Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Here I go again  (Read 180 times)

Offline richdelb

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Here I go again
« on: June 08, 2014, 09:47:32 PM »
Hi folks.  I'm going nuts trying to convince myself not to go nuts.  I have been diagnosed with a bad anxiety disorder, RLS, periodic night time movement disorder.  Doc said my anxiety symptoms are what he calls classic, and textbook.

I have occasional numbness in the mouth and face that the doc said are totally from stress.  I try to accept that this feeling, and my headaches, neck pain, tiredness are all anxiety alone.

I take an antidepressant and that has helped a lot with depression.

A couple nights ago I slept "weird" on my left arm and my hand was totally asleep and tingling when I woke up.  My arm has been sore ever since and that is freaking me out and making my facial numbness worse this weekend.  Now I am also having dizzy spells. 

Of corse, I now assume I have ms or something and am going nuts about it. 

Any ideas on what I can do to break this fear cycle?

THANKS
Bookmark and Share

Offline AlwaysAnxious36

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Here I go again
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 07:41:09 PM »
Hi! I too get facial numbness from stress.  I notice that when I think about it a lot it gets worse and I think I am having a TIA or stroke.  If I get my mind off of it it goes away so I know its nothing serious. 

What I do to get my mind off of it is read, or play a game.  It works!  You need to train your brain to stop thinking about it, easier said than done.  :)  I wish you luck.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 08:39:12 PM »
I tend to sleep in bad positions for my arms and wake up frequently with them numb and/or tingling. What I have noticed is that when it is really bad because I was in a bad position for too long, after the really bad tingling wears off, my arm still hurts and feels sort of tingly and almost burning sometimes for several days after. I think severe pinching off of the nerve can sort of bruise the nerve and it takes a while to fully recover. Vitamin B is supposed to be very important in nerve health so I'd suggest you take some and do your best to keep your muscles relaxed.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 08:49:27 PM »
I get a numb upper lip when I'm anxious.

My friend has RLS and her doctor told her to take 1000 IU of Vitamin D daily in addition to B vitamins. She said it made a huge difference.

Like Toasted said, B vitamins are very good, too. I take EZ Melts: it contains B12, Folic Acid, Biotin and Vit. B6. Great for anxiety, as well as RLS.

Does the antidepressant you're on also treat anxiety? If so, maybe you should speak with your doctor to see if you're on a high enough dose to treat it?

Bookmark and Share

Offline richdelb

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 10:12:43 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  It's actually good to hear other people get the lip numbness too.  (makes me feel like I'm not alone with that).

I have been taking a b12 supplement, but didn't' think about a b-complex.  Perhaps I'll switch to that and see how it goes for a while...

And I do take 2000 IU of vitamin D, however now that it's summer, I have backed off on that one as I am getting a lot of time out in the sun lately.

Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 11:24:23 PM »
Yeah, the lip numbness is quite the odd sensation. Because I can't stand that numbness, I don't like novocaine - I even had a root canal done last year with no novocaine!
I can handle when my hands, fingers, legs tingle or go numb but not my upper lip or nose.

Yes, b-complex is very good for anxiety/RSL,  etc.

Vitamin D is still important for anxiety people because our stress levels can really deplete it, so I continue taking my Vit D even though I get plenty of sun, too.

Have you ever heard of Quinine water? (I think it's a certain kind of Tonic Water). That's another thing some people use for RLS.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LASD

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 12:47:07 AM »
I remember a couple months ago I woke up to my left arm completely numb. I wasn't even sleeping in an awkward position. My arm literally hurt the entire day. You're not alone on this one, trust me
Bookmark and Share

Tags: