serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor that you wouldn't be able to physically swallow enough to have any effect.

The problem really is that you're not on a high enough dose. If you can't handle more than 50mg then maybe you should consider another antidepressant.

Plus no palp has killed me yet,

They don't kill. Just about everyone has palpitations from time to time, but most don't notice, or care much if they do. It is those of us with anxiety disorders that get fixated on them.

Sometimes I wish my whole block was full of people like me (who knows, maybe there are a few) and we could just keep each other company when we are freaking out, but the world is not like that.

It is a lot more like that than you may realise. About 25% of the population has, or will develop an anxiety disorder or depression at some point in their lives. So quite a few of your neighbours will have either personally battled these disorders, or be related to someone who is/has.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline 2sungo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 10:12:50 PM »
Thanks Ian for your always helpful replies.  I meet with the pdoc tomorrow as well as the cardiologist, she last suggested upping the remeron to replace the pristiq but I don't think that is going to happen.  Remeron lets me sleep well, along with .5 klonopin, but that's about all I think it does at the dose I take.  If I were to switch I could always try Lexapro again, hoping that my time off it might have allowed my body to become sensitive to it again in a good way, or Zoloft, which I haven't taken in years but which worked twice, though it was rougher the second time around (then again I was cross tapering with serzone which failed after several nice years).  Maybe Lexapro and a small amount of remeron might work, who knows?  Its all so complicated anymore, not simple (note I did not say easy, it never is) compared to before.  BTW I read your reply to the 16 yr old smoker, besides hitting the nail on the head as we say here, when you described what you went thru with the lung thing, I had to say to myself, damn, you're brave, makes my HA look so silly, but then again I guess HA is really silly, except for those of us who feel the pain of it.  It will subside if I can only get this depression/anxiety under control for good.  I have had good weeks, one barometer is that I tend to eat a bit more and don't feel any agoraphobic feelings, but they don't seem to last.  I think I might need more of something, just need to find the something that works with SE that I can tolerate. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 12:41:12 AM »
If I were to switch I could always try Lexapro again, hoping that my time off it might have allowed my body to become sensitive to it again in a good way, or Zoloft, which I haven't taken in years but which worked twice, though it was rougher the second time around (then again I was cross tapering with serzone which failed after several nice years)

Unfortunately, it is possible both will deliver more severe initial side-effects than before so I suggest you start on extra low doses, 2.5mg for Lexapro and 12.5mg for Zoloft should you decide to switch. Substituting Celexa for Lexapro might be worth trying too, the differences between them are subtle, but Celexa just might be a smoother ride.

when you described what you went thru with the lung thing, I had to say to myself, damn, you're brave, makes my HA look so silly, but then again I guess HA is really silly, except for those of us who feel the pain of it

The mind is a very strange beast. Surgery doesn't particularly bother me, apart from the two lobectomies, I've had 4 other, more minor procedures, but I find starting a new antidepressant terrifying. I'm okay with other meds, but for some reason ADs are hard. All part of the rich tapestry of life when you're nutz, I guess!  :(

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline forever young

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 08:24:07 AM »
So when you switch meds you are like starting over? I thought if you were already on an anti depressant you may not be like starting from scratch. I switched from celexa to Zoloft and took it while home alone and I am afraid to take the klonopin by myself go figure. I have taken zanax but I don't know why I am afraid to take the klonopin. I was hoping I could take it and use it as a tool to face my going out of town fears. I am always home alone I thought it would be nice if I could take it at my therapist office but then I would have to drive home and if it made me sleepy would not be good. I have had it for 3 wks never taken yet.

Ina have you taken any benzos ?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 05:35:25 PM »
I would have to drive home and if it made me sleepy would not be good. I have had it for 3 wks never taken yet.

Does Xanax make you sleepy? If not then there is a good chance that Klonopin won't either. But the only way to know is to try it. It does exactly the same thing in the brain as Xanax, it just does it for longer.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 10:08:12 PM »
Today was a better day, got an echo done by the cardiologist, nothing wrong except for some impaired ventricle relaxation, which I have known about for a few years, and that is not unusual for someone older than 50.  He says to do more cardio, which is the last thing I feel like doing in this state, but when I get better I always do go back to exercising, usually weights but at this point I think light cardio would be better when I am ready. he also thinks my fast pulse is due to either anxiety or the meds, even in his office lying down the bp was low but pulse high, I didn't get numbers but my own check after waking revealed a pulse around 98-100.  I wake up to it doing that, and it wasn't doing that before.  Pdoc wants me to get to 15 mg on the remeron once summer vacation begins and stick to the pristiq to see how that works out, if it doesn't than a new plan is needed, could be to add back a small amount of Lexapro to the pristiq as I did feel pretty decent during the cross taper, or maybe consider vibryd.  I told her I haven't heard stellar things about vybryd, I'd rather try Lexapro again or consider Zoloft.  But that's not something I have to deal with yet.  She also was going to speak to the reps for Pristiq about the cutting pill issue, she seemed surprised when I told her that no actual live people are available at the number Pristiq gives in their info for folks to call for further information about it. She mentioned some pharmacies do compounding of medications but that can be pretty expensive from what I have heard, if you can find someone who does it. 
Ian you are spot on about the medication stuff, I also freak out over new antidepressants, a bit less so over benzos.  Surgery (gall bladder in my case) and invasive medical exams worry me a bit, but not as much as going on a new antidepressant or going off one. Been thru too much pain with the med changes, surgery and exams are easier, I knew what to expect and the pain or any other issues resolve quickly.  I am not as afraid of brain zaps as some, I find them more annoying than scary, but I don't like weird heart stuff or especially increased anxiety or depression which can happen with starting or ramping up some meds.  I also worry about certain ones increasing chances of diabetes or aggravating blood pressure or triglycerides and cholesterol, all of these I have in the family tree so I want to continue to keep them in check, in fact I am the only one of the four of us siblings that does not have high blood pressure--except sometimes when I am anxious. I'd probably be the healthiest person in the world if I had never had a panic attack (first one was in a gym) and the anxiety and depression that followed 25 years ago, as I was into running, swimming, and weights.  Each time this evil thing has hit, the exercise goes out the window until well after I am better, it does not make me feel better when my sympathetic nerves are overstimulated. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 02:24:07 AM »
I told her I haven't heard stellar things about vybryd,

It appears to be an okay med, however, I think a SSRI and Buspar as separate meds is a better option as it allows the ratio to be fine tuned, rather than being stuck with the fixed doses of similar compounds in Viibryd.

I am not as afraid of brain zaps as some, I find them more annoying than scary

I can understand why people get spooked by them. AFAIK, there is no studies showing what causes them. My hypothesis is that they are due by the breaking down of interconnections recently forged by the antidepressant which can't be sustained as the dose drops. I've seen folk experience zaps soon after they've had a stroke. But I could be way off beam on this.

Ian

Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 09:49:48 PM »
Today I was tired for much of the day and a bit down/anxious later, but after visiting the therapist I felt better.  Maybe the 4 oclock .25 klonopin helped too.  I turned in the holter monitor they gave me to wear yesterday, and they said the doc would call today, but of course my cell phone has poor reception at work, so I called them, and the nurse or whomever couldn't find it and the doc was gone for the day.  So I'll try again tomorrow.  I did have a few distinct "pauses" that I think were pvcs when the morning I woke up with the monitor, not so much in terms of dizzy/fluttery ones which are far rarer and not something I usually experience.  Of course my anxiety rises until I get the report, and with my luck they always seem to find something that they are not overly concerned about but its never an all clear kind of thing for me, at least not since I've gotten older.  Still have to do a stress test on July 1.  Today not so much in the way of obvious palps, but I am trying to creep up on the remeron, got to half a pill plus half the remainder, so I guess that's about 11 mg or so out of the 15 mg pill.  Felt a little spacy today too and had some light zap feelings, especially when turning my head or stepping when I walk.  I would not expect those going up slightly on an AD, but anything is possible I suppose.  I haven't taken extra klonopin in several days besides my usual daily total of 1mg so maybe it has something to do with that, time will tell.  BP is fine or even low when I check, pulse tends to be around 90 in the morning when I get up, sometimes lower during the day, 80s usually, 70s if I am lucky.  I think the noradrogenic properties of Pristiq tends to raise my pulse, not sure how the remeron affects it though I suspect one or both of having something to do with the palps and higher pulse rate when waking.  I was a bit more hungry today, but not by much and I have lost weight in the last few weeks again.  At least I am not turning into a famished beast like so many folks on remeron seem to describe, but I guess its all individual and dose related, plus the pristiq doesn't seem to encourage appetite. The one thing that is good is that I sleep well, its the getting up part that sucks.  I also made myself a bit nuts reading all the stuff I could find on how to wean off pristiq if needed and that seems to be a hot mess of a situation, some break the pills but one is not supposed to do that, some go on Effexor and wean down on that (which doesn't sound like a lot of fun at all), some use Prozac as a bridge off of it--yet the one time I tried Prozac when I first got sick 25 years ago it had me climbing the walls, I was so friggin anxious I couldn't hardly sit down, never again, and some have used Lexapro.  I think if I were to go off of it, it would be a transition back to Lexapro or something similar, I try to calm myself down saying there probably is a not too painful way and going onto an ssri might be the trick if I find it doesn't suit me well in the future.  I am also freaked out by the fact that my pdoc will be away for a month during the summer with no covering doc, so I may try to find a fill in pdoc on my insurance plan for that time, its important to me to feel like I have support if I need it, and a nurse practioner aint gonna be enough for me to feel comfortable, at least not until I am feeling normal for a long time on a set medicine regimen I can feel confident in.  And in keeping with the theme that when it rains it pours my lower back has some kind of sharp pain that radiates to my right hip, it must come from doing too much bending and digging outside in the garden, it acts up at times and doesn't at others.  Normally I don't have back problems, and I just got over ramming my ribs into a table, that took 3 weeks to go away, mostly.  It helps for me to be active outside, I'd rather not sit inside and be idle, that is not usually a good thing unless I am in a good mood or my family is home too.  I guess I have to wait some more, maybe some of this is initial effects of increasing remeron, even if it a slow increase.  I also asked the pdoc about why not Lexapro plus a bit of remeron, she thinks that because remeron and pristiq affect both serotonin and norepinephrine from different angles that the combo of an snri and remeron was likely to be better than ssri and remeron.  Not sure if enough norepinephrine is hit by the doses I take, and I am not sure if norepinephrine stimulation is the best thing for my anxiety or heart, but I'm not the expert so its wait and see.  Hope tomorrow goes well, one day at a time as always.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 12:05:43 AM »
I did have a few distinct "pauses" that I think were pvcs when the morning I woke up with the monitor, not so much in terms of dizzy/fluttery ones which are far rarer and not something I usually experience.

IME, these are often more apparent to the patient than the monitor.

Not sure if enough norepinephrine is hit by the doses I take

Remeron is doing effectively nothing, you couldn't physically swallow enough of it to have an impact, and while Pristiq does inhibit norepinephrine reuptake more than Effexor, it is still fairly weak, especially compared to some of the tricyclics.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 09:05:05 AM »
I also made myself a bit nuts reading all the stuff I could find on how to wean off pristiq if needed and that seems to be a hot mess of a situation,

While the makers warn against cutting or crushing the tablets, many psychiatrists ignore this advise and have their patients crush and dissolve the tablets in fruit juice (not grapefruit). For example Dr Steven M. Stahl in his Essential Psychopharmacology: The Prescriber's Guide (4th ed.) which many consider to be the psych drug bible recommends doing this (see p 61), though I think most would do okay with a faster taper than the suggested 1% dose reduction every 3-7 days. I'd try a 10% reduction every week until the dose got down to about 25% and then maybe reduce by 5%.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2014, 01:39:40 PM »
Thanks Ian for the info, my pdoc coudnt get a straight answer about discontinuing pristiq from the company reps.  In any case, I got the holter monitor results back, and though I have not read nor requested the report, it is normal, no ectopic beats even though I swore I felt three pauses that morning in bed.  So maybe our minds can make us feel things that are not what we think.  I must admit I was a nervous wreck while waiting for the results, so I had a bad day at the end of the week, but the good news cheered me a bit.  I also spoke with my pdoc, she said to decrease the remeron, which I have done, back to half a pill and that there are a couple of ways to go. We could try to increase the pristiq again now that my body is used to it, but that didn't go so great before, we could switch, this time she mentioned brintillex, a new SSRI she described as Lexapro plus, or, after I mentioned previous success on it, Zoloft.  I mentioned Zoloft because it worked twice for me, and I haven't had it in over 12 years or so therefore I imagine my body may be sensitive to it still. Not my favorite medicine but it did work well to get me out of anxiety and depression last time. I later switched to Lexapro b/c it had less side effects, but it seemed not to be as effective this time around.  I don't know if its the medicine, my condition being worse or that I am older, or external stuff that made recovery harder.  I cant say it didn't do anything, otherwise I would have never been able to return to work, but still it wasn't the cure like before. This weekend I notice mornings are a bit rough but I am okay later on, and I have been working hard gardening despite a bad lower back/hip pain problem.  Went to the regular doc on that one, was told to take ibuprofen, it helps, I should rest more but I do need to get a lot of stuff done. I don't know what I want to do come Monday when I speak or text my pdoc, maybe remain where I am or consider a switch.  The thing that concerns me about brintillex is that it is really new, so who knows what they will find out down the road, and also it seems to make a lot of folks throw up.  I don't throw up easily, but pretty much all of the ssris aren't for stomach comfort anyway, but IIRC with Zoloft it was bearable and I certainly didn't feel like throwing up.  At least I am happy to have had two decent days of late.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: