Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: What substance fell on me and will I be okay?  (Read 93 times)

Offline laurenm

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
What substance fell on me and will I be okay?
« on: June 08, 2014, 10:09:06 PM »
Hi everyone,

It's been awhile since I posted here. . .I am so glad a resource like this exists!

I was walking along a tree-lined street in the city this evening (I live in Chicago). I felt something land on my upper lip. If I had been walking by a building I would have guessed it was condensation from an air conditioner. But I wasn't walking by a building, I was walking under a tree. I immediately wiped my mouth with my shirt, but CANNOT STOP worrying about what it might have been. When I got inside I looked at where I had wiped my mouth on my shirt. It didn't appear to have a color, like bird poop would. But again, I CANNOT STOP worrying about what it might have been! Bird poop? Some other animal poop? Urine? It hasn't rained in almost 24 hours so I don't think it was a random droplet.

Agh, it drives me crazy that 98% of other people would have moved on with their day and would not be obsessing about this like I am. Has anyone here had a similar experience? Any insight/wisdom/knowledge to share?

Thank you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What substance fell on me and will I be okay?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 10:43:24 PM »
Hi, I live in Chicago too.  I haven't had an experience like you describe.  But I'd just jump in the shower and put it behind me. Good luck.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 11:16:23 PM »
My note probably wasn't very helpful.  But wanted to say hi as I'm a Chicagoan.  And I hope you find a good resolution!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pink Cat

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 06:02:41 PM »
Bird droppings or anything like that would probably have color and smell/taste really bad.  I think it could have come from a lot of things, but water is everywhere.  :)  I know how you feel to some extent, my boyfriend gets wigged out by things like that: touching something he thinks is dirty, house hold cleaning supplies, gasoline, etc.  I used to worry about things like that too when I was little.  You're most likely perfectly safe.  I've heard of people eating all sorts of weird things and being fine, so I'm sure something getting on your lip isn't going to hurt you. 

When I was little all we ever did was play in the dirt, and I know we got that in our mouths at some point.  lol  We are all just fine though.  Once I ate really old pine nuts that were in the pantry, but I didn't know they were old until after I had chewed them.  >.>  Bleh, but I was okay. 

Another time -- gross I know -- the neighbor's son, who was probably 3 or 4, stepped in dog crap in our back yard and instead of washing his foot or something he wiped it with his hand and then wiped it on his clothes.  Ain't nobody going to convince me he didn't touch his mouth later.  lol  Their son was perfectly fine. 

A little while back my boyfriend was doing some kind of yard work for his grandfather and got splashed with gasoline and was really really nervous about it hurting him somehow.  We looked it up to double check -- though I was pretty sure there was nothing dangerous about gasoline, and he only got it splashed on his lip -- and everything he found said there was nothing dangerous about it.  There was even a story about some guy drinking a bunch of it o.O but when the guy went to his doctor, all the doctor said was that your body can't absorb gasoline, you will just have to wait for it to pass through your system, and that he would probably have an upset stomach till it did. 

Just think of all the stuff little kids eat and all the stuff people eat on accident, but they are all okay.  If getting something weird on you or getting something funny on your lip was really dangerous you would hear stories constantly about it because it happens so often.  :)  I think you're okay. 

It definitely doesn't sound like it's animal droppings of any kind so it must be water from something.  If you think about it, if it's not water and not animal droppings, what could it possibly be that is really dangerous?  It's not like there was a guy in the tree trying to drop poison on you, you know?  I really don't mean to make fun or anything; please don't think that.  All I mean to point out is that there are very few things it could be and none of them are dangerous.  :)

I hope you feel better.  You're alright.  :)
Bookmark and Share
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and spiders.

Tags: