Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Diagnosed with OCD today  (Read 175 times)

Offline Brittney.kerby0510

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Diagnosed with OCD today
« on: June 10, 2014, 01:31:31 PM »
I saw a new psychiatrist today (haven't seen one in over 2 years) and he told me I suffer OCD.... That's weird.... I know I suffer severe anxiety, panic attacks and am depressed but have never been told I have OCD. I am constantly on edge. Very forgetful. Angry all of the time. Always fearing and thinking I am going to die. Any pain or weird feeling I get, I suddenly think it's something horrible that I will die from. I don't do the things I used to enjoy such as riding roller coasters or taking long drives by myself because I think something will happen to me. I notice a few of my "OCD" tendencies such as making sure the hangers hang in the same direction, clothes that need to go in certain drawers, toys in specific places, the dishwasher is filled a certain way, etc BUT shouldn't we be focusing on my anxiety?! It seems my anxiety and fear/worry is more problematic than OCD right?! I am terrified of taking any kind of medicine.... I won't take a Tylenol unless I'm having a migraine that's lasted 3 days or so.... So my psychiatrist today prescribed my .25 xanax and would like me to eventually have the courage to take an antidepressant.... I've just recently started having these thoughts where I would close my eyes and see something bad happen and cry my eyes out. I've also just recently started feeling spacey, like I'm living in a dream and not knowing what I've just said or heard.... Is this all OCD?? Will this xanax help at all? Does anyone experience any of these symptoms? Thanks for listening to my rant..... :/
Bookmark and Share

Offline gtripoli

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Diagnosed with OCD today
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 02:30:28 PM »
It seems my anxiety and fear/worry is more problematic than OCD right?!

OCD is an anxiety disorder.  Your anxiety is caused by your OCD. Also, OCD does not always produce noticeable compulsions like hand washing, a lot of compulsions tend to be mental. A compulsion is really anything you do to temporarily relieve your anxiety, such as trying to mentally counteract an obsessive thought.

Have you done much reading about OCD? I would definitely recommend that you read as much as you can about the disorder.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 02:49:03 PM »
I saw a new psychiatrist today (haven't seen one in over 2 years) and he told me I suffer OCD.... That's weird.... I know I suffer severe anxiety, panic attacks and am depressed but have never been told I have OCD.

No worries - I was diagnosed with the exactly the same thing - I call it "The Big 3" - Panic Attacks/Anxiety Attacks (GAD)/OCD) back in the 1990's.

Good News - We now have FDA approved medication that can handle all "Big 3" including OCD.  (Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil...many more) - which was a great breakthrough in the medical field.  Most of the medical community is now leaning toward the theory that "The Anxiety Disease" (also the name of a famous book) can manifests itself in some individuals with all of these conditions - not just anxiety alone.

So my psychiatrist today prescribed my .25 xanax and would like me to eventually have the courage to take an antidepressant.... I've just recently started having these thoughts where I would close my eyes and see something bad happen and cry my eyes out. I've also just recently started feeling spacey, like I'm living in a dream and not knowing what I've just said or heard.... Is this all OCD?? Will this xanax help at all? Does anyone experience any of these symptoms? Thanks for listening to my rant..... :/

You seem to have a very understanding doctor  :happy0151:  - All these conditions for me came "in a package deal" -  :sign0093:  - lucky us...

The Xanax will work - and I am happy your psychiatrist gave you a very effective medication to help - "level you out" and help you gain control of your symptoms and anxiety.

I would encourage you to follow your doctor's advice and start using the Xanax - yes I know it is scary   B-;- but .25 is a very low dose, and will start your journey back to a "normal life"  - so you can get back on that rollercoaster  :yes:

Side note:  If you want to educate yourself more about what you are experiencing check out - "The Anxiety Disease by David Sheehan" one of the first real breakthroughs in mental health field, it is a little dated - but has a lot of wonderful and helpful information.  You might even find a free PDF copy on the net...

Great people at this site, with lots of experience and empathy - you in the right place  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Brittney.kerby0510

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 03:20:47 PM »
Thank you both for your replies. I have done a lot of searching on this OCD since I've posted this and well, just like everything else I read, its all me to a T. Haha. I'm curious though, about the Xanax. I was on it for about 6 months in 2009. I have a terrible memory so I don't really remember being on it but I do know it makes you a little drowsy/tired.... I suffer from severe dizziness (I guess because of my anxiety/no medical issue diagnosed of course) so wont the Xanax make that worse? Will I be able to care for my children as I'm a stay at home mom and my husband is gone 17 hours out of the day.? Will I be able to drive my children places? Go places? Will I feel too loopy or out of it? I'm terrified to try this again. Thank in advance!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 03:50:42 PM »
wont the Xanax make that worse? Will I be able to care for my children as I'm a stay at home mom and my husband is gone 17 hours out of the day.? Will I be able to drive my children places? Go places? Will I feel too loopy or out of it? I'm terrified to try this again. Thank in advance!!

So many wonderful advances in the medical field of Pharmacology have been made!!  :happy0151:

I had these same concerns...

- Xanax along with Lorazepam are short-acting medications that will last maybe 3-4 hours, yet still give you impressive results.
(one disclaimer here:  never consume any alcohol with these meds, it can actually double 2X the effect of benzodiazepines.)

- The trick I used, was to invite a friend over 1/2 a day to "just stay with me" in case anything happens, while I took this medication...  Of course, nothing happened ... but the "Moral Support" was invaluable to help me ease my fears.

- Another Trick, I just took 1/2 the medication - so I can experience the effects on my body.  This again, lowered my anxiety and fear.

Finally, like all other medications - they all have some side effects - Dizziness, fatigue, dry mouth are all listed and many more....  But , you will only know if you actually take it - you might end up with only "a dry mouth" or at .25 mg - maybe none...

My 85 year old father is currently on Xanax at a much larger dose, and he drives around town to every garage sale in town, and has not slowed him down a bit....

Just as a suggestion, when you feel the courage to do so:  I would schedule a day - to have "a friend come over" and use 1/2 the dosage - and face your fears for one dose, - and then let us know how you did...

In the long term, you want to be mentally healthy - and when you are mentally healthy - you will be feeling well and every area of your life will improve.

Good luck, hang in there !!   :nature-smiley-016:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Tags: