Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Prozac 5 mg weird side effects  (Read 164 times)

Offline sarahjxde

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Prozac 5 mg weird side effects
« on: June 09, 2014, 12:16:44 PM »
I don't know if I'm just exaggerating because I've only been on prozac 5 mg for 3 days. However, today when I started walked , I felt weird. It's hard to explain. It's like I couldn't catch my breath and my heart beat started feeling irregular. Never felt like that before. Is it even possible to have side effects only being on 5 mg for 3 days?
Bookmark and Share

Offline poppadr3w

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Prozac 5 mg weird side effects
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 01:25:10 PM »
While I am no doctor, you're introducing a new medication to your body. I remember the first medication I took I felt side effects a couple of days after my first dose, so it's completely possible.

Side effects tend to fade away as the body gets more accustomed to the medicine. Maybe ask your prescribing medical professional for a benzo such as Xanax for the transitional period. I took a small amount of Xanax every morning when I started Cymbalta last year to cope with the morning sickness I had.

Best of luck to you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 02:22:47 PM »
I don't know if I'm just exaggerating because I've only been on prozac 5 mg for 3 days. However, today when I started walked , I felt weird. It's hard to explain. It's like I couldn't catch my breath and my heart beat started feeling irregular. Never felt like that before. Is it even possible to have side effects only being on 5 mg for 3 days?

Hi Sarah, yes it is perfectly normal - I had the same reaction on Prozac when I first started.  My psychiatrist had me dissolve a 20mg capsule into eight ounces of apple juice, and was instructed to take only about 2 ounces for the first two weeks - back then Prozac only came in 20 mg caps.

So I guess I was taking a very low dose - about 3-6 mg per day, for the first two weeks, and yes it was a rollercoaster ride for me since I am very sensitive to medication.

The good news - side effects are common with Prozac and should abate in about 2 weeks, if you still have these side effects are two weeks, see you doctor about getting a Benzo to help you during the transition period.

I agree with Poppadr in his posting below:

While I am no doctor, you're introducing a new medication to your body. I remember the first medication I took I felt side effects a couple of days after my first dose, so it's completely possible.

Side effects tend to fade away as the body gets more accustomed to the medicine. Maybe ask your prescribing medical professional for a benzo such as Xanax for the transitional period. I took a small amount of Xanax every morning when I started Cymbalta last year to cope with the morning sickness I had.

Best of luck to you.

Keep up the good work, you will need to be patient, it is a normal process for most of us, when first starting any type of AD or SSRI...

Hang in there !  :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline sarahjxde

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 07:10:40 PM »
thanks y'all for the replies. i do have 25 mg xanax which i usually take one or two when i go out in public, which is hardly honestly. but, i will continue prozac and see how it works.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: