Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Exercise and diet  (Read 553 times)

Offline Fuzyyy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Exercise and diet
« on: June 10, 2014, 06:53:42 PM »
I haven't posted on her for ages but I need some advice and tips really. Recently I've put on some weight, Ive never really weighed myself but I've noticed it mostly around my waist and legs. Admittedly I don't eat well. There's a burger van at my work that I've been too a few times and I eat mostly more junk good at home then anything. I do have salad and pasta a lot but not as often as I have more unhealthy foods.
So I ask what foods should I focus on eating more of? I hope I'm right in saying that foods with protein and fibre are the best for weight.
Also there's  exercise, I've been thinking about jogging for a long time but I've been so hesitant because I tried last year and it just sent my anxiety AWOL! But I went for a jog 2 days ago and it felt really good, I didn't today but I did bike to work and back. Once again I ask, what would be the best amount of time to go for a jog, 2 days ago I jogged for ten minutes around where I live really. I also play football fairly regularly (once or twice a week)
Finally there's a gym down the road from me, a few of my friends go and have been encouraging me to go. I'm just afraid of what others will think of me there because I'm not the most spectacular specimen physically, and u don't want to spend so much money a month and then not go.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Exercise and diet
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 08:28:46 PM »
I've been trying to lose weight, and I came to the conclusion that I could not eliminate burgers and pizza, so I eat them in moderation, but I never eat fries or have sugary drinks with them and I only eat delite thin crust pizza. I've lost over 50 pounds and I eat burgers and pizza, but I have not had ice cream in over 8 months and I've only had cake once in 8 months.

When I buy a burger I try to buy double cheeseburgers instead of two cheeseburgers bcs a double cheeseburger has about twice as much protein and half the carbs as two cheeseburgers.

In general I try to eat protein fruits and vegatables, and I try to volumize with vegetables. I'll steam spinach and chard, and I'll put as much spinach and chard as I can fit in the pan.

When it comes to going to the gym, I'd do it. The people who should get the most respect at the gym are the people who have to work the hardest to get in shape.

I've found that working out and taking a sauna afterwards is great for anxiety. After I workout and take a sauna I've found it gives me a couple hours free of anxiety, and I try to do things that usually provoke anxiety during this time.

I just heard on TV that one of the things highly successful people do before 8am is workout.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Fuzyyy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 06:09:13 AM »
It's also the amount I've been eating which is worrying me, I used to have quite a few snacks inbetween meals but thankfully I haven't had the time to do this recently haha, hopefully I can continue this.
But I'll definitely give the gym a thought! It's a fairly quiet one where I live, it's also the money side of things. But thanks for the reply!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jane Sander

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 11:50:48 AM »
Exercising is just great for anything anxiety related anyway, but regarding food - you shouldn't be calorie counting (it's soul destroying) but you should also be aware of carbs.

Carbs (and NOT fat) are the reason so many people are obese. Pasta, fries, potatoes, bread etc are loaded with carbs and will make you eat more. Try to limit the amount of carbs you have (you will need some carbs if you are exercising) but if you limit the carbs, then you should lose weight.
Bookmark and Share
I sometimes write for www.calmandserenity.com which is a resource site by a few members of Health Anxiety Forum to help sufferers of panic and anxiety.

http://www.calmandserenity.com

Proud Headspacer :P

Offline MicTyson

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 01:55:44 AM »
The only way you will lose weight id by burning more calories than you take in. Go for a walk everyday after or before work. Start with something that won't kill you and up that when you aren't feeling the burn anymore. Start with distance first then move to pace. If you're looking to life weights in any capacity start by eating carbs before for energy and proteins after to repair your muscles. You can PM me if you would like to learn some good workouts. Hope it works out for you
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 08:36:39 AM »
Exercise is great, but key in getting weight off is the activity, preferably diminished activity, in the kitchen. Eat less of just about everything, be aware of calories, make friends with your scale, and you can eat most anything in moderation. Stay hydrated at all times.

Try to eat as little as possible in the evening.
Bookmark and Share

Offline poppadr3w

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 12:25:56 PM »
I'm a Certified Fitness Trainer through the International Sports Science Association (ISSA), and am currently working on their Sports Fitness Nutrition course (I've been slacking a bit lately, though).

Diet is key. People can lose weight with just a diet, but if you exercise and splurge on calories you won't lose body weight. Also, try not to think of it as "losing weight," rather, think of it as "losing fat" since you can always gain muscle mass.

While jogging is better than no exercise, I highly suggest getting into anaerobic activities such as weight-lifting or even sprints. With weight-lifting, for example, you'll increase your metabolism when you have more muscle, as well as your strength as your body adapts. Does this mean you have to go out today and buy a bench press and a ton of weights? No! You can start with calisthenics, or using your own body as a weight. For example, push-ups and pull-ups. Isometric exercises such as Planks and Bird-Dogs are great for your core. Ensure to take in an adequate amount of protein (Many state that it's about 1g per lb. of body Lean Body Mass), but it could vary depending on your goals. If you go to a gym, work on compound lifts (Exercises that use more than one muscle group) such as Pull-Ups, Bench Press, Deadlifts, Squats, and so on.

For losing body fat, you need a caloric deficit. Cut around 3,500 calories per *WEEK* from your caloric intake and exercise and you can drop 1-2 lbs. per week. Cut out the candy, burgers and other junk food. Spit out the soda! Ditch the simple carbohydrates such as white bread, white rice and generic pasta! BAD! It not only will convert to fat if unused and stored for future use if you don't exercise, it takes a toll on your blood sugar levels. You need complex carbohydrates (Google it for a list!) for more sustainable energy. Vegetables will be your best friend for losing body fat since they are low in calories, yet high in micronutrients (Vitamins, Minerals). Drink water and tea.

Another facet is supplementation, which you can purchase. I take Fish Oil every day (They're Omega-3 fats) and such. I also have a protein powder to help ensure I meet my daily requirement for protein (I mix it in Almond Milk).

You can PM me with any questions!
Bookmark and Share

Offline kcg13

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • My mind ... both a blessing AND a curse ...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 11:18:41 PM »
A jogging friend of mine encouraged me to start jogging by telling me to try to do it for a half hour at a time - clearly as a starter, you won't be running for that half hour.  But you plan to try to do it for the half hour, but you keep moving (so I say I jog/walk for a half hour) and the more you do it, the more your endurance increases and the longer you jog for.  I don't keep track of how many miles I go - I am just trying to jog a steady pace for a half hour straight.  When I can do that, then I will start tracking distance.

As far as how much to eat, I use myfitnesspal app.  It is awesome.  The part that's a pain is initially logging everything in.  But you can put your meals in.  Many foods are already in the app, you just search for it and click on it and it will log the calories.  You also log in your exercising as well.  I find it very motivating to help me eat better and exercise.  The days I use the app, I tend to exercise and eat well - the days I don't, though, are not always so good - I feel like the app keeps me accountable. 

Exercising and eating right does really help with anxiety (I know that firsthand).  I hope you keep it up - keep going, even if it gets tough.
Bookmark and Share
Our thoughts dictate our emotions .... in other words, how you think is what you will feel.

Offline Cilantro

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 06:51:01 PM »
I could never eat salad. I didn't even eat it when I tried a vegetarian diet for a year. I've changed my diet to include things like:
  • Baked chicken and fish with vegetables
  • Variety in pasta with spinach, chickpeas, and more
  • Quiches
  • Stuffed peppers
  • Light quesadillas with things like peppers, cilantro, and tomato instead of tons of sour cream, maybe minus the cheese
  • Mango, peaches, bananas, honeydew
  • Scrambled eggs, poached egg on toast, baked eggs in bread bowls
  • Stir-fries
  • Alternative ways to enjoy vegetables, like herb-roasted tomatoes or stuffed mushrooms

Just getting used to cooking and eating different foods can do wonders. There's plenty of simple dishes if you dig around online, too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jessica92

• Jessica
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 07:19:32 PM »
I've been dieting and exercising because I want to lose weight, and I advise you to do what I'm doing: start slowly! :)
I've been slowly cutting out foods with tons of carbs, like pastas and bread. I've also slowly been cutting out sugar (I'm only allowing myself about 25 grams of sugar a day but sometimes I do a little more than that). I would start with walking. My doctor suggested 30 minutes a day. I've been trying to walk at least a little every day, even if it's not 30 minutes. The important part is to not beat yourself up so you can keep at it! I also recommend the app My Fitness Pal, which helps you track your calories, exercise, and water intake. Additional advice: drinking water or coffee in between meals helps curb hunger! I've been doing all of this for about 2 weeks and have lost about 4 pounds. Good luck, my friend! :)
Bookmark and Share
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
- Albus Dumbledore

Tags: