Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Pale stools fat malabsorption and reflux- I'm a mess!  (Read 426 times)

Offline nole23

• Rec's: 7
    • Poke This Member
Pale stools fat malabsorption and reflux- I'm a mess!
« on: June 09, 2014, 09:14:39 PM »
Hey all,
So I have been having a plethora of digestive issues. But for the past week I have had a new symptom - a terrible taste at the back of my throat - which my GI confirmed was reflux after I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy last week. I'm just really freaking out about pancan.

I have been told that my body doesn't digest fat (fat stool test), my stools are light kinda yellowish (what does pale mean?!) I have random pains in my upper abdomen and back and now the reflux... I'm so scared! I'm a 30 y.o female and otherwise in good health. My liver function is good and my bcc came back good. Plus the inflammatory markers were low which is good (right?)

I'm really worried :( My GI is looking for digestive issues and told me if he finds nothing he's going to test my pancreas... Even just hearing that sent me into an anxiety spiral!
Anyone had these symptoms? Know why else I could be feeling them? Would something have been off in my bloodwork if I had a sinister disease??
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pale stools fat malabsorption and reflux- I'm a mess!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 11:52:57 PM »
If I had a dime for every pale stool....  When stressed (or if eating somethingthat ddoesn't agree with me like milknor ice cream, mine are a light golden, almost GGuldens mustard color.  With pancan, they are more gray, whitish or clay color.  Also you would have other symptoms I will not mention (for obvious reasons.  My half brother died from it and he was 61.  Your ssymptoms could be due to a hundred other things, and the doc is checking your pancreas to put you at ease.  Also,  pc is very treatable if caught early.  You'll be fine and I pray you get some peace,  hugs
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 12:36:56 AM »
What does fat malapsorption look like?

My stools smell funky like yeast or cheese. Would this be considered foul smwlling?

Also when I wipe, the poop has a wet coating like BBQ sauce or room temperature butter spread
Bookmark and Share

Offline nole23

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 02:55:05 AM »
Thanks nytviolet for your response. My stomach just hasn't been right all year and now that I know my colon is all clear I have somehow got caught in the pancan frenzy. I really hope it's just digestive... But it's so hard not to worry when symptoms are so persistent :(
Iamhealthy- I don't think fat malabsorption looks like anything. It's something that can only be tested for with a specific test.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 08:17:39 AM »
I think sometimes all fat in stool means in you might need to take an extra enzyme to help break down the fat. Your pancreas might not make enough of that naturally. Do your stools float? I to get random heartburn that type that radiates to my right upper back. I have had an EGD and colonoscopy and both were negative. I do not have any issues with my stools, no nausea, bloating, stomach pain, apatite is fine, I feel great and my blood work was perfect. But about once every 4-6 weeks I have a quick episode of what feels like heartburn. Anti acids cure it immediately. I'm 27 but I constantly worry about PanCan.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline nole23

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 12:21:45 AM »
Thanks Lindsay,
My stools do float sometimes. It's all so worrying! I have been trying a new diet which is meant to heal my stomach but so far it's the same :(
My GP told me not to worry about pancan but for us hyperchondriacs it's just so hard to do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 12:27:22 AM »
Will contribute that my anxiety, although never poo-stationed, almost always effects the colour/consistency of my turdcurdle.  :party0006:
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline nole23

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 08:32:53 AM »
Will contribute that my anxiety, although never poo-stationed, almost always effects the colour/consistency of my turdcurdle.  :party0006:

Haha thanks for the contribution :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 08:43:09 AM »
I also fear PanCan so I know exactly how you feel.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nole23

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 09:29:30 AM »
I think pan can is a common HA fear - maybe because of Steve jobs or Patrick swayze... Or maybe just because a lot of us have digestive issues and we put them down to the worst case scenario. Either way it really sucks. I hate this fear.
My GI doc sent me a report of my endoscopy and colonoscopy. All it said was that he took a whole heap of biopsies and that I had changes in my oesophagus because of reflux. If something more sinister was going on would it show? And what are the biopsies for? Do they always take them or only if they are suspicious of something???
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 09:45:51 AM »
They always take them. Even healthy looking tissue. I had a colonoscopy and EGD in April. Everything was normal however I had one area of redness in my stomach. Biopsies were normal so probably just from acid. I don't know if she took healthy colon biopsies or not. I had a small polyp in my sigmoid removed and biopsied. It was a completely benign hyperplastic polyp that has no cancer risk. Since my EGD was normal my Gastro suggested a CT of my abdominal area and pelvis but I declined because of anxiety. I don't do well with tests. According to my report nothing was seen during the tests to prompt a ct scan it is just part of her normal work up with all other tests are normal. It's in the back of my mind maybe she just told me all was normal so I don't freak out but then again that's lying to a patient which could end in an ugly lawsuit if she thought something was wrong. She just seems like an extremely test happy doctor because I was 26 when I first saw her for periodic blood on stool and I mentioned the periodic heartburn and that same day she scheduled an EGD and colonoscopy. That's almost unheard of especially at my young age.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: