Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Weight gain on ssri's  (Read 160 times)

Offline LynnC

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Weight gain on ssri's
« on: June 08, 2014, 09:28:18 PM »
So I've successfully been on zoloft for a few months now at 50mg. I still suffer from headaches (although not as bad as when on Lexapro) and am just dealing with it for the time being. I'm curious to know if anyone else out there is experiencing weight gain on ssri's. I've never had weight issues in my life before and now I feel like the pounds are packing on and I'm not doing much different in terms of eating and exercising (yes both can be improved but I'm not laying around watching tv all day either). It's depressing to say the least that in order to have mental stability one needs to become physically unhealthy...what gives?
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: Weight gain on ssri's
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 11:01:21 PM »
Yeah, I'm on sertraline too and I've gained some weight. I've been on zoloft since the beginning of January and have slowly worked my way up to 125 mg and I have gained about 6-7 lbs. I know it's not very much, but I am short and any weight I gain shows. It's ironic too because one of my main anxiety symptoms was loss of appetite and nausea, and the zoloft made it WORSE at the beginning and I lost 4 lbs and was only 118 lbs. Now that my anxiety is so much better I seem to enjoy eating much more. I haven't been eating like a pig or anything, but my weight has been increasing.

What is most frustrating is that I have started exercising more than I ever have before and I am still not losing any weight. My psych told me that sertraline can slightly slow your metabolism, but I am finding that it has completely slowed it down to a crawl. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline poppadr3w

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 08:42:48 AM »
I've fluctuated in weight since I started taking SSRIs. I eat relatively well (No fast food) and exercise 5-6 days a week. Try tweaking your exercise regiment. Many people just run on a treadmill, but lifting weights is incredibly valuable when it comes to weight loss. An increase in muscle will boost your resting metabolism. Try some sort of circuit training with weights and body weight exercises.

For example:
Pull-Ups > Push-Ups > Body Weight Squats > Planks

Ensure to have adequate protein intake. I've also read that Fish Oil helps with depression and weight loss as well (They are Omega 3's, which are good fats). Try supplementing with that (I personally take 2g per day).

Stay away from processed carbohydrates. For example, if you're going to eat bread, stay away from white bread and try a whole wheat type or even a wrap.

I hope that this helps.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

• Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 11:00:59 AM »
Here's an interesting article about weight and ssris from Time.

http://time.com/2822769/the-latest-about-antidepressants-and-weight-gain/
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Tags: