Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Hearing still muffled after infection is gone. Scared :-(  (Read 206 times)

Offline laneysmom25

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hearing still muffled after infection is gone. Scared :-(
« on: June 07, 2014, 11:50:07 PM »
So about two weeks ago I got a bad ear infection. The pain was crazy and I couldn't hear. Dr gave me ear drops and oral antibiotic that I completely finished and the infection cleared up. But for the past week my hearing is still muffled. I've tried every home remedy to get fluid out and nothing's working. I'm scared cause I looked online and said it could be a tumor pressing on ear causing muffled hearing. I get stabbing pains in my ear and popping sounds.  I'm soooooo scared it's something bad. I'm making a follow up appt this week to see what's going on. I can't calm myself down. I'm scared I have cancer :-(
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hearing still muffled after infection is gone. Scared :-(
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 12:00:49 AM »
And that is why you shouldn't google.  Technically, any pain or dysfunction you have in your body could be linked to CA.  Effusions of the middle ear can be very persistent, and often take a nasal steroid (yes nasal) and a decongestant and still might several weeks to clear up.  If it continues to persist see an ENT.  There are several missing links in your story I don't quite understand.  First why an ear drop?  Did you have both a middle and an otitis externa (canal infection)?  Also did you have drainage?  If so, did you follow up with your doc?  It even possible an infection perforated your ear drum.  Now before you panic those heal but could produce a muffled hearing issue for quite awhile.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline laneysmom25

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 12:33:19 AM »
Yes I had both middle and outer. No drainage at all. Mostly swelling and severe pain. I've been taking an OTC decongestant pill and it hadn't been working. I'm following up this coming week with my doc.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 07:51:42 AM »
Yes I had both middle and outer. No drainage at all. Mostly swelling and severe pain. I've been taking an OTC decongestant pill and it hadn't been working. I'm following up this coming week with my doc.

Decongestants on their own don't always resolve an effusion.  You can turn the water hose on (decongestant) but if there is a kink in the hose the water won't come out.  You resolve the "kink in the hose" with a nasal steroid (Nasonex, Flonase).  If the Eustachian tube is swollen you ear won't drain despite all your efforts.  Not to mention if you had an otitis externa there can be residual swelling of the canal even after the infection is gone.

Take a deep breath, you don't have a tumor you have run of the mill residual issues after an ear infection.  Keep that appointment and let your doc know what is going on. 
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline i960

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 05:52:38 PM »
Think of the statistically likelihood of both an ear infection *and* acoustic neuroma occurring at the same time and/or the latter causing symptoms that are usually totally unrelated to it. Extremely unlikely.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 06:07:37 PM »
Went through this fear not long ago. You're fine. I had the exact same symptoms and concerns. It did take me about a month to get over the dizziness though.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline i960

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 11:31:54 PM »
Yep. When involving balance, such things are usually labyrinthitis or vestibular neuritis depending on if hearing is affected or not. Acoustic neuromas are comparatively rare.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: