Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Coming off medication  (Read 422 times)

Offline raggamuffin

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Coming off medication
« on: June 10, 2014, 04:29:02 AM »
Is there a general rule of thumb for how long remeron/mirtazapine stays in the system for? Went from 45mg to 22.5 for 1 week and now I went down to 7.5mg.

Today is the first day without anything and i'm wondering is there an average amount of time for it to get out of the system entirely?

Ed
Bookmark and Share
Feel free to add me on the book of faces - "Ed Raggamuffin Foulds"

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Coming off medication
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 01:30:06 PM »
Hello Raggamuffin...  My name is Chuck and I am one of the Global Moderators here on Anxiety Zone.

Remeron's (Mirtazapine’s) half-life is some 20–40 hours, the average being 26 hours for gentleman and 37 hours for the ladies.  Girls always take longer. So mirtazapine is out of a guy’s system in about five days while it’s out of a girl’s in about seven.

Hope that you have a smooth transition getting off the Remeron.

The very best to you, Raggamuffin!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline raggamuffin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 04:38:09 PM »
Well the first night off it was a disaster. I'm going back to 7.5 for another week or so as I fear I rushed dropping from 7.5 to nothing after only 4 days on 7.5.

Personally I think coming off them hasn't been very smooth. The past week or so the anxiety pains and general feeling of anxiety has been far higher than it's been in a very long time.

But trying to sleep last night wasn't happening - I was trying to sleep for over 2 hours and I just couldn't. With such intense uneasiness and feeling like I was going to die - horrid. I hope it's easier after a bit longer on 7.5

Ed
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 94
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 05:48:13 PM »
I was trying to sleep for over 2 hours and I just couldn't. With such intense uneasiness and feeling like I was going to die - horrid. I hope it's easier after a bit longer on 7.5

The general rule of thumb is not to increase or decrease doses any faster than 5 times the maximum half-life of a med which is how long it typically takes for plasma levels to stabilize, but I suggest an extra day or two to build confidence. For mirtazapine that's 8 days + 1-2.

Also mirtazapine is a strange antidepressant as it doesn't inhibit serotonin or norepinephrine reuptake. It seems to rely almost exclusively on a powerful antihistamine response and its blocking of the serotonin 5-HT2A receptor. It is thought those with anxiety and especially depression have an overabundance of these receptors which causes excess excitation in areas of the brain associated with anxiety and depression.

There's not much you can do in relation to the 5-HT2A receptor, but Benadryl may produce sufficient antihistamine activity to help ease you off the med. If it doesn't ask your doctor for hydroxyzine, a more powerful prescription antihistamine often prescribed by benzophobic doctors as an alternative to benzodiazepines as it doesn't cause physical dependence.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline raggamuffin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 04:48:36 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I'll pick some up at the pharmacy. I was wondering if you knew of any none addictive muscle relaxants. Whenever I have had a couple of drinks I never get any of the aches. I can be aching constantly but a few drinks and they've gone. Now I know better than to drink daily to avoid pains. But surely alcohol is a muscle relaxant? If all my aches and pains that bother me 24/7 are removed by a muscle relaxant, surely it'd make sense to get a prescription of some?

Ed
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 05:49:16 PM »
I was wondering if you knew of any none addictive muscle relaxants.

No I don't, Ed, but it is not something I know much about.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline OCD_intrudes_on_me

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
I've tried coming off of Zoloft too fast or missed a dose, and I've had what feels like shooting electrical pulses go up my neck when I move my eyes or neck. Not a good feeling. Does Remeron have any of those types of side effects? I guess I need to do some more reading, because I don't even know if that's a medication that can be taken for OCD, but don't feel alone. These medications are changing chemicals in the brain to combat issues, so I'm sure a slow and steady approach would always be best. Hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 01:44:45 AM »
I've tried coming off of Zoloft too fast or missed a dose, and I've had what feels like shooting electrical pulses go up my neck when I move my eyes or neck. Not a good feeling. Does Remeron have any of those types of side effects?

It usually doesn't as it is not a serotonin reuptake inhibitor which seems to be the mechanism which drives the zaps, but with antidepressants anything is possible.

I guess I need to do some more reading, because I don't even know if that's a medication that can be taken for OCD,

It might work, but it wouldn't be a first, or even second choice med. For OCD the first choice meds are the SSRI Luvox (fluvoxamine) and Anafranil (clomipramine), technically a tricyclic antidepressant (TCA) but actually the most potent SSRI of them all, followed by the other SSRIs, SNRIs and TCAs. There is some evidence that N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) supplements can increase the effectiveness of antidepressants in OCD, however, this shouldn't be taken if there are lung cancer risk factors as it may help cancerous cells evade the immune system.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline raggamuffin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 07:03:17 AM »
Last time I reduced the dose of Remeron my anxiety pains peaked. They were extremely intense and painful. Having reduced the dose again (1/4 of a 15mg tablet from 7.5mg previously) i'm now plagued with insomnia - a condition i've never suffered from in the past. Without a bare minimum of 6 hours sleep my anxiety pains go nuclear.

Last night I struggled for 3 hours to get to sleep. Towards the end of it I noticed I was getting open eye hallucinations. I'm talking full on vivid colours and patterns. The more I focused on them the brighter the colours and patterns became. Quite unnerving. Almost as strange as yesterday morning when I saw a full 3d man pinned to my wall in a flying kick pose when I opened my eyes having woken up. He turned and smiled at me before disappearing.

So I got out of bed and stayed up for another 3 hours then tried to sleep again. It took 2 hours to finally get to sleep. Then, as another first, I kept waking up every 15 mins or so due to night terrors everytime I did fall asleep. This lasted several hours. Most of these dreams were lucid but not really controllable as crazy and really terrifying things kept happening and kept waking me up. There were times I was convinced I was awake until something utterly horrid happened and woke me up. I kept waking up in a panic and then falling back to sleep again. Honestly this is very new for me - 3 new and very unnerving things happening in one night.

Remeron is supposedly one of the easier anxiety medications to come off. I get the feeling i'll be having a nap or 2 today as I think I manged 2.5-3 hours of sleep last night and I feel like a wreck - severe dizziness, brain zaps, aches and pains, nausea. Could all be anxiety - possibly heightened due to lack of sleep and reducing this medication. It took 7 or 8 days on the lower dose last time to start feeling a bit more normal again. In general though, the past 2 weeks that i've been reducing my doseage of Remeron has been nothing short of hell. Aches and pains so severe day in day out. It's really draining me.

It's making me believe I shouldn't try another medication. I finally managed to get a benzo though. ordered online from an indian pharmacy. It's been going for over 30 years and comes in correct packaging so I wasn't worried about it being something other than what I was expecting. 1mg of Etizolam reduces my aches for about 3 hours before they start coming back. It doesn't ever stop them completely - the only thing that has is alcohol. I only bought 10 of these pills and i've limited myself to a maximum of 2 per week for when things get very bad.

Also decided I need to go sober for the forseeable future. I was drinking every day for 3 weeks which is obviously compounding the problem. The aches and pains were far worse when hungover so it'll be good to gauge the situation after several days sober to see how I do. I was mainly drinking to stop the aches and also to be able to fall asleep easily as, no matter how tired I feel, i've not been able to get to sleep easily, or stay asleep properly whilst reducing Remeron. I know things should get better once i'm off them completely.

I'm going to book another appointment with my GP and ask them what I can do 'cos I can't go on like this.

Ed
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 08:22:24 AM »
Last night I struggled for 3 hours to get to sleep. Towards the end of it I noticed I was getting open eye hallucinations. I'm talking full on vivid colours and patterns. The more I focused on them the brighter the colours and patterns became. Quite unnerving. Almost as strange as yesterday morning when I saw a full 3d man pinned to my wall in a flying kick pose when I opened my eyes having woken up. He turned and smiled at me before disappearing.

I don't know if you're hallucinating Ed, or somehow slipping into a REM state while still at least partially awake, but I think you need to see your GP about this asap.

Remeron is supposedly one of the easier anxiety medications to come off.

It usually is so I'm not sure these things are due to withdrawal, though the insomnia probably is and the lack of sleep may be producing some of the bizarre effects you're experiencing.

I finally managed to get a benzo though. ordered online from an indian pharmacy.

I trust you have prescription for it as possession of benzodiazepines without one may get you into a lot of strife (etizolam isn't technically a BZD, but this would probably be a moot point legally). I don't know what the legal ramifications are in Britain, but in some jurisdictions the penalties are the same as for possession of illicit drugs.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline raggamuffin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 09:08:41 AM »
Monday would be the earliest I could get an appointment with my GP. Be worth seeing if it happens again. It didn't happen the second time I tried falling asleep. Could just be because i'd been trying to get to sleep for so long and i'd been in the dark and my eyes were playing tricks on me. The fact that the actual sleep I got all felt lucid and very intense and messed up probably means I was in a hypnagogic state of consciousness. I'm not going to stress about it though, it won't help me at all. If I start associating danger or fear with going to bed I probably would give myself insomnia.

Coming off remeron - I don't know. Personally my whole anxiety journey has felt on the severe end of the scale. So I guess it stands to reason that coming off a med would probably have more sever side effects. As for the Etizolam - it wasn't an ideal solution. But once i'm off Remeron in the next couple of weeks i'll be disposing of any spare ones.

Tried having a nap earlier. 3 hours and couldn't fall asleep at all. Not being able to sleep is truly going to make things a million times worse. It's difficult when I feel so shattered and yet can't fall asleep. Getting to sleep has never been a problem and I don't want it to start being one now or I won't have a chance of overcoming my anxiety.

Ed

Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 06:32:16 PM »
Could just be because i'd been trying to get to sleep for so long and i'd been in the dark and my eyes were playing tricks on me.

Possibly, Ed. Though I suspect you're getting at least some sleep without realising it and possible waking during the REM stages which accounts for the hallucinations.

Benadryl might be a strong enough antihistamine to replace the histamine blocking actions of Remeron. If not, ask your doctor about trazodone.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline raggamuffin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 12:13:15 PM »
Eleven days now. The appetite hasn't returned properly, still get a lot of nausea and dizziness and a few brain zaps. Sleeping has got easier. Aches and pains remain just as bad. Could all be general anxiety symptoms, no idea at this point.

Hopefully things will improve more as time goes by.

Ed
Bookmark and Share

Offline joe2014

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 12:30:21 PM »
I've tried coming off of Zoloft too fast or missed a dose, and I've had what feels like shooting electrical pulses go up my neck when I move my eyes or neck. Not a good feeling. Does Remeron have any of those types of side effects? I guess I need to do some more reading, because I don't even know if that's a medication that can be taken for OCD, but don't feel alone. These medications are changing chemicals in the brain to combat issues, so I'm sure a slow and steady approach would always be best. Hang in there!

Hi just wondering if you in fact did get off zoloft and if so how has it been for you?
Thanks
Joe
Bookmark and Share

Offline raggamuffin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 01:22:19 PM »
I'm off it for 11 days. Did 1 week on half tab (22.5mg) then just over 1 week on 7.5mg then came off it. it was tough but i've nearly made it 2 weeks off it. Coming off it was hell, mainly for insomnia, nausea and lack of appetite. Slowly getting better though. Also I came off it way too quickly, but I just wanted to be done with it a.s.a.p.

Ed
Bookmark and Share

Tags: