Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Possible gallbladder symptoms or something else?  (Read 319 times)

Offline Eric68

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Possible gallbladder symptoms or something else?
« on: June 09, 2014, 10:19:24 AM »
This is sort of a cross post from the health anxiety board, but I thought the people over here might also have some insight.

I've been having stomach issues for about 2 months.  They have included loss of appetite (no nausea), reflux, bloating, and transient stomach pain on the left and the right under my ribs and to the side, as well as in the same spots directly behind in my back.

The reflux seems to be gone, but the other symptoms remain.  I had an upper endoscopy which showed mild gastritis.  I then had a billiary scan which showed my gallbladder was not functioning correctly.  My GI doctor never did an ultrasound to see if I actually had gallstones (the billiary scan simply tracks a tracer chemical through your liver and gallbladder).  Last week he scheduled me for a CT scan this coming Wednesday.  I had a CT scan done two months ago when I ended up in the ER with a kidney stone (my first).  It showed nothing remarkable in any of my other organs; however, they didn't use contrast. 

I'm just so scared about what I will find out.  I keep telling myself that I do this to myself all the time and then it's something either treatable or nothing at all.

I'm afraid of pancreatic cancer, mostly, though aside from the left sided pain and the appetite loss I have no other real symptoms.  Really all this could be due to gallbladder issues. 

I guess I'm just sort of looking for any input or reassurance from people with gallbladder experiences and pain locations.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alegna

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Possible gallbladder symptoms or something else?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 08:04:16 AM »
How did you CT scan go?  It really does sound like gallbladder problems (I had mine out 8 years ago) I hope your feeling better  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Eric68

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 10:47:21 AM »
The CT scan found nothing remarkable except for a hemangioma in my liver.  That's the danger of scans, you find stuff that you don't know you have and shouldn't worry about.

I didn't talk to the doctor directly, so I could never get to whether they saw gallstones or not.  I know you can have gallbladder dysfunction without stones.

So my options are to wait and see if things improve or have a consult with a surgeon.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Eric68

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 02:28:25 PM »
I also need to get the actual results from my billiary (HIDA) scan.  Nobody ever told me my gallbladder function %, which irks me a bit. 

I'm starting to wonder if all of this is in my a result of anxiety - anxiety causes stomach issue which causes anxiety which prolongs stomach issue...

What I'm having isn't exactly pain, just gurgly stomach and abdominal discomfort which comes and goes and may sometimes coincide with what I eat, but not always. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Japhy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 08:43:51 AM »
       Just had my gall bladder out a month ago along with a sigmoid colectomy. Those hida scan numbers are pretty much useless. My scan was normal Also a CT scan produced all normal results. When my surgeon got in there , my gall bladder was an absolute mess. Sometimes people show very abnormal hida scan results but show no symptoms. So the gall bladder can be a very deceptive     
Little organ.  Your symptoms sound very familiar to me. When you get it out, don't be anxious about some of the resulting side effects. They can be annoying but there are good meds out there for it. You'll get through it. Take care.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Eric68

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 11:13:29 PM »
I just had my gallbladder out 3 days ago!  Feeling better every day.  Man, the anesthesia made me so sore for two days.  My gut is still trying to equilibrate.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: