Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Does explaining how anxiety is disabling frustrate anyone else?  (Read 256 times)

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
Ever since this 'episode' started 4 months ago my roommate has been bothering me about why I don't 'have fun' anymore. I've attempted to explain to him why I cannot fully enjoy myself and why, 'having a beer' won't help.

Sure, I'd LIKE to go to a cook-out, but doing it is an impossibility. And yes, it is anxiety, but no, it is not quite 'all in my head'. Centrifugal to my head, sure, but I display physical symptoms and it makes it hard to break the cycle. I would say I wish he had even the slightest idea of how awful it really is, yet I wouldn't wish this on anyone. No. I'm not being 'lazy'. I just can't currently bring myself to go with you to a bar.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline ActInsane

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Does explaining how anxiety is disabling frustrate anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 07:25:29 AM »
It's extremely frustrating. For me at least.

When the episodes of panic and different symptoms get bad I don't usually want to get out of bed. And no matter how much I've tried to explain my partner what I feel or how I feel I don't seem to find the right words. I really want them to know and understand but it is so annoying how there is no good way of saying it. At least I haven't discovered one.
Usually people end up understanding I think im sick in my head and thats that. They don't seem to understand the part where I actually ache and have discomfort physically. And how I can't just choose to not think this way. It looks like im lazy, really.

I wish my post was more helpful. But yes, I do have the same issue as you.
Bookmark and Share

Online TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 08:08:21 AM »
Yes agitating and gets very tiresome when people just don't get it because they don't understand it because they have never had it.

We sound like broken records but darn it why can people understand other health problems but not mental health problems .

People are more sympathetic towards people with illnesses they can actually see like a broken body part or a cut or worse like Cancer or Disabilities people are born with and we all should be of course but what most don't understand is how miserable we feel on the inside and it does affect how we look and act on the outside but we are told to get over it or deal with it and move on if it were only that easy . Who wants to be stuck in the house having panic or feel depressed not me but people just think you are either lazy or not wanting to hang out with them anymore and not offer support or help.

Good Luck just keep working on you !!
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

God is Good all the Time! All the Time God is Good! :)

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 08:28:03 AM »
People are more sympathetic if you had cancer, heart disease, etc. There used to be a radio commercial that
talked about how depression was more or less blown off compared to actual physical illness. The issue also is
that mental illness is intangible and harder for others to understand.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Diane

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 09:35:54 AM »
I definitely feel like my friends don't get what I'm feeling, it's like I'm speaking a different language. But the thing that REALLY bugs me is that many doctors don't understand it. In the last few years I've twice had the experience of going to a new doctor, explaining to the nurse that I am very phobic of doctors, they can expect my heart rate and bp to be very elevated, it's an anxiety thing. I then ask if I can skip the pulse and bp check at least until later on in the appointment after I have spoken to the doctor about my main concern. The nurse replies no, we need to get vitals right now, sorry, then she takes pulse and bp and freaks out that it's so high, then the doc comes in and we have a huge discussion about my rapid pulse and high bp which I explain is due to a panic attack which I always have at a doctor's office but could we please talk about this mole, or whatever.   Twice I've been given ekgs cuz of my "racing heart" and twice given beta blockers to take home even thought I explain at home my pulse and bp are normal. HELLLOOOOOOO do they not cover panic/anxiety disorders in med school????  I know I'm not the only patient who reacts this way, and when it happens I feel worse, misunderstood, and the whole experience adds fuel to the problem.  Sorry to rant, this just happened to me again and it is so frustrating. I guess I should call around to a few docs' office and try to find one who has experience with panicked patients.
Bookmark and Share
Diane

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 37
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 02:57:23 PM »
Yep.  I find it's really hard to explain to people who don't have anxiety, so I don't bother trying and just say I'm not feeling well.  People with anxiety can be just as bad though, because we all tend to forget that everyone's anxiety is different, and we don't get why if we can do something, someone else can't.
Bookmark and Share

Offline spongecake

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 03:27:47 PM »
"Get over it." "Worrying won't fix it so just cheer up." "It's a choice, you just have to choose not to be affected by it."

*Sigh* Yeah we all heard it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 03:48:18 PM »
I'm not bothered by other people's lack of understanding.

I'm bothered by how dumb it all sounds when I actually say it out loud.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 12:31:09 AM »
Bumping because still interested.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline Disaster_Dino

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 06:49:28 AM »
my mom, although supportive in my times of sadness, tends to get tired of my feelings. Hell, my brother makes fun of me for it.

My friends are aware of my anxiety, and for the most part it doesn't get in the way of my plans.

if I ever develop bad symptoms though...I'm not sure if i'll be able to handle it. This past month and a half have been endlessly stressful for me, and i'm pretty much on the brink....
Bookmark and Share
"everything will be alright in the end. If everything's not alright, it's not quite the end!"

Offline lesleea

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 09:27:36 AM »
Yes, I get picked on at my house all the time by my fiance who makes crude remarks about killing himself if i was sick or calling me names like retard if i had a problem with my health. Then he eventually gerts mad enough at me that he threatens to throw me out on the street.
My mom also is getting frustrated\, she says i annoy her with my problems.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: