Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Finally at 50 mg of zoloft  (Read 511 times)

Offline Drielly84

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Finally at 50 mg of zoloft
« on: June 07, 2014, 09:27:21 AM »
This morning was finally the day to increase my zoloft to 50 mg
I've been on it for three weeks starting at 12.5 mg in order to help ease the side effects
Do those three weeks even count at such low doses? Anxiety has gotten better, still feel pretty depressed at times so hopefully now that I'm on 50 mg I will begin to see more of an improvement in the next upcomg weeks....
Thanks for all the continual support on here from wonderful people... Especially since I don't have much support at home sometimes
Bookmark and Share

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Finally at 50 mg of zoloft
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 03:49:35 PM »
Ugh feel off today.... Just want to lay down all day and feeling down....is this from the increased dose? Want to sleep it off but can't really fully fall asleep.... Any advice?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 88
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 05:37:31 PM »
Do those three weeks even count at such low doses?

Unfortunately, not a lot. Effectively, the 3-12 week time to kick-in clock has only now started running. :( 

Ugh feel off today.... Just want to lay down all day and feeling down....is this from the increased dose?

Probably, though it could at least partly be your mind messing with you too.

Want to sleep it off but can't really fully fall asleep.... Any advice?

If you have Benadryl available it could help you sleep. Most of the antihistamines are sedating.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 07:08:18 PM »
Yeah I figured that now is the real time to wait and see a difference in the next several weeks....
Feel better now, think I'm just having an off day
Got into a fight with the hubby last night and it really set off my emotions.... Benadryl doesn't really knock me out :/ I just relaxed and slept lightly throughout the day
Which means I may be up tonight
Oh well it has to get better sometime
Bookmark and Share

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 07:18:59 PM »
Another question..... How rare is serotonin syndrome? Was reading about some side effects of a med my friend just started and it's scaring me cause some of the symptoms of this syndrome are similar to those of starting a new med.... I need to just stay away from google!!!!  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 09:39:35 PM »
How rare is serotonin syndrome?

Much rarer than Dr Google would have us believe. Very few doctors would have ever seen a genuine case though they have have diagnosed it. SS is rare even when SSRIs are taken in massive overdose, and almost always occurs when two serotonergic meds are taken together because the combined effect can be greater than 1+1=2. SSRIs together with either MAOI class antidepressants, the tricyclics clomipramine and imipramine, illicit drugs such as MDMA (which causes hyper secretion of serotonin), or the synthetic opiates such as pethidine and tramadol are the main risk combinations.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Faron79

• Rock-n-Roller!
  • Mood: Silly
    Silly
  • Thoughts CANNOT harm you...therefore fear cannot..
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 12:41:49 AM »
You have NO chance of developing SS!
It's so rare, it's barely worth mentioning...

I'm up to 125mg/day now, & things are much better for me! May even scale back to an even 100mg., but it's only been 9 weeks total.
I started ***** 25mg/day for a week, then 50mg/day for another week, then 75mg, then 100...and now 125mg/day for ~~ a month now.
I did feel kinda nervous/on edge/slightly panicky periodically for a day or 2 after each step up.
I'm a 52 y/o male, & doing very well on Sertraline!

Faron
Bookmark and Share

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 08:36:50 AM »
Thanks for sharing your succes with zoloft! I hope it will work for me as well!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Faron79

• Rock-n-Roller!
  • Mood: Silly
    Silly
  • Thoughts CANNOT harm you...therefore fear cannot..
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 09:23:54 AM »
It WILL.
NO doubt about that...it just takes time. :yes:
Yes...the build-up can seem slow, & sometimes uneven, but you'll get there!
You're still on a fairly low dose. People respond differently at different levels obviously...

All the best!
Faron
Bookmark and Share

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 03:51:33 PM »
Thanks Faron :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 03:32:23 PM »
Day 3 on 50 mg and feel okay
Sleep still doesn't come easy and has to take an ambien last night
OB would rather me take ambien than the trazedone but I will ask my psych about this next week
Trazedone worked so well for me in the past and I would hope it still would work for me
Even though school is out for the summer I had a productive day and was not worried or phased at all that I was alone all day or had to run errands by myself
This is good since I haven't been able to not panic when alone nor be able to run errands by myself in a long time
Hope this is a good sign of more good days ahead
Bookmark and Share

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 09:56:02 PM »
Saw my new psych today and I love her!!! So knowledgeable about meds and really felt great and hopeful after I left!  Has even said I could go back on the trazodone up to 50 mg for sleep at night and that all is well and will be well with my pregnancy! I would rather take the trazodone than ambien so I'm hoping the trazodone stil works for me!

Will the trazodone work the first night or should I expect a few days before it really helps my sleep? I don't remember how quickly it worked for me the first time 12 years ago
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 12:04:45 AM »
Saw my new psych today and I love her!!!

That's good news  :happy0151: Having someone you connect with can make a big difference to how your treatment progresses. 

Will the trazodone work the first night or should I expect a few days before it really helps my sleep? I don't remember how quickly it worked for me the first time 12 years ago

It can go either way depending on your individual biology. Trazodone acts on histamine receptors, not the benzodiazepine ones targeted by Ambien, so if trazodone doesn't work for a night or two you can still take your usual Ambien dose if necessary to help you sleep.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 09:53:48 PM »
A little over a week on 50 mg and I'm doing okay.... I have occasional anxiety still but it's very manageable and doesn't last long
Still not feeling 100% but I think I'm getting there
Still haven't taken the trazedone that my psych said was okay to take.... I'm nervous about overloading the baby on meds :/ am I being silly? Also my husband doesn't want me to take it, but it worked so well for me before for sleep and I don't want to take ambien on and off
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 01:59:38 AM »
Still not feeling 100% but I think I'm getting there

Great news, especially given you've only been on a therapeutic dose for a week.  :happy0151:

Still haven't taken the trazedone that my psych said was okay to take.... I'm nervous about overloading the baby on meds :/ am I being silly?

The FDA has assigned trazodone as a category C med in pregnancy. Many other antidepressants are also cat. C. At doses 15 to 50 times higher than the human dose for depression, i.e. 225-300mg/day, some birth defects were seen in mice. Given you're on only a small dose for insomnia and well advanced in the pregnancy I think the risk is very small. There are women delivering healthy babies after taking high anti depression doses.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: