Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Suffer from anxiety, but worried that I have MS or ALS. HELP!!!  (Read 435 times)

Offline Worriedsick2291

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I've suffered from anxiety since I was a child, but the last year and a half has been the worst. I just started worrying about MS & ALS about a month and a half ago when a spot on my lower back swole up. It went down the very next day so I didn't see a dr about it. About 3 wks ago I had tingling in both legs and a weak feeling in both sides of the face. I started googling the symptoms and MS came up. Then I started havin a lot more symptoms such as random twitching, leg cramps/pain, pain in butt, tingly/prickly feeling in legs arm feet hands and face. Burning sensations throughout body and cold sensations. Also have weak feeling in Palm of left hand and fingers feel weird. Shakiness, & tremors in face. Vibrating feeling in leg muscles when I straighten them. Joint pain and popping. Numbness in spots that comes and goes also. But the scariest symptoms is feeling like I can't breathe when I lay down at night. I feel like there is a wall at the back of my throat that I can't clear, and breathing through my nose is hard. I've been to 5 diff drs they all believe it's anxiety. They did blood test and came back normal even thyroid and diabetes blood work came back fine. I also failed to mention that I get extremely dizzy to the point that it's hard to stand up. They checked my reflexes and coordination and it seemed good to them, but I'm extremely worried and feel that I need an MRI. I'm so scare that I have Ms or worse ALS.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Suffer from anxiety, but worried that I have MS or ALS. HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 02:36:27 PM »
You've been checked out by several different doctors....its anxiety.  I've had tons of the same symptoms (dizziness, tingling in the extremities, chills/hot flashes, breathless feeling, etc).  Dr. Google really shouldn't be used since common things can also be MS/Cancer/other dangerous illnesses. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline rap_Talon

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 02:39:40 PM »
Don't you think it's very strange how you didn't start noticing a lot of the symptoms until -after- you googled and found out about MS? That's exactly what anxiety does to us. It takes our health fears and mimics the symptoms of them, convincing us that we have these horrible problems. By googling you gave yourself a lot more symptoms that the anxiety can then use against you. Everything you've listed can be caused by anxiety, and, judging by the tests and Doctors opinions you've had, this is almost certainly the case for you. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 27
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 03:51:07 PM »
5 guys who have gone through med school all say the same thing.  That should tell you something.  Second, nothing in your history sounds remotely like A**...so just get that out of your head.  Because of the presentation, the diversity of symptoms, and history of anxiety I don't believe it to be MS.  It sounds like 100% anxiety.  With that said, an MRI is warranted to put MS to rest.  If you are having that many symptoms caused by MS (very unlikely) your MRI will light up like a Christmas tree.  You need it to be thorough and to put the MS thing to rest.

What have you done  to work on your anxiety?
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 05:20:51 PM »
It's important to mention that (God forbid) you did actually have MS (which I'll bet you do not), it is a VERY manageable disease.  I was telling another member the other day that I know two people who have it, and you would never know it to look at them.  One of them is a full-time mother of two, and the other works at my company full time. Just look at Montel Williams -- he's had it for about 15-20 years now!  Modern medicine has turned this into a chronic illness that people LIVE WITH.  ShawnW is right -- an MRI will rule this out quickly and then you can relax.  Wishing you peace and blessings!   ;D
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline Descent

• Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 07:53:24 PM »
When you use words like 'random' and 'comes and goes', that makes it very likely that it's your anxiety.

Both diseases are pretty rare, especially ALS. And I agree with NytViolet, I don't think there should be so much fear when it comes to MS...

That said, this all sounds like your anxiety. And if you've been to five doctors now that have all said that, you need to respect their knowledge and accept their diagnosis.
Bookmark and Share
Generally afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 12:15:03 AM »
I have an exercise for you.

Go to the very first entry on the HA forums.

Begin to work your way slowly to the front.

Count the number of times you see the words ALS and MS.

Edit: I can't even understand the fear of MS. Most people with MS function fine. I know of a particularly bad case, it was thought the person might die. He enrolled in a, luckily, very effective new drug trial. Regained partial limb-function/will probably make a full recovery. ALS is scary as sh*t. I'll give you that one.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline NytViolet

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 12:51:36 PM »
And its worth mentioning that there are some extremely promising stage 2 clinical trials for als as well, but from your symptoms you certainly don't sound like you are anything like an als case.  The numbness and tingling and twitching are all STRONGLY associated with severe anxiety.  Go to the HA home page and read the "symptoms poll"... You sound like 90% of the folks on this board.  Also, make sure your head it propped up when you get into bed...lying too flat does cause neck and even breathing issues.  Be Blessed :)
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 02:56:31 PM »
Where did you see that information on ALS, Nyt?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 04:02:26 PM »
Logan, why no text back?!? :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 04:12:26 PM »
Dam*it, Nolan. I'm busy being a ball of anxious tension. And my phone is across the house.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 05:11:01 PM »
I need help too, man!
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 10:59:46 PM »

I sent you a pm, but extremely promising clinical trials at Emory and elsewhere. Have identified 25 gene parkers rresponsible for our favorite disease.  People are regaining movement and speech with stem cell injections made from their own skin.  See Neuralcell and Deanna Protocol.  I believe we're on the brink pal. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 27
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 10:02:44 AM »

I sent you a pm, but extremely promising clinical trials at Emory and elsewhere. Have identified 25 gene parkers rresponsible for our favorite disease.  People are regaining movement and speech with stem cell injections made from their own skin.  See Neuralcell and Deanna Protocol.  I believe we're on the brink pal.

Oh from your fingers to God's ears.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline NytViolet

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 04:19:07 PM »
We are WAY ahead of where we were when I first began my foray into this illness 17 years ago.  Perhaps "foray" is the wrong word... "when I first began investigating this illness 17 years ago".  There, that's better.  Back then, it was than Ritulek that extended life span by 3-4 months (as if).  Now, we are seeing REAL reversal of symptoms.  Also in the 90's, when Jenifer Estess was diagnosed (DO NOT LOOK HER UP IF YOU FEAR **S), she and her sisters when to Washington DC and bullied for donations and grants for further research.  It is because of Jenifer Estess and the determined patients and researchers out there that we have now identified 25 markers for the disease (not just the one familial gene, as we mistakenly thought). This is leading to new and exciting treatments that are showing REAL results.  Are previously paralyzed people suddenly entering 10K marathons and teaching Zumba?  No!  But they ARE regaining use of an arm, gaining enough strength to transfer from their wheelchair to their bed/sofa. Some are starting to eat/chew again, many are speaking coherently again.  THIS IS HUGE. In case you are wondering, I had started noticing "perceived weakness and aching in my left bicep" and came to the HA site looking for answers, and foolishly found myself falling down the same rabbit hole that I promised myself I'd never peer into again.  But in a weird way, I'm glad to keep up with the newest breakthroughs in this field.  I do believe we will turn this into a CHRONIC illness in the next few years (just like MS, diabetes, RA, or other similar problems).  Finally, there is a REAL percentage of cases that stop progressing entirely for no apparent reason, and a few that actually reverse. In such cases, the doctors always back-pedal and mumble gibberish about "misdiagnoses", but I don't believe that's true.  I strongly feel that (just like MS) there are some cases that just resolve spontaneously!  It's too early to tell, so GOD BLESS the researchers in the labs world-wide who are struggling to unravel the ultimate Rubik's cube, and people (like those trying the Deanna Protocol) who continue to doggedly look for solutions :)   ***Perhaps we should start a thread for nothing but GOOD NEWS about this disease?****  What do ya think??  HUGS TO YOU GUYS
Bookmark and Share

Tags: