Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Naegleria Fowleri (Brain Eating Amoeba)  (Read 189 times)

Offline WhatIsRationality

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Naegleria Fowleri (Brain Eating Amoeba)
« on: June 07, 2014, 11:05:01 PM »
Hello again everyone. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this:

After getting over one fear of life-threatening illness (rabies), I'm now back on here stressing over another one. It's all because something stupid had to happen. :(

Earlier today, before mowing the lawn, I was spraying our mower with the hose to get something off of it. When I went to go set it down it hit the ground and sprayed back up into my face, and of course some of the water had to get in my nose. Soon after that I began to worry about the amoeba. I tried to not let it bother me as I mowed the lawn.

After an hour or two and blowing my nose frequently (I suffer from allergies), I was done and then went in our swimming pool. I was in and out a few times and went underwater a lot in hopes of erasing my fear completely, so I could enjoy the nice weather and not have to worry about this stupid thing at all. Though it seems I'm worrying about it more now than I was earlier...

I know that the amoeba doesn't like cold water, which was what shot into my face. I'm not sure whether it was stagnant or completely flowing through by that time, as I don't remember if the hose felt cold in my hand (I don't think it did). I'm mainly worried because we have well water; I've found that most people who ask questions about the amoeba use public water. If I remember correctly, our supply is about 200 feet down, and the last time it was tested (not sure when) nothing of worry was found. Lastly, there have been no cases in my state for over 50 years, but I still have it set in my mind that I may be the first.  :(

Do you think trying to wash out my nose/sinuses in the pool potentially helped or just made the situation
worse?

I'm sorry if I'm being too detailed here; it's just not helpful when I find that generally most of the people who worry have maintained public water, and my worry seems a bit more out there. I'm fairly sure I'll be all right, but I needed to express my fears here in hopes of finding some reassurance. I certainly wasn't going to tell my parents, because they would just laugh at me. Healthy anxiety is terrible, especially when no one around understands. :(

P.S. I'm going to start working in a few days and I REALLY do not want this on my mind 24/7.  :dazed:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Naegleria Fowleri (Brain Eating Amoeba)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 05:09:54 AM »
What you have really done is replaced one major fear with another one. If you could use logic to get over your fear of rabies, use that same logic to get over this fear too. In America there are under 3 cases of Naegleria Fowler a year. Now think of the population of America. You seriously have more chances of winning the State lottery. What you have is just another irrational fear. Your mind jumping to conclusions. The worst ones it can think of. Just like it used to do with your fear of rabies. By now you accept that fear was all in your mind. This one is no different at all. The mind playing tricks on you. You are healthy. You have not got Naegleria Fowler.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline WhatIsRationality

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 11:38:12 AM »
You're right, and I think it's highly unlikely that it could have been in the water anyway. Thank you for the reassurance. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 05:05:45 PM »
On my top 10 list of outlandish fears, 'Brain-eating amoeba' and 'Rabies' are #1 and #2.

Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Tags: