Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: son off to camp....  (Read 79 times)

Offline reece

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
son off to camp....
« on: June 08, 2014, 08:38:16 AM »
so, my son is heading off to sleepaway camp today for a week. i hate this, every year i just dread it.
i worry so much while he is gone. ticks, snakes, dehydration, over heating, food poisoning, etc...you name it, i worry about it. so, he leaves in 6 hours and i'm up early just dreading it.

to make matters worse, my bed bug fear is back in full force and i'm terrified that his bunk/cabin will have bed bugs. my husband said we will check it when we get there, so that's good, but now, i'm just sitting here dreading THAT!! i'm more worried about the impending doom of that right now than i am about anything else.

please any reassurance you can give me this morning to relieve some of my stress would be appreciated.
Bookmark and Share

Online TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: son off to camp....
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 08:48:38 AM »
It is scary sending our kids off to anyplace and worse when we have anxiety and phobias but he goes every year right and so far he has come home and been fine and probably had a great time right.  So you have to let him be a kid and know that he will come home like before and this week will go by fast.

You need to replace those thoughts with positive thoughts and also funny ones also I hope you are in Therapy to help you beat these fears .

He will be fine and you will be fine and like you wrote you can check for bugs once there and odds are there are none.

Take care of yourself and work on over coming those fears you will!!
Bookmark and Share
Let it Go, Let God !

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 08:53:40 AM »
A week is not bad. I remember when our daughter went away to college for 4 years. We had some apprehension, but that
is part of our children growing up and eventually being self sufficient.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline reece

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 10:31:20 AM »
yeah, marc, not quite ready for college yet!!it'll be here before i know it, he is 13
he's
i'm just having major anxiety about drop off today. i know once he is there the fear will subside some, but right now, the whole thing is scary. i am scared to get there and have the anxiety of checking for the bedbugs(what in god's name will i do if i see them?!?!)  anyway...he IS going, so i should just know that i'll be anxious and try not to fight it i guess
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 11:27:32 AM »
As parents, we are all anxious when we drop off our kids anywhere for an extended period of time.
reece, I would not be too hard on yourself, as you are just a concerned parent. I have a cardiologist/nephrologist
client of mine who is 71 and his daughter is 34 or so and he tells me he still worries and she has been out of the
house for years.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 11:33:56 AM »
This brings back such memories. You are brave to let him go and lucky to have your husband there to help.

Reality is, once you have a child your life is irrevocably changed. My two are grown and long gone. Does that stop the worrying? Not at all. When they return to visit I leap into high bribery gear. "Why don't you move back? Meals and laundry and entertainment, etc. are cheerfully provided." They smile probably thinking, "There she goes again" and take longer to return.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: