Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety and college?  (Read 275 times)

Offline LyssaLou

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety and college?
« on: June 07, 2014, 03:58:57 PM »
I just finished my junior year of high school. I do rather well academically and have over a 4.0 GPA. But my anxiety and the already cruel high school environment makes me miserable. I'm going to graduate a semester early, so that means I will be a full time college student second semester this coming school year. I'm worried about college given that I have anxiety problems. I want to major in Accounting in college. I know I have a little while left to go, but anybody have any stories or advice about dealing with anxiety in college?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jane Sander

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety and college?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 11:52:34 AM »
I don't really have much experience of suffering anxiety in college. When I did my bachelors I suffered, but it wasn't due to college and now I'm doing a PhD and don't suffer at all really.

What advice I CAN give you though, is that college is a much more grown up, mature and welcoming place than most high schools :)
Bookmark and Share
I sometimes write for www.calmandserenity.com which is a resource site by a few members of Health Anxiety Forum to help sufferers of panic and anxiety.

http://www.calmandserenity.com

Proud Headspacer :P

Offline celiacruz12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 12:08:22 PM »
Well im in my 3rd year of University and I was also a 4.0+ student in highschool, Us overachievers tend to get anxiety from school work despite how well we do. The best advice I can give you is that in college the only pressure that will be put on you is from yourself so all you have to do is remind yourself that you have a great mind and you are well prepared. Just dont procrastinate because that is when i feel i get anxiety because I sometimes leave studying down to the last minute. If you have taken any AP classes trust me they are much more difficult than any class you will encounter in the first years of college. Good luck and remember to take it easy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Taz0123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 06:55:44 PM »
I totally agree with celiacruz12, you put pressure on yourself. Procrastinating will hurt you in the long run, both in classes and emotionally.

That being said, if your college/university has a counselling program (even one where you talk to psychiatric students) might help you. My college had that, and I found it to be very helpful. I could talk to them about any issues, both personally and about classes. They even had a "quiet space" where students could take their exams if they didn't feel comfortable in the other spots. It was totally confidential, no records of you were kept except if you also had outside help you wanted to inform them of. So, see if your place has that.

Good Luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline LyssaLou

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 10:04:02 PM »
Thanks taz, I'll have to check Into that once I start college. I'm not comfortable around crowds and such and taking a test in a different area might help me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jamison1325

• Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 12:55:47 AM »
My best advice is to not procrastinate. It adds so much stress and anxiety.

My 2nd best advice is to take your time. There is so much pressure put on young adults with going away to college, having the college lifestyle, student loans, and figuring out what you want to do. Everyone is different and with me, it took time to figure out what I really wanted to do. I was a bit nervous going back to college to get my bachelors (granted I am only 25) but I am finding more people are waiting to go back to college.

Do not rush anything or let people make decisions for you :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tyler_hart93

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 06:45:36 PM »
I began college about 3 years ago. I started out in nursing school because I love the healthcare field and I love helping others. I was dropped right before my final semester due to grades because my gpa had dropped below a 75 grade average. Anyways, I felt abandoned and completely used. I was overwhelmed and couldn't believe i let something i had become so passionate about slip through my finger tips. So then i didn't really know what to do or where to go and i began to notice myself having heart palpitations. Well i went into EMT school. I earned my basic EMT and then took the AEMT portion. I passed national registry and now work for a non-emergent service transporting dialysis patients. Everything had been going great until i decided to further my education and began my associates degree in Paramedicine. I started school in January and now 6 months later i have developed some anxiety/depression episodes. I have my good days and my bad days, but on my bad days i don't even want to get out of bed. Its hard to go to school, work, and do all the clinical time that's asked of me when i cant hardly make myself get up and go. Its been a rough couple of months. I have recently seen a Dr. about my issues and he definitely believes its anxiety related. He put me on Fluoxetine which is a generic drug for Prozac. Only 10mg at the moment, but he wants to see me again at the end of the month to determine if he needs to increase the dose. But i had been having panic attacks, especially when i drive. I honestly felt like i was going to die, and it would happen out of nowhere. I feel extremely dizzy a lot and i stay really weak feeling. Hopefully the meds and chatting with others with the same issues will give me some rest from this. I look forward to completing paramedic school in December and i refuse to let this get the best of me. Good luck on your endeavors and always vent your emotions to someone who will listen, they usually mean the most to you anyways. College is a struggle and often relentless with what it ask from you mentally and physically, but if it was impossible no one would ever make it through (:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: